Custom ESL X Center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. a ML stat panel is should never be "bent" at all, not that nits easy to do w out tools that would dramatically screw it up..
2. putting a vertically oriented ML CLS panel sideways would in almost all scenarios not work very well at best.
3. each of the three current ML stat hybrid centers were designed in a holistic grouping for different uses cases.
a. the small one envisioned, along w budget, a smaller room size and a special need of being place inside of furniture.
b. the middle one envisioned being used in bigger rooms, with step up models, and would be often placed on a wall, therefore they engineered it to work without rear firing, and cover both stand on surface and hang on wall capacity.
c. the big floor stander was designed with a full dipole panel. it is not blocked. The woofers are powered and have bass room correction capability. it was intended for grand systems, such as full projection screen rooms, hence its sits low and is angled up.
4. all of these 3 have augmentation of FMTs in high frequencies
5. decades of measurement and implantations of matching center channels to L&R floor standing ML hybrids, with proper performance, have taught ML how to deal w tone and dispersion across the frequency range in real world home set up.
Many crazy iterations have been tried and rejected over the years.

I'm pretty sure there are high end elctrostats that have a closed back? Can't recall names.
Yes, the JansZen Audio line are monopoles, and the smaller version seems reasonably well suited to smaller listening/living rooms.
They are even available in self-powered full active versions.

Read their site for a different take on ESL-to-room design choices.

4. all of these 3 have augmentation of FMTs in high frequencies
Hi Dennis, thanks for chiming in with some 'insider' knowledge; much appreciated.

I totally agree on using a point source tweeter to augment the ESL on a center speaker. It helps anchor vocals and has a wide enough dispersion (vs. the ESL elements).

Now that Atmos is a big thing in AV, I'm tempted to add some FMT tweets to all my bed layer speakers so the 3D audio bubble is rendered with more precision. Kind of hard to get accurate vertical image localization when the 'tweeter' is 4' tall.

Yes, the JansZen Audio line are monopoles, and the smaller version seems reasonably well suited to smaller listening/living rooms.
They are even available in self-powered full active versions.

Read their site for a different take on ESL-to-room design choices.
Yes, that's one I have seen. Those look nice. Have you heard them yet?
Wow! New model! Fantastic. After the KLH Nine.

https://janszenaudio.com/products/nine-five

Back