Crazy idea? (subwoofer placement)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Reaction score
When someone ask about subwoofer placement it is usually suggested to move the sub around the listening room until it sound great ( Ok, in some case good), or to put the sub at the listening position and to crawl on the floor. My point is that last part on the floor.

What about trying vertical positionning.
I know, at first it doesn't make sense or it doesn't seems to be a practical idea.

However, it's exactly what I thought about today. My second floor has a "balcony"above my listening room. How would a sub sound and integrate with the rest providing the x-over point is set to low?

No I can't experiment, I don't have one yet. If it were to be a feasable idea, its size would not matter at all.

When someone ask about subwoofer placement it is usually suggested to move the sub around the listening room until it sound great ( Ok, in some case good), or to put the sub at the listening position and to crawl on the floor. My point is that last part on the floor.

What about trying vertical positionning.
I know, at first it doesn't make sense or it doesn't seems to be a practical idea.

However, it's exactly what I thought about today. My second floor has a "balcony"above my listening room. How would a sub sound and integrate with the rest providing the x-over point is set to low?

No I can't experiment, I don't have one yet. If it were to be a feasable idea, its size would not matter at all.
Great idea. I'd do it if I had the same situation.
The farther away a sub is from the listener, the better the full sound wave can be heard. That's why you can hear a car's sub playing from a distance: you're hearing the full waveform, crest and trough, while the jerk in the car can only hear part of the wave and has to crank it just to feel the car vibrate.
You'll need a sub that has adjustments for polarity and phase as this becomes very important as the difference in distance of subs and speakers will require that parameter of correction. I recommend having outboard controls and amp on a passive sub so as to adjust the controls from the listening position instead of running up and down stairs.

I guess you are familiar with axial modes in a room with regards to bass reinforcement. It has always seemed totally logical to get the sub away from the floor where it is reinforcing mightily the floor ceiling axis in your listening room.

Give it a whirl - as long as the balcony floor is robust and unlikely to sing along with the sub.

Kevin

In fact the word that I should have used is not balcony, but mezzanine. It's part of the house structure.

Maybe next year I will buy a sub. Size doesn't matter. It would be nice if martin logan implement their wireless subwoofing for the decent and depth. Maybe we'll see descentii and depth ii.

I'm also contemplating the idea of upgrading my Delphi to VI status.

Back