Dialogue hard to hear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davide128

Reaction score
Hi-

I own ML preface for my front..the encore for the center and the abyss
as my sub with a denon AVR.. I find it hard to hear dialogue when watching movies so I turned up the level on the center..Is this ok to do? or will it throw things off balance or put the speaker in danger of being damaged? What settings do you guys recommend..I think I have my fronts set to small even though they could probably be set to large..Oh and I have def tech 800 as my surrounds

When you set the levels for your fronts, you should hear the same amount of white noise coming from all 3 front speakers, so set your center accordingly.

I'm kind of a newbie..I don't know all the terminology..Still learning..What do you mean white noise? I want to be able to hear dialogue more clearly without jeapordizing perforamce or without damaging speakers or making them susceptible to damage

I'm kind of a newbie..I don't know all the terminology..Still learning..What do you mean white noise?

First off, Welcome to the funhouse :)

Tom is referring to the white-noise generator that practically every HT receiver uses to allow you to set your speaker levels in a 5.1 or 7.1 HT setup. There should be a function in the receiver's setup menu somewhere that allows you to set speaker levels. When you select this function, you should hear a noise like a TV set to a channel with no broadcast... like hiss but with more body. That's white noise.

I'll add too that they call it "white" because just as the color white is really an even mix of all perceivable colors, white noise is basically an even mix of all frequencies in the audio range.

Cheers

Last edited:
ok..Thanks for the replies..I appreciate it..yeah, I think it's when I go to "test tone" in my denon receiver..So if I set so all of them are the same, it should improve dialogue clarity?

ok..Thanks for the replies..I appreciate it..yeah, I think it's when I go to "test tone" in my denon receiver..So if I set so all of them are the same, it should improve dialogue clarity?

Yes... test tone. And yes, it *should* optimize clarity, unless there's an issue with the CC itself or the amp/cable driving it.

Yes... test tone. And yes, it *should* optimize clarity, unless there's an issue with the CC itself or the amp/cable driving it.

Hola. All the above answers are just OK. Also, when you are using your Denon, there is a point where you can make your center channel to be off (Phantom setting). The center channel must be on. Also, check the frequency cut. It should be at 80Hz. The Encore is a fantastic center channel. You should understand everything and also it is great for singing vocals. You can re-set all your receiver and re-do all test tone levels...Happy listening,
Roberto.

This may be obvious, but the same means, sounds the same...aka the same volume. Not the same in the sense that the numbers are set the same 0,0,0 or +1,+1,+1 in the adjustments.

If you have an iphone, you can download a free SPL meter that will give you a number for the speaker volume. You can use that to calibrate all speakers to be equal.

This is all assuming your receiver doesn't have Audyssey or some other automated calibration system...if it does, then you have to read the manual.

Back