Differences among ML center channel speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
Hi, all. I am giving some thought to buying a ML center channel speaker, but I don't know the differences between the Cinema I (are there others?), the Motif and the Stage. Can you fill me in?

Thanks,
Craig

i have the older Logos model and i really, no - that's REALLY, like it. the Logos is interesting in that it is the only ML with a convex curve not a concave curve (it bulges outwards :) )

it is a great match with my CLS.

the new Motif is convex I have compared it side by side with the cinema i
the cinema is a little deeper but seems to lack the detail that the motif has
the motif is really clear and can hit the loud volumes the cinema seems too fall apart at I used to own the cinema befor upgrading for this reason I now own the stage is crushes either own but hey look at the price it has it all musical sound and voices that fill the room you name it. but really for the money I would look at the Motif its a great speaker much better than the cinema in my opinion.

Thanks...

...for the advice. I appreciate it.

-- Craig

I currently use the Motif and feel no need to upgrade. I have crisp, clear dialog at all sound levels, something I never had in my own Home Theater before.

Didn't you have the Matinee before the Motif?

I currently own the Matinee which has the same enclosure as the Motif with the major differences being the ELS panel is the older CLS (non-Xstat) and the woofers being paper instead of aluminum.

I can't comment on the difference in fidelity as I haven't heard the Motif's however... The the Matinee is still a fine center channel speaker IMO.

Didn't you have the Matinee before the Motif?

I currently own the Matinee which has the same enclosure as the Motif with the major differences being the ELS panel is the older CLS (non-Xstat) and the woofers being paper instead of aluminum.

Nope, I worked for a dealer in Milwaukee and was able to hear everything before I bought it. The only experience I had with the Matinee was setup with a pair of Purities, which was outstanding. I went right to the Motif because my pair of ML Source was temperary until the Vistas took over. I think it makes sense to keep the panel and woofer similar to keep things uniform in the front.

Nope, I worked for a dealer in Milwaukee and was able to hear everything before I bought it. The only experience I had with the Matinee was setup with a pair of Purities, which was outstanding. I went right to the Motif because my pair of ML Source was temperary until the Vistas took over. I think it makes sense to keep the panel and woofer similar to keep things uniform in the front.

OK... I just upgraded to Vista's (from the Sources) myself. Outstanding speakers. I was curious as to your opinion on the Motif versus the Matinee though. I'm certain that the Motif does sound better, maybe a more solid bottom end from the woofers and better mid range from the X-Stat panel I'm guessing. The question for me remains... is it worth the added expense to upgrade.

OK... I just upgraded to Vista's (from the Sources) myself. Outstanding speakers. I was curious as to your opinion on the Motif versus the Matinee though. I'm certain that the Motif does sound better, maybe a more solid bottom end from the woofers and better mid range from the X-Stat panel I'm guessing. The question for me remains... is it worth the added expense to upgrade.

You are not missing much. I only issue for me was tonality. All ML speakers are wonderful, but they all produce a different variety of the house sound. Vistas, Vantages, Summits, etc all sound different due to the different crossovers, panels, woofers, etc. It is the same way with the centers. The Matinee was OUTSTANDING, and unless side by side with something else you are not going to hear much of a difference. I had the Motif with Sources and loved it, I now have a Motif with Vistas and still love it. If you had a fresco, vignette, or other brand of center it would be a different story. Basically, I would make the move depending on where you picked up your Matinee at. Tweeter; use the exchange program. If you can't do that, the second hand market is pretty slow right now so rock what you have.

You are not missing much. I only issue for me was tonality. All ML speakers are wonderful, but they all produce a different variety of the house sound. Vistas, Vantages, Summits, etc all sound different due to the different crossovers, panels, woofers, etc. It is the same way with the centers. The Matinee was OUTSTANDING, and unless side by side with something else you are not going to hear much of a difference. I had the Motif with Sources and loved it, I now have a Motif with Vistas and still love it. If you had a fresco, vignette, or other brand of center it would be a different story. Basically, I would make the move depending on where you picked up your Matinee at. Tweeter; use the exchange program. If you can't do that, the second hand market is pretty slow right now so rock what you have.

That's what I thought. I really like the Matinee and I think I'll get much more bang for the buck improving my system in other areas.
Currently I'm running my Vista's and Matinee through an Emotiva XPA-3 amp and using my Yamaha RX-V663 as my processor. I think a better processor and amp in addition to the XPA-3. I'm waiting on Emotive to release their new UMC-1 processor and then I'll bite the bullet for that and an XPA-2 amp to power the Vista's.

I'm also using my old (well they're only a couple months old) Source's for my rear channels but my room is to small it's just a waste. Belive it or not my little Mirage Nanosats do a better job at filling in the rear than the sources do ...at least for me anyway.

Thanks for the info tsmooth. Appreciate it. :music:

Back