Does Purity work well with my room setup?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus6464

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I am very interested on a pair of Purity for a 2ch setup that I have in my home office. Right now I have a pair of Epos ELS-3 with a modded Rega Planar 2 TT, and an old sony receiver. I can get a good deal on a pair of Purity through a friend but I am not sure if they will work well with my room. My Epos are currently 2 inches away from the wall in front of a curtain. I can put the purity not as close to the curtain but the panel will still be only 1ft away from the curtain. Will this be able to work? Here is a picture of my current setup as reference.

Finalsetup.jpg

I can only move the Purity up to where the electronics rack starts. Thanks

I have the ML "Source" (Purity without the amp. built in) set up in a small room that is currenty 30 inches from the front wall and about 24" from the side wall. There are many good posts on this site about how room setups, wave interactions, etc. can give you some problems (see Placement options – Impacts of location, orientation and treatments post). If you only have a foot, a good toe-in like you have on your Epos will certainly help with the wave coming from the back of the panel (blinds will help a bit, too). I listened to a demo of the Purity only about 18 inches out and the sound was quite good. Probably just as or more important then the speaker placement is how you are going to use your receiver. Does it have preouts? With the amplifier built into the Purity speaker I would HIGHLY recommend (probably the only reason you would purchase this speaker) running an RCA line into the speaker as opposed to traditional speaker wire from the receiver as you have hooked up now. If you don't have this option on your speaker pretty much any Yamaha, Denon, or decent receiver will have this option (for not that much money). This will GREATLY increase the quality of sound you will get out of these speakers. If you can get these from your friend for under $2K, by all means pull the trigger. Let us know what happens!

Hi Gus, welcome to our little corner of the 'Electrostatic world' !

Regarding your question ???? first off just by looking at your picture I can tell your math is off....... if you can bring the speaker up to the front of your rack then it would have to be greater than a 'foot' from the curtian since the depth of your rack and equipment, etc is greater than 1 foot....correct ??

Anyways, would this be ideal....NO ! can you live with the limitations...only you can decide that. Are there better listening enviroments for you down the road ??

Another general rule of thumb is the closer the panel is to the rear wall the more attention to acoustical treatment that is needed for optimal sound.

Last edited:
Let me expand on what Twich said. If you put acoustical absorption panels (such as you can get from Real Traps or GIK acoustics) behind your curtain (one behind each speaker to absorb the back wave), then you will get great sound from the Purity's in that room, in my opinion. Even without the panels, I think you will be happy. But with them, you would be floored how good it will sound.

Let me expand on what Twich said. If you put acoustical absorption panels (such as you can get from Real Traps or GIK acoustics) behind your curtain (one behind each speaker to absorb the back wave), then you will get great sound from the Purity's in that room, in my opinion. Even without the panels, I think you will be happy. But with them, you would be floored how good it will sound.

Which type of panel do you recommend? I see they have bass trap and high frequency type.

To mount behind the speaker in order to absorb the back wave, I recommend the HF (High Frequency) Mini Trap from Real Traps. It is a full frequency absorber that will absorb fairly evenly across the entire frequency range of your panel output. Given the height of the panel of the Purity, you could probably get away with just a 2' by 2' panel behind each speaker.

Last edited:
Back