D&M Holdings axes Snell and Escient

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, ain't that another piece of $h!t news...here we go again...

I've been a Snell owner for many years myself, the first models I purchased were Snell Type IIA, which I still own. Large two piece cabinets that measured about 30" wide, 44" tall, and 12" deep (by memory, since they are now in the original boxes). Every now and then they appear on AudioGon for under $1K, although new they cost $2.2K. Mine were finished in walnut and black cloth grill covers. I purchased these sometime in the late 70's? They look as good as new, however I am sure the cones could stand a re-coning or replacing. This set of Snell’s were crafted and built while Peter Snell was still alive. Granted Voecks did a great job taking over the line after Pete passed on. As the years passed on I purchased three more Snell speakers to compliment the Type IIA's. HCC500 center channel and two SUR500, that is left and right rear surrounds, for a surround sound system. The two surround SUR500's are bipolar radiating in that they have a set of drivers facing forward and a compliment of the same drivers facing rearward. Sound would emanate from the front and rear of the surrounds however very attenuated at the sides due to acoustic cancellation... Heavy solid cabinetry and very good finish and great looking speakers, thay cost me $900 each.

Quite frankly I am very disappointed about this news. Not only because I am biased towards the Peter Snell/Kevin Voecks products, but because some Holding company purchases another company consolidates that technology with other technologies, and spits out what they did not need. Along with that goes the factories, reputation, knowledge, skill, and most important, the people that work there.

Here's a quote from the original poster that I find scary from the holding company D & M Holdings press release:

"Here is the official release:

D&M Holdings Inc. finished its fiscal year on March 31st, 2010 and we're pleased to announce a significant improvement in profitability . Across our regions, we have won awards for our new products, seen increased market share, strengthened relationships with channel partners, and improved our inventory management and operations, and we are now well positioned for further growth in fiscal year 2010."

"Additionally, in order to keep the focus on our core brands, we will be discontinuing the operation of Snell Acoustics. The changing landscape of the speaker industry has made it extremely difficult for Snell to remain a viable business. The advanced loudspeaker technologies developed at Snell, however, will be leveraged by other D&M brands."

(http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/d-m-holdings-discontinues-snell-escient)

Really........GMAFB! (Give me a freakin break)...I hate this.

Peter is spinning in his grave.

Thanks for posting the link, I did not know about this. This trend is souding all too familiar...

At least Voecks legacy continues on with Harman, I look forward to some interesting speaker products from them in the near future.

From a technology perspective, Harman knows how to to leverage the value in their acquisitions.

So while it might be labeled Boston Acoustics or JBL, the results will be pretty impressive (for cone speakers, that is ;) )

Latest posts

Back