Do you allow your family to use the ML & system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I've always wondered....my father when I was growing up would not let me touch the system without his approval. Do you let your kids or spouse use it on their own? I've always figured I would encourge it, it does two things IMO. First, the obvious then the Second (my favorite),let them break it, then I can replace it without any guilt.:D :D That's great!!! Heck, my in laws are here and today I gave the 5min lesson and said don't worry there's nothing you can break that can't be fixed or replaced. Enjoy!!!:D

If they only new what I was thinking....

I dont have any kids but I dont mind if my wifes uses the system. She has been with me for ten years and knows the ins and outs. I actually like the fact she understands remotes, inputs, warm-ups etc.

My ML system is the HT, so yes, my wife does use it. We don't have any kids. If we did I probably wouldn't be able to afford the ML stuff or have time for it, but whatever I had would be for them to use too.

My wife is a quick study and learns all she needs to know fast when I make a change so that is cool. I might have to help her out from time to time if it is something she does not do a lot of...DVD's or VHS...

My system is jammed in the living room of a fairly small house, so my wife uses the television and DVD, but usually asks me to power up the ML's for straight music. Our 3 year old son has a few CD's, mainly movie soundtracks, and some DVD's, so I'll put them in if he asks, but he understands that the equipment is not to be touched.

T-

My girlfriend is not a techno-wizard and does not go near the sytem. She is satisfied listening to music on a $50 boombox!

She did comment on the ML's the day I brought them home and played a few tracks...from downstairs she commented that "They sound pretty good from downstairs. It sounds like there's a piano playing in the room up there".

My daughter who is 9, knows more about the system than the GF and she knows enough not to touch. She asks questions and I teach her about it. She was all excited about telling her friends at school what a turntable and record are! She knows what tubes are and is amazed to watch them glow when the system is on. The daughter likes to watch movies on the system and is amazed at how things buzz over and around the room...funny to watch her look around to find something in the room from a movie soundtrack!

Other than that, I wish they would ask more often to listen or watch a movie and I would be more than glad to oblidge by teaching them how to use it!

Our system is designed as a hybrid home-theater and music system. Probably 80% of its use is HT by my wife, as this is her primary entertainment when at home (she's handicapped). About 60% of my listing is to 2-channel music. We're empty nesters, so its just her and I.

The wife and whoever else comes over uses the system - the harmony remote is pretty foolproof ("Watch TV") In fact, I am pretty sure she uses it more than me!

The dog watches dog shows on it too.

I'm the only one I'm afraid. My wife would not know where to start, and understands that it is her next pair of shoes or sports equipment that will be sacraficed if she breaks something. She hardly ever listens to music, but would have me do it (or guide her through it on the 'phone) if she needed it.

I've got a dedicated listening room right now, and I'm the only person who listens to the "big rig". I have a Sony/Celestion HT system in the living room, and that's what the rest of the family uses.

However, I'm going to loose the listening room this week, because one of the daughters is moving back in, and we need the space for her bedroom. So either the "big rig" is going into our Master Bedroom, or I'm going to have to find a way to put it in the living room. And since my preamp (C-4000t) isn't remote-controlled, I suppose even if it does end up in the living room, I will still be the only one using it, because no-one else will know how to turn it on and make the music come out.

--Richard

I'm the only one who knows what buttons to push....

Nope, no one but me right now. My wife does not share my audio affliction and my kids are too young. They do know better than to be in "Dad's area" when I'm not with them. When it's movie time, yes everyone enjoys it.

Lastnight before dinner, my daughter (2.5 year old) and I plopped down on my couch in my Man Space and listened to the entire Jack Johnson soundtrack to the Curious George movie. She sat on my lap the entire time and just listened with me (thumb in mouth of course). I can't wait to do it again.....

My wife uses the system on a regular basis (probably more than me). My twin sons (3 yrs old) occasionally "operate" the knobs and switches on the amps, luckily not while the system is in use.

My wife uses the system, but is intimidated by it. She usually uses the Home Theater setup in another room and even then it's usually for the speakers out on the patio.

When my kids are home thay have full access to the system. I've showed them how to use everything years ago. I don't restirct it, but everyone pretty much leaves vinyl up to me even if they are the ones wanting to listen to it. I guess nobody wants to be responsible for snapping a $2500 canteliver...:mad:

No kids. My wife is allowed to use anything she wants to use, its not up to me (and even if it was I wouldn't mind)! She does take full advantage of it!

Yes, the wife and older daughter are system trained but only for digital. Neither of them wants to incur my wrath by messing up the TT so they, by choice, don't use it. The nine y.o. just asks and we play it for her.

Back