Descent LFE vs line level

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all --
I have a sunfire tgIII pre/processor. I think I will be picking up a descent soon - however - what would be the diff if I went to the LFE w/ the processor crossover @ 40Hz vs going line level with the descent's filter set @ 40 Hz? I would be using the sub for both stereo & HT... but am WAY more critical about the stereo listening.

Also - if anyone has any experience with the Sunfire processor: I have my sacd player hooked in the analog ins (direct path).... is there anyway to then go from the pre to the descent? I am not sure if the direct path (Labeled 8 channel in for the Sunfire) sends anything out the 'Main out'...

Just trying to figure out my connection options...what kind of cables I might need. Suggestions are welcome!!!! (I also have the choice of xlr with the Sunfire)

If by chance - this thing is sitting under my tree on the 25th... I'll send out a note and give a comparison of the descent to my paradigm pdr 10 sub. Should be no comparison - but I think all might like to hear the diff between a nice 'for the money' sub and the descent.

Thanks to all --- tim

thanks cherian... Yeah - I know the battles of the bass... I just don't see how there could be a diff sending 40 Hz and below to the sub or sending the whole nine yards and filtering everything above 40 Hz....

Try it both ways and see what you like better. The low pass filter in the Decent or, the Sunfire. Me I am lazy I just wanted one RCA to my sub so I went with the LFE out of the my Sunfire TG2.

:D nothing wrong with lazy....just curious on the line levels....Do you know if you would use the same subwoofer cables out of the line level outs??

The LFE output derives its data from a distinct channel encoded on the disc; if you dont use the LFE output on the processor I dont see how you would make use of the extra information. Some processors route all bass below the cutoff to the LFE jack when in two-channel mode; I'm not sure how the Sunfire does it.
If you download the Descent owners manual, it shows several connection schemes, including one using both the LFE and line level inputs concurrently.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this..

Tj

As I understand it if you set your front left and right to large and select no subwoofer then the processor will send the .1 channel (LFE) to the large front speakers. At this point you can pass the RCA cables to the subwoofer and then from the sub woofer to the front right and left amp. The sub will then use its internal low pass filter and remove the higher frequency components and you have bass. You can also do this with speaker level. Take the output of your amp and pass it into the speaker level input of the sub and then out of the sub to the front right and left speaker. Or like you said, do both feed in LFE and line level. Then in CD operation say no subwoofer.

This is how I understand it. Am I correct?

Cherian

FYI: For line level use RCA cables in and out and for speaker level use speaker wire in and out.

As I understand it if you set your front left and right to large and select no subwoofer then the processor will send the .1 channel (LFE) to the large front speakers. At this point you can pass the RCA cables to the subwoofer and then from the sub woofer to the front right and left amp. The sub will then use its internal low pass filter and remove the higher frequency components and you have bass. You can also do this with speaker level. Take the output of your amp and pass it into the speaker level input of the sub and then out of the sub to the front right and left speaker. Or like you said, do both feed in LFE and line level. Then in CD operation say no subwoofer.

Cherian

The sunfire has a mode where you can set the speakers to large and also send the signal to the sub...I think it is called 'enhanced' something or other .

FYI: For line level use RCA cables in and out and for speaker level use speaker wire in and out.
just wondered if there was any diff between a sub cable and say - interconnects w/ rca....

Cherian

Cherian, thats is how I understand it as well. If someone else knows different fill us in !

As I understand it if you set your front left and right to large and select no subwoofer then the processor will send the .1 channel (LFE) to the large front speakers.
Correct on the Large for Fronts.

This is how I have my setup as my Sub has only one summed line level input. With my HT Passthrough on my Pre this allows me to have my two channel and my HT use the SMS-1 with the sub. Works great.

Dan

I tried that connection scheme last night and it works well. Took a few extra cable runs to get it done but probably worth it.

Tj

I'm an idiot - I think I'm still confused:eek: guess if it comes in - I'll just have to try things out.... and refer to the notes.....

Back