Father time has cought up with my CLS panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Sad to say but its happening and there is nothing I can do about it.
My panels are showing signs of resonance. It is not the common type that can be hair dryer fixed. I have been nursing them along for a while with that. It works well for a small resonance. However; When it starts to be heard on the center areas it over. You can fix it for a day but Father Time will catch up. He is relentless.

I hear it a lot now on acoustic guitar works(I have been listening to Kaki King lately....Highly recomended)

The sad thing is neither panel is down in DB. It is more common to have this happen on the large CLs full range than the narow hybrids that usually lose DB before resonating.

I will be ordering a new pair and will report the differences if any. Im not thinking there will be a whole lot. Maybe a bit more detail..

Sorry to hear that C.A.P. Time to start saving up for that new set I guess. We'll have a moment of silence here on the forum when they finally give up their last song.

Thankfully Martin Logan still supports our wonderfull CLS's. I'd bet they will be better than ever after the replacement.

I will be ordering a new pair and will report the differences if any. Im not thinking there will be a whole lot. Maybe a bit more detail..
Maybe it's time to change the last letter in your speaker's name ? :devil:

C.A.P. sorry to hear that, but I'm sure they'll sound even better once you get them back up.

Will you be upgrading to the sensing power supply at the same time??

What do new panels for them run now?

Are clear spars available?

How about a micro-perf CLS panel do they make one??

Sorry for all the questions, but eventually I'll be in the same boat.

C.A.P. - how about a renovation as per http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7424???

Or do you think it is impractical for a CLS panel???

I think that renovate thread is a classic I hope most won't miss - but it is in the DIY section, so I fear it won't get much of a look in.

It's a bummer when panels go - been there more than once. Next time, I will definately try this. What is there to lose?

Have a go at renovating your CLS..

As mentioned above, I did this to my Sequels.

What I didn't mention is that I didn't use any hairdryer treatment for a wrinkle or two, but was able to lift the edge stripping from the rear stator (it's sticky) and just stretch it a tiny bit to get the tension back.

If you don't renovate them, don't chuck 'em, give them to me!!!!

Lee

that is the one major thing that sucks about martin logan is the dam panels eventually go bad:mad:

that is the one major thing that sucks about martin logan is the dam panels eventually go bad:mad:

as do voice coils, suspension rubber, etc on dynamic speakers !

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The deal with full range panels is they have 3sections working all at one time but yet connected. Its actually a marvel in design. if you have not seen a CLS panel they are much different than the standard hybryd panels with just horizontial spars. The side bass sections are seperated by a vertical spar that open up on the top and bottomso it can also work in phase with the center section.

As for clear spar ........Nope ....Micro Perf...Nope...They do use the newest coating material. The spacing and the design will not alow clear spar and micro perf.

Yes it sucks....but where can I get a set of $900 speakers that will blow most $20k speakers away.

As WB said if I came home with CLX it would be the second X I would have.......

Not recommended,but try a heat gun.

I know it is not recommended,but it may work.I only used it as a last resort and it worked for me.I used to own a pair of CLS speakers and had the same panel resonance.Martin Logan told me to only do it as the last alternative.Put the heat gun on low and hold it about 18 inches from the panel.Move it very quick and smooth or it will burn a hole in the Mylar.It did work on my panels if you wish to try it.I will repeat that this is only the last option before you throw the panels away.If the heat gun is held too close or too long in the same spot it will melt the Mylar.If the panels are junk,you really have nothing to lose.Good luck.

yes I like the clx but I own spires and if I owned cls I would not buy them either we have great speakers no need to spend 20k

just time to order new panels

Hi CAP,

a further thought, if a little ambitious, you could try replacing the mylar film, noting where the dividing spars go, and recoat, as I did. I did quite a lot of research into stats before I tackled my project.

Another member called The gliding Dutchmen did a renovation on his CLS's, although not replacing the mylar.

If they were mine I'd have a go-and I'd replace the mylar used (which was probably >10uM) with 3.5uM stuff, as it is supposed to be incredible to listen to.

This stuff is not as hard as you think.

My project has made an amazing difference to my Sequels. All for 40 au dollars!

Best wishes,

Lee

how do the wires actually connect to the mylar????

The connection to the mylar is via a copper strip which is stuck to the mylar film and the wire is connected to that.

Lee

Oh I may use them for other projects like Jon Fo did. The new Mylar is not the problem. The tensioning the whole panel is. Its done under vacume tension.

I talked to Jim Power today they are making a set next week for me !

Excellent C.A.P - you'll have to let us know how the whole installation goes.

How much do they get for a new set again - $900.00? I'll have to keep it mind just like Wayne.

Oh I may use them for other projects like Jon Fo did. The new Mylar is not the problem. The tensioning the whole panel is. Its done under vacume tension.

I talked to Jim Power today they are making a set next week for me !

I saw a pair being power coated in the metal room on tuesday, maybe
those were yours!

I know this is may sound stupid but how does a vacume help with panel assembly I am very interested to know??

Back