Demoed AR Ref 5 with Krell, Burmester, Levinson and AR Ref 75 on Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
AR Ref 5 when combined with Krell EVO 302 or Levinson 523 gave a beautiful midrange with acoustics and vocals, thick, and I preferred it much more to when it teamed up with Ar Ref 75.

However, when there were a lot of drums, bass, distortion in the song, the bass from Krell and Levinson muddied up the midrange, while the AR power amp kept it clean and the separation was higher. That made me prefer the AR combo overall.

However, if I could take out the bass problem by using a mix of decoupling, acoustic panels, and room correction, I might prefer the SS power amps again.

Also tried the Burmester, it was flatter than Krell and Levinson, a bit cleaner, but not my preference.

I love the sound of Mark Levinson amplifiers, but I do admit they can be very powerful and extended in the bass - sometimes activating room nodes that some more neutral amps don't excite.

interesting analysis bonzo, thanks for the feedback !

I very much enjoyed using my ref 5 and ref 5se with some belles power amps , absolutely beautiful sound from violins etc and vocals . never heard anything so good
my present combo of msb power amp and vibe pre is brilliant and incredible soundstaging but nothing matchs up to the arc I am afraid !

No, there is only one dealer here a bit far away, will be doing it at some point though

A Pass Labs amplifier is one of the few products I'd buy sight and sound unseen. Their synergy with Martin Logan speakers is without peer.

Back