Emotiva October Sale

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralflar-
Are they willing to discount prices when buying multiple items? I only ask because of your last statement (I will be purchasing three or four of the 2 channels :music:) And is shipping included in the price?
Nik

Are they willing to discount prices when buying multiple items? I only ask because of your last statement (I will be purchasing three or four of the 2 channels :music:) And is shipping included in the price?
Nik

Nik,

I think the discounts are offered periodically only as needed to move stock and from what I've seen only on pre-pro/amp combos, not on multiples of the same item. Shipping is extra (via fedex ground) but they do it on a "blended" cost basis, apparently not using shipping/handling as a profit center.

As ralflar is our defacto resident Emotiva expert, if I'm off on this I'm sure he'll correct me. ;)

Ralflar-
Nik

I'd e-mail them and ask. A lot of places are willing to do something like that...especially ones like this that places high importance on providing a real value for their customers. You could even pose it as..."I'm looking at either 3 or 4, but the 4th one puts the price just a tad out of my reach...is there any sort of quantity discount you offer that might help me afford the 4th one I'm hoping for?" - That way...it helps them (selling a 4th) by giving you a discount... Just a thought.

ralflar;675500 You want to look at those backplane pictures again. (1) It is the [i said:
Sunfire[/i] which lacks the XLR terminals!
(2) "Sonic Holography". Beg your pardon?

I was looking at the pics on the Emotiva website of the MMC-1. The only XLR jack it has is for a subwoofer output. Since this is the only Pre//Pro currently listed ont he Emotiva website, its all I had to compare the Sunfire to.

The Sunfire amps all have 7.1 or 9.1 XLR outputs. All the way back to the TGP-1...

Neither of these units have Balanced (XLR) inputs though, which is one of the main reasons Ive been holding out on the Sunfire--The XLR outs of my Benchmark DAC sound WAY better than the RCA outs, and I'd like to continue using that connection if I can...

Sonic Holography is a digital soundfield processing scheme tha tSuncire (and Carver) uses to produce some interesting soundstage effects in 2-channel. I'm currently using my Carver C-4000t in the tape loop of my Krell pre to do this processing (the older Carver gear does Sonic Holography in the Analogue, the newer Sunfires (TGP-III and newer) do it in the digital domain).

You can read all the reviews you want abou tSonic Holography and it really won't mean anything until you actually hear it on a properly set-up system. I don't use it all the time (Never for HT, and only sometimes on CDs) but when I do use it, with recordings that it compliments, it gives an amazing amount of 3-d extension to the soundstage--depth, width, AND height. You've never really heard the "Time" track on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" until you've heard it with a properly set up Sonic Holography rig...

--Richard

Ralflar-
Nik
During promotional sales shipping is usually included in the price. This was also the case in July when I bought. And since I bought 4 components - 3 of which were on sale, 1 was not - I got an extra discount on top of the sales prices.

At other times shipping is not included in the price.

Nik,

If you are going to buy 3 or even 4 of the XPA-2s I would expect that Emotiva will waive the shipping. The situation now is different from when I bought though. Back then they wanted to move wares, now they have a waiting list. But who knows, they might give you an extra 10%. Can you wait 6 months for a sale?

Another tip: don't use email, pick up the phone and call them.

Two more amps have been announced - inofficially - they XPA-1 and XPA-3. The first is a monoblock the latter a 3-channel amp. Preliminary specs say that the XPA-1 is going to produce 1000W into 4 Ohm. Who needs that much power anyway?

Richard,

The MMC-1 is a cheaper version (different case, XLRs removed) of the Emo DMC-1 on which the TG IV is based. The DMC-1 does have balanced outputs.

However, I thought you were referring to the Symphonic Reference stereo pre-amp versus the Emo RSP-1, see the end of post #10 in this thread. In that case it is the Emo which has the balanced outs.

Thanks for the info on Sonic Holography.

Nik,

I think the discounts are offered periodically only as needed to move stock and from what I've seen only on pre-pro/amp combos, not on multiples of the same item. Shipping is extra (via fedex ground) but they do it on a "blended" cost basis, apparently not using shipping/handling as a profit center.

As ralflar is our defacto resident Emotiva expert, if I'm off on this I'm sure he'll correct me. ;)
You are quite right. There was a recent discussion on one of the Emotiva boards whether Emotiva overcharged to shipping. The shipping charge is a flat rate for the whole of the US i.e. it costs the same to ship 80 pounds to Kansas or California. The shipping includes all handling charges, something one can appreciate more once you have handled 70 pounds of amp in its shipping box yourself.

Talking about the shipping box: think about the box your Logans came in shrunk to amplifier proportions and double-boxed. The amp is in a black cloth bag to protect it from scratches, then cradled in styrofoam all around within the inner box. That inner box is surrounded by a sturdy outer carton.

As for being Emo expert, thanks for the roses, but I really would prefer it if interested Loganeers picked up the phone and talked to the head designer Lonnie. (I have his last name somewhere but can't find it right now.) I am sure he has stakes in the company, but he is readily accessible by phone and interesting to talk to. He reminded me of Dusty Vawter.

