Effect of large objects between ML speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
I have a pair of Aeon i's with a large TV (52 inch rear pro) in between.

I have a nice sounding system now, given that I have spent a lot of money on decent electronics and cabling.

refer:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1987

However, my system does not image very clearly. I believe the main cluprit is the TV in the middle.

My question is whether other ML owners with large TVs in the middle have noticed the same effect.

This topic has been brought up on the forum several times and the consensus has been what ever you put in between your speakers will have an effect on the sound stage of your speakers. I noticed it with my Ascents and 60” Sony Grand Vega TV, the more I pulled my speakers out from the TV the better my speakers would image. I have now sold the Grand Vega and have gone front projection, the difference from having a big box between the speakers and an open space is dramatic.

EDIT:
I noticed in your system photo your Aeons have a lot of toe in. You may want to toe them out some, your sound stage should open up.

Last edited:
I noticed it with my Ascents and 60” Sony Grand Vega TV, the more I pulled my speakers out from the TV the better my speakers would image.
I noticed in your system photo your Aeons have a lot of toe in. You may want to toe them out some, your sound stage should open up.

Frank,
I'm in agreement with Joe
Your toe in looks way to aggresive
Try the Flashlight technique as a starting point,this worked very well with me.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=125&highlight=flashlight
Also in agreement with Joe, the more out in front of the Tv the better the imaging, my panels are about a foot further into the room than the TV screen.

you can also hang a thick blanket over your tv to help with some of the smearing. And, I also agree that your toe-in looks quite agressive. Maybe even try tilting them forward some. I took my front spikes off and left only the rear ones on and noticed a positive improvement.

Last edited:
Up until mid December, I’ve had a large rack that I built (with the expectations of placing a 50-60 inch TV on it) along with a 27inch CRT (yes, I’m embarrassed to say that, I’ve had TV envy for a long time) on it. I’ve recently made some changes to my system that has allowed me to move my rack and TV out from in between my speakers (see System 90, but it has not been updated yet). The sound stage opened up considerably, maybe a better description is that the sound staged filled in between the speakers. Vocals are more focused, actully anything centered has better focus.

I also tried placing a couple of different types blankets over my TV without much luck, although, I know others here have had very good success with this.

Frank, Good morning, I tend to agree with the others as your present set-up (TV , dramatic toe-in, close proximity to walls, etc) has taken its toll on imaging and soundstage. After reading your system post you mention room remodling is on the way !! Good !! in the meantime try the blanket thing and a little less toe-in, hopefully offering a temporary cure !

I'm copying this post from another thread...

Room acoustics play a LOT more important role than most folks think. Having a large RPTV between your speakers can certainly play havoc with your soundstage, imaging, and even tonality. Pulling the speakers out further, beyond the plane of the RPTV can help, as can throwing a blanket over the TV, but only to a certain extent.

I'm cursed with having BOTH a large RPTV and multimedia wall unit between my Summits, and likewise plan to eventually replace with a wall-mounted flat screen. In the meantime, I constructed an acoustic fabric cover for the RPTV, which eliminates the nasty reflections off the large glass screen. It has made my system "tolerable" until I can say adios to both the wall unit and RPTV.

More details about blankets, etc on this thread...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~td...ead.php?t=2754
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Do it, it works!

You could also lean some acoustic foam against the TV in addition and or above the TV on the wall behind it.

kach22i, I am actually using a lamb skin/fur thing since it is quite thick and fluffy. It's slightly longer and wider than the 42" plasma. I think it helps a little, but my main problem lies with other room issues. I need acoustic panels more than anything.

Cover the TV! A thick wool blanket works for me, or you can try something more permanent like Sleepysurf!

Also, you may want to try something softer on the floor - between the speakers and the listening chair. Of course, that depends on the state of the rest of your room (if we're getting in to room acoustics then we could be here all day), but hard surfaces are what you need to look to if you're getting a messed image.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses.

I agree the toe in is a bit harsh - I was experimenting when i took the photo

I tried the blanket over the TV - it did help a bit.

However I suspect one of the biggest issues is that the speakers may be too close to gether, they are less than 2m apart (about 1.75m) - I am going to try for them to be at least another metre apart which will require some rearrangement of the room - with the wife's approval of course :)

Last edited:
Try putting even more between the speakers! Yes, move the speakers out away from the tv and electronics, turn the speakers 'out' so they face into the room more. That will open up the sound stage. Measure the distance from the wall to the inside and outside of the speakers and ensure both speaker's measure the same. Put as much room between the speakers as you can! Really, this will add sound stage width. The next step is to put more space between the back wall and the speakers as you can. Follow ML recommendation when you can. I own the Quests so the distance from the back wall maybe different than for my speakers, but I have found that increasing the distance from the back wall increases the depth of the sound stage. You won't break anything and those speakers are small enough to move them around alot! Take an afternoon and tweak them as much as you can. The only 'constant' is that both speakers measure measure the same from the back wall to the inside (right + left) and the outside (right + left). The latter ensures equal 'toe in' (sound stage depth) and the former ensures 'toe out' (sound stage width and image centralization)

Back