Does anyone have the Grotto i?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
Just came back from one of my favorite dealers and got a price on the Grotto i. I pretty much have to get it sight unseen and without audition as no one in the Toronto area stocks a good selection of ML's. Before I pull the trigger, wanted to know if anyone here has the Grotto i, what you are mating it with and your opinions. (I'm looking for something more 'musical' and faster than my current Sunfire)
Thanks in advance, M

I use a Grotto i with my desk system...

Pair of KEF mini monitors, Rega integrated etc.

Have also used it with Magnepan 1.6's with good luck too.

Great little sub!

Grotto i subwoofer

I recently just acquired the Grotto i (actually two of them) for my stereo only system. In the past I had the Sunfire, the Sunfire was fast and powerful, but in my room I always knew it was there (mk2 version).

I got the Grotto i's about a week apart, when I had only one I installed it in between my speakers and was very impressed; it's fast, clean, tight and depending on how it's adjusted...disappears!

A week later the second Grotto i arrived and I now positioned each sub next to a main speaker (Acoustic Zen Adagios).
Was there a difference...yes!
Don't let anyone ever tell you low frequencies are not directional, once you hear two subs....you'll know!
Can you live with just one, certainly, but it has been my experience that sub placement will draw your attention to that spot when lone bass notes are played.
My room is 26x14x8 and I'm still experimenting with short/long wall placement.

However, I heartily recommend you pick up that grotto i....now!

Thanks Jeff, Wings..
I'm pretty much sold on the Grotto i. Just wanted some confirmation.
I'm in a small place so one will do. Hopefully good placement and tuning will provide good integration. I'm running with Clarity's and hope to move up to Vista's in the next 12-24 months.
So, now it's just a wait for my severance closure check to come in (just landed a new job) and I will then purchase the Grotto.
Thanks for your input!!

Just put an order in for the Grotto i. Thanks Jeff & Wings..
Not just to wait for my severance package payout and I'll pick it up.
Also ordered a Cambridge DacMagic. When I got my layoff notice in November, I sold my Rega Apollo as I thought that I would be out of work for a while in this economy I start a new job on March 2nd). I think it would be a good solution for streaming Apple Losless through my AirPort as well as provide upgraded DAC's for my Marantz while I put aside some money for a future dedicated CD player.

I thought so.. I got it for $399 Canadian. It was not even on my radar and when we were discussing the CA 840C (and my limited budget), the guy pointed out the DacMagic and it seems like a no brainer for what I want to do. Can't wait!

it's excellent for what you want to do. it will reduce the jitter coming from airport express and you will have bigger soundstage and more space between the instruments. you can use it with hi res (24/96) as well, but only from optical/spdif port (not usb, usb is 16/44.1) and only from a computer as a source (airport extreme dose not support more than 16/44)

Back