Drag Racing on the "Mtn"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt very much that too many of you folks have seen Snowmobiles Drag Racing on a concrete/asphalt drag strip before, but in certian areas of the country it's quite popular in the off season.

While visiting my son last week outside of Denver I went with him to the track (Bandimere Raceway) where he campaigns his '97 Yammie. It runs high 11's on the mountian (stock sled except for pipes).

The one pic is of him about to go up against a 1475cc Artic Cat (Hooper motor) that runs in the 8's up on the mtn !..... almost 6000' of elevation.

Attachments

• IMG_8089.JPG
    IMG_8089.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8090.JPG
    IMG_8090.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8103.JPG
    IMG_8103.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 111
Are they running 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile dragstrips?

Either way it must be a thrill to do that on snowmobile.

Are they running 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile dragstrips?.

Craig, 1/4 mile, the big boys on the mtn are running trap speeds of 146-152 mph.

few more pics of the facility attached

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 98
How do you drag race with Snowmobiles??

Same as any other vehicle, try to get your reaction time (mash the throtle) as close as possible to when the Green Lite comes on the "Tree", hopefully you "hook", and then cross the finish line ("take the stripe" ) ahead of your opponet a 1/4 mile later !

With respect to sleds, the snow track is replaced with a smooth rubber track and the front skis are replaced by a pair of 'in-line skate' wheel set-up. Jetting and clutching are optimized for acceleration.

After he got done at the track Dave and his wife Shirley joined my wife Sandy and I at one of our favorite local spots "Beso de Arte" right in the foot of the Rockies about a mile from the track in Morrison.

Here's a few shots of us all having a great afternoon together...

Attachments

• D&S1.jpg
    D&S1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 66
  • D&S4.jpg
    D&S4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 58
  • D&S2.jpg
    D&S2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 62
  • D&S3.jpg
    D&S3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 61
If it has a engine and it goes fast someone will always find a way to race it! I have seen many in MI do the same thing at the track !

Craig, 1/4 mile, the big boys on the mtn are running trap speeds of 146-152 mph.

few more pics of the facility attached

That is fast. I dragged raced my '98 Buell White Lightning a few times but I would have been blown away by a Snowmobile???

The Jet Ski crowd had their official sanctioned Drag Race in Sebastian, Florida this year. I bought a couple of used but well maintained Jet Skis recently and could get into drag racing one of those but then I need another expensive hobby like I need...

Back