Cryogenics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
This process which is used to increase the lifespan of metal tools and machinery by up to 400%, is also seen in some products in high resolution audio.

I have been using ZYX phono cartridges for the past few years and recently traded up to the ZYX Universe which in it's literature claims cryogenic treatment of it's components.
I have no way of telling whether a Universe without cryo would be sounding different, all I know is that it does sound better than any cartridge I have ever owned or heard.
Other experience I have had involves my system's wires: power, interconnect and speaker. I use a proprietary custom solid copper double strand weave probably less than gauge 8 all cryo treated for 24 hours at -300F. I use the same wire throughout for all connections including AC powercords.

I always had separate circuits for my sound systems but two years ago I decided to install a completely separate service box and the same solid copper wiring right from where Edison connects to the house.

After it was installed I decided to take it back out and to have it cryogenically treated by Cryogenic Tempering Services in Decatur. I sent them not just the wire, but included the actual service box, the breakers, the wall outlets and the connectors.
I was hoping for some discernible effect but instead found a significant increase in power and breadth, as if I had installed much larger amplifiers. The noise floor of the entire system also was significantly lowered.

There are also output tubes on the market such 6550's and KT88's that have been cryo treated and I have spoken to some people who claim to have their entire amplifiers taken into deep freeze. I am more than reluctant to attempt this however, given that there are so many non metal components in most electronics which might not take well to being taken down to -300 Fahrenheit.

Which brings me to a question, has anyone tried this process beyond what I have described above and with what results?

I have certainly found that cryogenically treating these basic hardware components gave a huge improvements at very modest cost (less than $100). Sending in a $10K preamp is another leap altogether though.

Any comments or factual experience?

I had my wife Cryogenically frozen and the noise floor was reduced to nothing.
Not to mention the nagging disappeared.:D :D

Last edited:
Getting back on track, when I had my Oppo 970 modified by Reference Audio Mods, I had them include the cyro treatment. Since I bought it directly from RAM I didn't hear it before the updates, so can't comment on that. However, the cyro treatment was highly recommended by various folks I talked to about it, so I decided to go ahead with it. YMMV of course.

Very Funny!!

I had my wife Cryogenically frozen and the noise floor was reduced to nothing.
Not to mention the nagging disappeared.:D :D

Dear WB,

Love your sense of humor!!! One of the best posts I've read to date.

FYI, I recently auditioned a Furutech PLC that treated various parts in this fashion. However, I ended up returning because it did what I believe alot of PLCs do.

GG

Aside of wife jokes, and yes I thought it was funny, too, but can anyone with a background in solid state physics or similar explain why cryo treatment should have an audible effect?

I simply cannot see what e.g. knifes or brake discs operating under severe mechanical strain and/or high temperatures, and wire or electronics exposed to only low currents and voltages should have in common, or why there even should be an audible benefit.

Good grief! So much for comment, I do not have any facts but am just as interested in facts as dbakker.

Wilma is SO going to kick your ass!
Tony,
Wilma was actually sitting next to me when I replied to the post and thought it was pretty funny, But wanted me to edit the post.

She says it's called "Reminding" not "Nagging"

Back