Yes I can wait thats not a problem...... ok well maybe it is! I would get the monoblock since I was going to run the 2 channel bridged for my Logos. I am also interested in their Pre/ Pro the x-series which will have the 1.3 HDMI (SIX IN AND TWO OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the 1080 scaling, and balanced in/outs. So it might be five pieces at that point!
Nik

In a word, the LPA-1 and RPA-1 sound neutral, fast, and dynamic. They have clarity and detail. The RPA-1 punches well in the low octaves. (Can't comment on the LPA-1 in this respect - I use it in movie mode i.e. the sub does the low bass work.) It plays well above its perceived value.

The RPA-1, driving Vantages, reminds my of my CIA monoblocks. It has a similar sound signature. Whenever I inserted the RPA-1 into the system I thought, surprise, that's fine, I don't think I miss the D-200s. A few weeks later when I put the D-200s back in I thought, yes they do do everything a little better after all. They have more of the elusive PRAT, and all the other stuff which makes you tap your toes, twitch rythmically in your recliner, pull weird faces, do a little jig. A few weeks later I went back to the RPA-1, and I was back to, surprise, that's just fine, toe-tapping, twitching and all.

In other words, I have not conducted an A/B test yet, like I did with the RSP-1 pre-amp vs my passive line stage. I agree that's very unscientific. FWIW, I believe that I enjoy the D-200s more after all. But isn't the fact that I did not feel compelled to do an A/B quite telling in itself. The RPA-1 certainly is not bad at all, independent of price.

Now factor in the superb build quality, the looks, features. Then look at the price. Gasp. $450 for an LPA-1? $700 for an XPA-2 or XPA-5. The RPA-2 price will be in this ball park also. (I got my RPA-1 on a sale for under $550 shipped - well I bought the other stuff, too. Under the skin the RPA-2 will be its twin.)

If it is your habit to listen at loud volumes, make sure you have dedicated circuits feeding each amp. I hear these amps want Amperes when driven.

Ralflar - thanks for your thoughts.... What type of amps are the D-200s - and at what price point? I am not familiar with them. It looks like the new ampx (the X series) have better specs than the old ones... I swear it showed the 5 channel weighing in at about the same weight as the 2 channel amp. I thought the amp modules weighed about 10 lbs each in these?

NAD 116 vs Emotiva RSP-1

Ok this is killing me!! I have been reading up on this Pre amp, RSP-1. It sounds great. I have a NAD 116 about 10 - 12 years old, paid $800.00 for it new. Would this Emotiva pre amp be a upgrade? I would jump at the chance if anyone thought it would be. I believe the price for this unit is $629.00!?!? That is a killer price when you start looking at other equipment, and you are told that you will need to lay out 2 - 3 G's for a good pre amp. Frankly I don't have that kind of cash right now to throw at this hobby, but $629.......maybe.
Any thoughts on the NAD, Emotiva comparison?

Doug - out

Timm,

Sorry for the late response. D-200 info is here: http://www.ciaudio.com/

Regarding XPA-2 vs XPA-5: the same power supply which feeds 2 channels in one model has to drive 5 channels in the other. The XPA-2 also has more heat sinks per channel than the XPA-5. Finally, a lot of the total weight of both amplifier models is contributed by the chassis. All this explains the similar weights.
Ralflar - thanks for your thoughts.... What type of amps are the D-200s - and at what price point? I am not familiar with them. It looks like the new ampx (the X series) have better specs than the old ones... I swear it showed the 5 channel weighing in at about the same weight as the 2 channel amp. I thought the amp modules weighed about 10 lbs each in these?

Since I don't know the NAD or high end active pre-amps in general I can't comment on differences. As for the RSP-1, I like my passive line stage better. You can search emotivalounge.com for my assessment of the RSP-1. While you are there search also for related posts by "kunayama". He is someone who unlike myself has owned other active pre-amps. He criticizes the RSP-1 for a higher than desirable noise floor, a sentiment which I do not share. Perhaps I do not listen loud enough to notice system noise. My issues were with imaging, and could be the results of my preference for passives.

Despite all that I believe that the RSP-1 is worth a try. Emotiva components can be returned for full refund within 30 days. You'd have to pay for shipping though, so it would be best to wait for another free-shipping sale.

Further, the visuals of the RSP-1 are obsolete. Its successor the RSP-2 will look like the other current Emo amps and processors. The RSP-2 will use the same electronics as the RSP-1, however.
Ok this is killing me!! I have been reading up on this Pre amp, RSP-1. It sounds great. I have a NAD 116 about 10 - 12 years old, paid $800.00 for it new. Would this Emotiva pre amp be a upgrade? I would jump at the chance if anyone thought it would be. I believe the price for this unit is $629.00!?!? That is a killer price when you start looking at other equipment, and you are told that you will need to lay out 2 - 3 G's for a good pre amp. Frankly I don't have that kind of cash right now to throw at this hobby, but $629.......maybe.
Any thoughts on the NAD, Emotiva comparison?

Doug - out

Wow, 3 pages of posts. Ralf, I'd say for a post that was seemingly "abandoned", it certainly has taken a life of its own on!

Perhaps Emotiva should consider putting you on the payroll. :D

This thread was a sleeping zombie until someone raised the undead. I believe it was *you* ;).

Latest posts

Back