DIY Horns done my way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweeeeeeet. Very nice how the grain pattern follows so well around the corner.

That one is easy. Each side of the speakers front to back and top to bottom is one sheet. I had several of these of these large sheets. Looking at both speakers head on, the sides facing each other will always be mirror images.

w18.jpg

Wow, great job on those cabinets and veneer :bowdown:

Geez, Luther. Next you'll be showing us how you formed the horns from flat stock, using wooden bucks and a planishing hammer.;):p

They do look beautiful!

Most beautiful you should be in the custom cabinet making business ,

Top Notch work!!!!

Fantastic...will never forget the first time I got to audition the JBL 4350 monitors...many speakers are more "accurate" but put them up on a stage and run a early generation R2R tape thru them and you'd swear the band is right there:bowdown:

DOG BITE! Some days are just aaarrrrrgggghhhh! I laid my speakers down to put on a last coat of finish. When I went to pick them up, they had stuck to the carpet. 14 hours and dry to the touch wasn't dry enough. Now I have to strip the sides to get the carpet out that is embedded and if that wasn't bad enough, a piece of veneer was pulled out. One more thing to repair. What's a guy to do? ~sigh~

whyme.jpg

OUCH! I bet that hurt! So, do you have to strip/redo both speakers, in order to keep them mirror images of each other?

No need to stip. Just two hours of sanding and then I wiped them down with lacquer thinner. I'll let them dry for a day and then spray a couple coats before final polishing. Even the patch came out very well. It is on the left speaker. Can you find it?
fixed.jpg

That is the beauty of Lacquer. Its so easy to repair. Nice work !

FINALLY they are back playing in my living room. I was going to leave the grills off but you will notice the left dust cap is dented. That is compliments of our 6 year old grandson and his marshmellow gun. You can't leave kids alone for two minutes. :(

livingroom112809a.jpg

My wife said she wants the full grills cut down so the big horn is showing. Sounds like a neat look. What do you guys think about a 3/4 grill?

livingroom112809b.jpg

These have not been polished yet. I need to let them cure for a few weeks before I do that.

Kudos! that is just gorgeous. top craftsmanship as far as i can see. wow, as a fan of DIY, that tops the charts IMO. :bowdown:

FINALLY ...

My wife said she wants the full grills cut down so the big horn is showing. Sounds like a neat look. What do you guys think about a 3/4 grill?

After thinking about this for a moment or two, I think a full grill would look best. New grills with new wood work and the beautiful new feet would look awesome. Unless you could make the horn look new, it would detract from the total look. (IMO) What color were you thinking?

Very nice, Dust cap and Marsh mellow guns are no measure for the 6 year old fun. I feel for you . I can tell you to take a very high power vac to it it may pull it out. My now 8 yr old took a Charms Blow Pop to my quest. I was upset but now Laugh, as all tragedy's do become comedies.

Very nice, Dust cap and Marsh mellow guns are no measure for the 6 year old fun. I feel for you . I can tell you to take a very high power vac to it it may pull it out. My now 8 yr old took a Charms Blow Pop to my quest. I was upset but now Laugh, as all tragedy's do become comedies.

I'm right there with ya. I wasn't mad, just disappointed. The drivers were mint and being obsessive I want things right. He didn't get in trouble, just waited for him to tell me he did it. I take things with a grain of salt as all my "stuff" can be replaced. The love of a child or anyone for that matter once lost is not easily regained.

Back