Examining CLS II and IIa crossovers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tapepath

Reaction score
Hello,
The version I have (and enjoy very much) is the II that has been partially converted to the IIa version by the factory. Since I'm going to do the direct speaker wire connection to the PCB I thought I would examine the two crossovers. There appear to be two differences. One is the removal of the LCR notch filter and the second involves changing the contour network resistor value from 4 Ohms to 5 Ohms (in my crossover the LCR was eliminated, but the resistor value was left at 4 Ohms.
The notch filter seems to be tuned to 15 kHz and, I imagine, designed to eliminate a resonance peak. Since the panel design remained the same I wonder why the LCR filter was eliminated. It might be to make the speaker have a higher impedance at higher frequencies and thus an easier match for amplifiers? But if an owner has a compatible amp wouldn't the LCR filter improve the sound by eliminating a resonance?
My reasons for all of this is that I'm thinking of upgrading the crossover parts and wondered which crossover version is "best". Another thought would be to convert the "flat/soft" switch to a II/IIa selector, putting the LCR filter in and out. I'm not sure I can do the 4/5 Ohm resistor part, maybe a second toggle?
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and want to compliment everyone on a great ML forum!
Cheers!

They've changed approaches over the years, often modifying the LCR filters to re-voice the speaker or as you indicate, adjust for a resonance.

Since I’m not a CLS-connoisseur, I’ll defer to those that are about the mods you propose. But they seem reasonable.

Hello Jonathan,
Thanks for your comment. I've completed one of the speakers, directly connected the speaker wire to the PCB. Changed the "soft/flat" switch to go from II to IIa crossover. Replaced the fuse holder on the power supply board and generally cleaned all the necessary connections.
Now to do the second and see what the results are.
Cheers, Ken

Back