Custom Subwoofer Cabinet - Need Speaker/Driver Advice for ML System

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallp

Reaction score
I'm contemplating building a couple of subwoofer cabinets to go along with my audio system. What subwoofer speaker brand would you recommend that would perform well with my system (Ascent i, Theater i, Frescos)? The reason I'm leaning this direction is due to cost and I have quite a bit of experience building cabinets. I'm leaning towards 12" subs due to their response capabilities.

Thanks!

Randall

This forum below has a number of DIY areas for Subs and may be worth looking at to gather information. There are also some other DIY forums out there for additional info which I cannot remember at this time.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/

Thanks for the response and I'll take a look. :D

My biggest concern is getting the right subwoofer for the Martin Logans system I have today. I realize the Martin Logan subwoofer speaker driver itself would be, frankly, the best match. However, am courious what ML owners would recommend given a custom built scenerio.

Many thanks!!!

Randall

I just built 2 of these , They are a 15 inch Servo based sub. They are the only servo based sub that you can build. This I can tell you! The one pressurizes the room with bass that rivals my Sunfire True sub(It will be retired to the video system). I had my amp made with a 24 db X-over. They are fast tight and they go deep. The cabinets are made of 1 inch MDF. I am finishing up the second one now for the ultimate blend with my Quest's

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984831

Custom built subs are the only arena where DIY can blow away a manufactures. I know of no manufacture made sub that can do 10 HZ at 100+db let alone 20 at 120+

I just built 2 of these , They are a 15 inch Servo based sub. They are the only servo based sub that you can build. This I can tell you! The one pressurizes the room with bass that rivals my Sunfire True sub(It will be retired to the video system). I had my amp made with a 24 db X-over. They are fast tight and they go deep. The cabinets are made of 1 inch MDF. I am finishing up the second one now for the ultimate blend with my Quest's

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984831

Custom built subs are the only arena where DIY can blow away a manufactures. I know of no manufacture made sub that can do 10 HZ at 100+db let alone 20 at 120+

Wow! Very impressive! What model did you end up going with?

Thank you!

Randall

That's loud and hard on the furnishings that are not fastened down;)

I just built 2 of these
I know you had one box already. For the other cabinet did you just build a 3cf one, or did you use the Rhythmic box design? If you built your own cabinet, what dimensions and supplies (type of wood, glue, screws, etc.) did you use for it?

Shortly I will post a build on it ! I had both boxes as I built them a while back for a NHT 1259 set up. It is 1 inch MDf, with 2 inch front and rear baffles. I used 2 inch wood screws and glued with poly glue. They were both originally veneered with Zebra wood( I know some of you are cringing) from when I had them in my old Ribbon system. It is a DS1500 . The cabinet is the whole basis for the sub. My theory is , "When in doubt, build it stout!" You also need a good ear to tune a sealed sub with the right amount of Poly fill. To much and the sound is anemic to little and it becomes boomy! The Grill is my design !

Here's another DIY

This is an interesting (DECWARE) subwoofer enclosure(s) page: http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm
One of their major interests is extremely clear and loud subwoofers for home or commercial use. You can buy pre-assembled, kits, or enclosure plans for many of their speakers. I'm interested in some of their folded horn enclosures. The craftsmanship is way past my wood working skills, though.

A side note: they also do speaker reconing/coil rewinds and provide the speaker's statistics (fs, qts, qms, qes, vas, re, rm, ect.) needed for design calculations. Recone an old Electro Voice SP-12B and convert from 16 ohm to 8 ohm...no problem.

Attachments

• wo6.jpg
    wo6.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 161
Another source of Sub info can be found on the http://www.DIYAudio.com forums.

Additionally, have you considered an InfiniteBaffle Sub?
These can really pressurize a room, a quad 15 moves over 16 liters of air, that's almost more volume than the total box size of many subs.

Not everyone can host one, but if you can, it's hands-down the ultimate in bass.

Check out my InfiniteBaffle sub, it mates very well with the MLs.

Last edited:
Another source of Sub info can be found on the http://www.DIYAudio.com forums.

Additionally, have you considered an InfiniteBaffle Sub?
These can really pressurize a room, a quad 15 moves over 16 liters of air, that's almost more volume than the total box size of many subs.

Not everyone can host one, but if you can, it's hands-down the ultimate in bass.

Check out my InfiniteBaffle sub, it mates very well with the MLs.

C.A.P.,
What about an I.B. behind your bar? How big is the storage room behind the rear wall of your room?:D

I seriously am pondering it. I could do it as I have the room and I could mount a manifold in the basement with a grill on the wall. Watch out JonFo. :eek: I had these old sub boxes laying around so it was a quick build. A build that turned out fantastic. I am finding my self drawn to the real dark side of deep bass now. Stereo subs make all the difference in the world. The phasing and timing is way better integrated to the mains.

I seriously am pondering it. I could do it as I have the room and I could mount a manifold in the basement with a grill on the wall. Watch out JonFo. :eek: I had these old sub boxes laying around so it was a quick build. A build that turned out fantastic. I am finding my self drawn to the real dark side of deep bass now. Stereo subs make all the difference in the world. The phasing and timing is way better integrated to the mains.

No problem bring on the IB dude ;)

once you go to an IB, there is no turning back, so be warned :cool:

I am also about to move a Velodyne ULD-18 back into the theater to see if the theories behind multiple subs hold water in my rig. Placed in the rear of the theater, centered and oposite the IB, I’ll be slaving it off the same feed as the IB, but time delayed and phase adjusted to be coherent with the front IB.

Back