Ever see a Silver/Gold ceramic casing Audiophile Fuse?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - small scratch in the veneer on a really prominent part of your 'Logan - "slight" defect, but very significant all the same!!

The damage is "small in degree", but "sufficiently great to be worthy of attention" - especially to those of us that treat our speakers better than our wives!

If you were looking at purchasing those Logans and were negotiating a price, would you consider that scratch to be a slight defect? I don't think so. But this example is definitely better than your last one. I'm beginning to see your point. You are saying that an improvement in sound can be both small in degree (slightly tighter bass), yet sufficiently great to be worthy of attention (the bass sounds significantly better to me with the added tightness).

Ultimately, I still think "slight but significant" is a horrible choice of words when describing a perceived improvement in sound. Either it was a slight improvement or it was a significant improvement. Or maybe it was slightly significant. :D

This is becoming ridiculous, but it's all in good fun!

Either it was a slight improvement or it was a significant improvement. Or maybe it was slightly significant. :D

We almost see each other's points!! - let's put it this way then: You can have a major improvement, but insignificant.

Flattening out the frequency response of your system between 100,000Hz and 200,000Hz is a MAJOR improvement, but totally insignificant, right?

Just because something small is usually insignificant, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be insignificant.

Back to topic, I'd say this "slight but significant" guy could be taken either way - that is either, it's all in his imagination as you say Rich, or he meant what I'm trying to portray. Whatever the case, we'll never know.

As for fuses, as I've said before, whether they make a significant improvement or not - I don't care. Because you can make a *MORE* significant improvement by spending that money elsewhere in your system on more traditional upgrades.

Or maybe it was slightly significant. :D

It was more likely "Majorly insignificant!" ;)

Last edited:
When I read Francisco Duran's review of the High Fi tuning fuses I was intrigued and ordered a couple of these things for my preamps (ARC Ref 3 and ARC PH-5 phono)from our good buddies in Salina. They do affect the sound and in a positive way (in my system). What I hear is a decrease in the noise floor and a more effortless and fatigue free presentation of upper mids and highs. I also feel dynamics were improved. It is much like the effect I got when I added a Shunyata Python powercord for the Ref 3 (or substituted ESP powercords for my stock Summit powercords) just not as pronounced. I have spent more money on less effective tweaks than these.

This is becoming ridiculous, but it's all in good fun!

LOL! Thanks, Amey01. I have not enjoyed such an insignificant discussion this much in a long time.

As for fuses, as I've said before, whether they make a significant improvement or not - I don't care. Because you can make a *MORE* significant improvement by spending that money elsewhere in your system on more traditional upgrades.

Amen to that.

When I read Francisco Duran's review of the High Fi tuning fuses I was intrigued and ordered a couple of these things for my preamps (ARC Ref 3 and ARC PH-5 phono)from our good buddies in Salina. They do affect the sound and in a positive way (in my system). What I hear is a decrease in the noise floor and a more effortless and fatigue free presentation of upper mids and highs. I also feel dynamics were improved. It is much like the effect I got when I added a Shunyata Python powercord for the Ref 3 (or substituted ESP powercords for my stock Summit powercords) just not as pronounced. I have spent more money on less effective tweaks than these.

I won't criticise what I haven't heard, but surely a complany like ARC wouldn't let a masterpiece like the REF-3 out the door if it's performance could be improved so easily and cheaply? Surely?

We're not even talking about the LS-26 - this is the cost no object REF-3!

I have 2 of the fuses the OP posted.... it came with my Cary 05.

Hi:
At the risk of being labeled delusional, I have to report that my experience with the HiFi-Tuning Fuses was positive. No, I didn’t follow the scientific method and do blind testing (that doesn’t sound like fun at all). I used my ears, just like I did a few years ago when I auditioned speakers and decided that MartinLogans were the ones for me.

I was at my favorite audio store (http://www.mykindofmusic.com) yesterday listening to music on the new Luxman integrated amp (http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=8&id=31) paired up with the Reference 3a Grand Veena (http://www.reference3a.com/grandveena.htm). After 3 hours of enjoyment, the owner said he’d purchased HiFiTuning Fuses for an amp in another room in the store. He replaced the fuse, and after listening to some music he said he heard improvements similar to the ones I experienced and to the ones reported in this thread. That gave me the courage to make this posting :)

Hi:
At the risk of being labeled delusional, I have to report that my experience with the HiFi-Tuning Fuses was positive. No, I didn’t follow the scientific method and do blind testing (that doesn’t sound like fun at all). I used my ears, just like I did a few years ago when I auditioned speakers and decided that MartinLogans were the ones for me.

I was at my favorite audio store (http://www.mykindofmusic.com) yesterday listening to music on the new Luxman integrated amp (http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=8&id=31) paired up with the Reference 3a Grand Veena (http://www.reference3a.com/grandveena.htm). After 3 hours of enjoyment, the owner said he’d purchased HiFiTuning Fuses for an amp in another room in the store. He replaced the fuse, and after listening to some music he said he heard improvements similar to the ones I experienced and to the ones reported in this thread. That gave me the courage to make this posting :)

I had a chance to listen to both the new Luxman gear and the Grand Veena's at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last fall. I've always been a fan of the Luxman gear ever since I had one of their tapedecks back in the 80's. Great Industrial Design as well.

The Grand Veens would be on my short list of speakers to consider someday should I stray from the Martin Logan fold. They weren't excessively good at anything except just plain playing music - which they excelled at! If you're a music fan rather than a gear head they deserve a serious audition.

Regarding the main point of this thread - my mantra all along on this board is that once you get to a certain level of resolution in your system, there is a point where EVERYTHING matters. Once you are there it is fairly easy to discerne the effects of such seemingly non-significant contributors as fuses and cables and stands and isolation devices. If you can hear the differences in your system, and you like what you are hearing, you should consider yourself fortunate and enjoy. To dispute or dismiss such things without hearing and judging them for oneselves emperically is to my mind no less ill informed than than those who would distain double blind or other scientific methodologies. Experiment and think for yourselves.

FWIW, Rich & Cherian I am fully in your camp !! While I too spend time over at "AA" there is a reason for the second word being "Asylum" !!

Oh I have been over there at the Asylum. I am a MUG member ! from way back ;)

Latest posts

Back