Copland and Orff

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
Finally got to hear two of my "gotta see" pieces. Appalachian Spring and Carmina Burana. Wow is all I have to say. Conducted by Osmo Vanska at Orchestra Hall here in Minneapolis. Not being a fan of solo classical voice, I LOVED the reprise of O Fortuna with every voice and instrument roaring!:rocker:

Too bad The Spring was ruined at the end, seriously during the last couple quiet fermatas, by a ringing cell phone. :mad:

Ben

"Carmina Burana" is one of my favourite pieces of music, and I've been fortunate to see three live performances. It is really spectacular. Did you notice the triangle "floating" above the orchestra just before the reprise of "O Fortuna"? I also really like the triple pianos at the start of "Veni, Veni, Veni". Of course, the cymbal clash at "Blanzifor et Helena" is amazing.

So what is your favourite recording of it? I have the Seiji Ozawa, Robert Shaw, Michael Tillson-Thomas, and Herbert Kegel, and I think I like the Ozawa best, but that may just be because it's the first one I heard.

I was trying too hard to notice everything. I spent most of my time between soaking it in, and watching Vanska. I'm a band director and my wife spent several years singing with the Minnesota Choral, who sings with the MN ORCH. She sang in Beethoven's 9th, with Vanska, whose recording won some awards. Those kinds of pieces are so thick, I would need to hear them more. I also don't have a recording and will look into the one you mention. Thanks.

My wife was pregnant with our second when she was rehearsing "Carmina Burana" and had to miss performances being sick. She said there is so much dissonance in the choral parts that hearing it with orchestra really brings it together.

Last minute third row seats. Right in front of the Celesta. From where we were sitting, the glockenspiel seemed to drown out the piano since they played together alot.

i have about 12 versions of Carmina Burana - My favourite is one on cassette from the dad of an ex girlfriend (back in the 80's). don't know who it is, but it's a great recording.

Saw it live in London Ontario - great work of music.

Bernard,

Also have experienced the piece live three times.

One of those classical works everyone should hear in a live concert.

Looking forward to attending a performance of Mahler's Second here locally in about a month.

GG

Gordon,

Agreed that it is one of those pieces that should be heard live. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Mahler as Mahler and I do not go well together, but I was wondering if it is going to be performed on the scale in which it was intended, that is, with 1,000 singers. You should report back here on it. One highly-rated recording of it is with my favourite mezzo, Marilyn Horne, whose voice reminds me of honey. I really like her "Carmen", conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

Back