Does tube gear fully "warm up" if no signal?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Just curious. I've had my C-J tube pre-amp for a few years now, and typically turn it on >30 mins before listening. However, once I start playing music, it seems to sound even better after another 30+ mins. Just wondering if I'm really "warming it up" just by turning it on, or is it better to run low-level signal/music through it during the "warmup" period? (FYI, it's otherwise in low-power standby mode when powered off).

Hola Sleepysurf, your ears are working very good!, and you are right with your finding. Warming is not enough, the design of C-J and most tube gears, had taken in consideration the temperature of all components at the PC board. Tube likes to be a little bit hotter than warmer. You can turn your preamp on, and feed a signal to it, go and do some computer working , and them come back and listen. The sound when it is at the right temperature, the stage and the size of the instruments is stunning. Richer harmonic texture and more been there is the experience. Also, the sweet spot opens up. The sense of the fingering and plucking the strings at the guitar is palpable, and the deepness of the bass improves. It is easier to understand what the surrounded musicians are doing with the main artist, and if you are listening only one instrument, the feeling of the musician playing is breathless. The harmonica played by Toots Thielemans is alwasya wow! The Paquitlo D´Rivera clarinet is warm with the right touch. Michel Camilo plays the piano with an outstanding clarity, Salvatore Accardo, old violin recording of Paganini Concertos is something that must be listened with the tubes warmed one hour after. Yes, my dear friend, your ears are right!. Happy listening!

I don't hear any difference with my ARC gear if I leave it on with music playing or without signal. Sound does get better within the first few minutes as amplifiers stabilize. Tubes run hot by nature :D
Normally small signal tubes are operating in class-A so they get full power without signal. Power tubes are run in class-AB which means some operating power without signal and this increase only in case of playing music quite loud.

My tube amps need around 20 to 30 minutes playing music through them to warm up properly.

I was told the same, warming up in stand-by with no signal going though them does little to nothing to "warm" them up sonicly speaking

So guys.

How about "breaking in a preamp". About to buy a CJ ET5 preamp and it's gonna take several hundred hours to "burn in" the capacitors.

Can I accomplish with sending a signal (XM radio) to the preamp without turning on the amplifier? I'm under the impression that this will accomplish the purpose.

GG

I did burn-in for my ARC Ref Ph2SE by connecting FM radio to inputs, in this case inverse RIAA with -50dB level was necessary. Just leave source component and your pre on. Power amp will load your pre similarly even if it's off.

So guys.

How about "breaking in a preamp". About to buy a CJ ET5 preamp and it's gonna take several hundred hours to "burn in" the capacitors.

Can I accomplish with sending a signal (XM radio) to the preamp without turning on the amplifier? I'm under the impression that this will accomplish the purpose.

Gordon, you're finally returning to the tube world, huh? Welcome back!

GG

Gordon, you're finally returning to the tube world, huh? Welcome back! You do not have to turn the amp on to break-in your ET5.

So guys.

GG

I wouldn't bother - just enjoy the subtle changes as the preamp breaks in as you listen to it. The great thing here is that it is only going to get better :)

I agree with the thread title though - equipment definitely doesn't warm without signal.

However - they are all subtle differences - For my system, nothing makes as marked a difference as the time of day - after 9PM (or so) and the system sounds at least 100% better. And it gets better and better going into the night - until I can't keep my eyes open any more. Sometimes I don't even bother listening during the day. And I notice this even when I have had ZERO wines.........

Great responses. I've started streaming from my Squeezebox as soon as I turn my preamp on, and it definitely sounds better 30 mins later when I'm ready for serious listening.
I agree with Amey that it sounds even better later at night, but not sure if that's from "cleaner" power, vs. just being in a more relaxed state of mind.

Gordon, you're finally returning to the tube world, huh? Welcome back! You do not have to turn the amp on to break-in your ET5.

Hi Fox,

There's only one 6922 in the mix but I guess that qualifies the ET5 as a "tube" preamp.

I was able to find / purchase the EAT ECC88 tube. All EAT dealers say they've been on backorder for 6 to 10 months. I think I may have found the only one left in the lower 48. Maybe I woke up on the right side of the bed.

Gordon

I was able to find / purchase the EAT ECC88 tube. All EAT dealers say they've been on backorder for 6 to 10 months. I think I may have found the only one left in the lower 48. Maybe I woke up on the right side of the bed.

Gordon

Gordon...that tube probably cost you as much as the ET5 :p I have several of the EAT tubes in my collection. They are really good. It should sound great in the cj. :music:

I wouldn't bother - just enjoy the subtle changes as the preamp breaks in as you listen to it. The great thing here is that it is only going to get better :)

I totally concur Adam, but then as most know I don't believe in 'ridiculous' break in time myths......... OK Bernard I know your lurking !!

I agree with Amey that it sounds even better later at night, but not sure if that's from "cleaner" power, vs. just being in a more relaxed state of mind.

Whatever it is, it is such a marked difference it is amazing! Better than any upgrade I've ever done.......

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you and respectfully disagree on the "break in" myth.

FWIW, the CJ ET5 takes about 500 hours or so to break in the capacitors. I've read enough (and have personal experience with other CJ preamps) to believe that this is true.

Given my daily habits, it would take 9 to 12 months to hit that mark.

Why wait to reach close to full potential sonic capability?

3 weeks to get there running 24 / 7. And pretty painless.

Best,

Gordon

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you and respectfully disagree on the "break in" myth.

Gordon, I actually posted my reply to get at Bernard a 'wee bit' , a standing jab we have at each other regarding '500 hr break-ins' ....he obviously has not read it ! For the record I do believe in break-in, just not as long a period as others..........and for the record I'd bet you 'donuts to dollars' you couldn't tell the difference between the 400th and 500th hour !!

Why wait to reach close to full potential sonic capability?

3 weeks to get there running 24 / 7. And pretty painless.

agreed, audible bliss is right around the bend !!

Gordon, I actually posted my reply to get at Bernard a 'wee bit' , a standing jab we have at each other regarding '500 hr break-ins' ....he obviously has not read it !!
Say what? I already responded; you have obviously not read it! :)

Brings to mind that many years ago I replaced all of the electrolytic s in my Cal Audio DAC with Black Gates. Fired it up, and no change. Months later I suddenly realized that it was much better; the caps had broken in. Of course, no DBT here.

Say what? I already responded; you have obviously not read it! :)

My bad Bernard, you're right I missed the post ! This guy was in my way !! ........ (Rogues are broken in nicely, 224 hrs)

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 80

Latest posts

Back