Crazy crazy crazy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? What did the green pen do for you? It seems on first blush to be outlandish, and I'm cautious about such stuff. But not necessarily closed-minded.

Mainly improved smoothness and imaging, more specific and better body within the sound field. The pen along with the Herbie's Black Holes has really increased the resolution on RBCD, The effect is less on SACD/DVD-A for some reason, I have no idea why.

Mainly improved smoothness and imaging, more specific and better body within the sound field. The pen along with the Herbie's Black Holes has really increased the resolution on RBCD, The effect is less on SACD/DVD-A for some reason, I have no idea why.

Not sure if the green pen works similiar as MA Recordings Green Poycarbonate. discs.I have a couple and they sound awesome. Below is a description from their website that explains how it works.

"Emerald Audiophile Series" discs are actually made with a dark green polycarbonate, to help alleviate the potential problems associated with internal light refraction and enable a more accurate reading of the digital data from the optical disc, delivering the music with more finesse, and ultimately the original intention of the performer(s) and producer.

http://www.marecordings.com/main/default.php

Last edited:
Not sure if the green pen works similar as MA Recordings Green Polycarbonate discs. I have a couple and they sound awesome. Below is a description from their website that explains how it works.

"Emerald Audiophile Series" discs are actually made with a dark green polycarbonate, to help alleviate the potential problems associated with internal light refraction and enable a more accurate reading of the digital data from the optical disc, delivering the music with more finesse, and ultimately the original intention of the performer(s) and producer.

http://www.marecordings.com/main/default.php

Yes, the idea is the same. I own a few of the MA discs and am quite impressed with them. I'd like to get a greenie and compare it to a standard disc.

Back when I had a Meridian 208, was when the "green marker" craze came through. Being a graphic designer, I just happened to have some green water-based markers (you shouldn't use solvent-based markers like Sharpies, because the solvent in their ink will damage the lacquer on the CD, and because water-based markers have very opaque ink that dries matte, whereas solvent-based markers generally have transparent or transluscent inks...)

I treated a few of my CDs, and noticed a small difference. Some discs seemed a little more "clean" and had slightly better resolution. But most just sounded somehow "different". Not better, not worse, just different...

Am I a believer in green markers? Well, it depends on the CD. But I can say that those water-based markers were a REAL pain to use, because the ink tended to bead up on the polycarbonate. Sometimes you had to put on three or four coats over the course of several days to get an even coating all the way around, and even when it was on, it tended to flake off if you didn't handle the CDs very carefully...

I wonder if you got a green penned CD and ripped it to your Squeezebox server you'd end up with a different checksum to a non-green penned one?

Latest posts

Back