Cutting Chassis to Fit IEC Receptacle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've toyed with making this mod to my SP-9 too, but the relatively tight space between the fuse and the toroidal transformer gives me pause (not to mention, cutting the back plate: as you say, one you start, there's no going back).
Rich, I took off the top plate and took another look at it; you're right - there's very little space next to the transformer. There's lots of space above the fuse, but then the A.C. connections would be pretty close to the circuit boards, which I'm not too crazy about. I think I'll leave well enough alone.

I still say you should go for a DACT stepped attenuator, even though that would leave you with a non-standard preamp. Well, if your pot ever goes noisy you know what to do.

Have you ever tried 7308 tubes in it? I went from the stock Chinese 6DJ8 tubes to NOS Valvos (better), to Gold Aero Platinum Grade 7308's, which gave me a huge improvement.

My preamp is anything but stock.

I still say you should go for a DACT stepped attenuator, even though that would leave you with a non-standard preamp. Well, if your pot ever goes noisy you know what to do.

That's true!

Have you ever tried 7308 tubes in it? I went from the stock Chinese 6DJ8 tubes to NOS Valvos (better), to Gold Aero Platinum Grade 7308's, which gave me a huge improvement.

I've not played with tube rolling (for much the same reasons as not upgrading the pot), but I have been tempted. But I'm saving my pennies for an even bigger upgrade, like to an LS27 or (gulp) Ref 5. Would love a Ref 40 but I think the chance with me finding $25K under my mattress in the next month are pretty slim... :-(

Rich, I guess your reference to 1 month for the Ref 40 is because ARC was supposed to make it for only a year. I wonder if they will stick to that; would be a shame if they did.

Back