Driving a Ferrari with Flat Tires - Don't buy another component until you try this!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
I am insulating my attic, so out of curiosity I threw 6 bales of R38 insulation in the corners of my listening room.

Results: WOW!!!!!! 50% improvement in what I was hearing!!!!

I already own 2 Mondo traps and they made a big difference, but what I have now is unreal! The bass is visceral, musical. The Vantage is truly a World Class speaker as all of the reviews have said, but I have never heard it this good before.

According to Ethan, the Mondo traps should perform better than the insulation bales. Anyone considering doing an upgrade, try throwing the bales of insulation in the room. Do A/B testing between the component and the room treatment. Now, I almost feel embarrassed commenting on components without checking if the room is treated.

Thanks to Dan (DTB300), Dave (Twich54), JonFo, and Burke for turning me onto what room treatments can do. This stuff is experiential, so it is hard to imagine what kind of impact it can have. Try it to experience for yourself. You can always return the insulation to Lowes or Home Depot.

Last edited:
I love raw old fashioned testing with old school thoughts ! Ill be trying that !

Not much to add about trapping, I'm sold on it!

But, isn't it a little hot to be insulating an attic? I'm originally from Blue Island so I think I can recall the muggy weather there.

Anyway, good luck and drink fluids!!

Gordon

Good find David ! but as Gordon said....wouldn't Oct be a better month to insulate the attic !

On the serious side of things, it's great to find the simplest and least exspensive tweaks that can yield some of the biggest benefits !

Good find David ! but as Gordon said....wouldn't Oct be a better month to insulate the attic !

On the serious side of things, it's great to find the simplest and least exspensive tweaks that can yield some of the biggest benefits !

I am having someone else do it! I just bought the materials.

My point, though, is that one cannot imagine what huge difference this stuff makes without experiencing it. Adding a couple of traps is like getting nice interconnects or power filtering. Adding 6 or 8 to a small room is like going from a Yamaha to Gordon's new amps. The more the better.

David,

I started with a box of Auralex foam panels... Just placing 2'x2' behind the Vistas I noticed less high end smear and echo. Then I made some DIY panels with pegboard, 3'' fiberglass and linen. I tried the 2'x4' DIY's behind the Vistas and that sounded even better. Then after the advice from JonFo, Ethan and others I bought a pair of Real Traps MiniTraps. I set those behind the Vistas and set the DIY's in the corners. More bass definition and less ear fatigue...

Now I have 4 Mini-Traps, 2 Corner-Mondo Traps and 3 Tri-Corner along with the Auralex foam and DIY panels spread around and my room is working for the music rather than against it. The room is turning out to be a good component in my system. Experiment and learn. :)

I'll post photos soon...
Satch

Great to hear you are benefiting from the treatments.

When people talk about improvements from various source components, I always wonder if they really can hear the differences, as the room is indeed such a big part of the equation, everything else seems to be to the right of the decimal point.

I'm getting ready for part two of my room treatment saga (and there will be a part three), and even now, the system sounds miles better than before. I can't wait for to complete the plan.

As Satch attested to, adding treatments is a new dimension of quality in the ML experience.

Back