Continuum set up and spinning records!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
After two weeks of sitting in my garage, the Continuum was finally set up on Friday....

We will have a full feature in the June issue, but suffice to say this thing eclipses everything else I've ever heard. I've never heard this kind of musicality and detail EVER.

Pics to follow!

The bad news, it's 56k!

Gotta send it back in June when the review is done, but fun for now!

Jeff -

Are your views similar to Fremer's? It's pretty hard to justify spending that kind of bucks on a tt when you're not filthy rich! OTOH, I just moved my old VPI19 IV back into my main system to play mono lps and to switch cartridges. I still use the SME 10 as my main tt, but swapping cartridges is an impossibility. The VPI has a Graham 2.2, which is a breeze compared to the SME V. Maybe I can trade both tts in for something better. Something to ponder!

Unfortunately, I do agree with Mikey, we talked yesterday.

I have an SME 10/iV.Vi, a Rega P9/RB1000, Oracle Delphi V/iV.Vi of my own and have a SOTA Nova and the new Raven tables in on loan and as good as they all are the Continuum is a huge jump in every way...

Even at reviewer accommodation pricing, I don't think I can afford to make the jump, but it is a fantastic experience. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of tables in the 5-20k range and the Continuum is really special.

With all of the other tables I mentioned, I felt that digital playback on my Naim CD555 was as good as or better than analog, but with the Continuum, analog takes about five more steps towards musical reality!

Too bad this damn thing costs so much. But if you have the dough, it's worth every penny!

Jeff,

What a coincidence! I just posted a WTB in the classified section for a TT... although I can't cover the 56k, not even 56c! :) Anyway, I'm looking forward to photos and anything you can give us here. Also, Thank You for turning me on to your great mag.

Satch

Unfortunately, I do agree with Mikey, we talked yesterday.

I have an SME 10/iV.Vi, a Rega P9/RB1000, Oracle Delphi V/iV.Vi of my own and have a SOTA Nova and the new Raven tables in on loan and as good as they all are the Continuum is a huge jump in every way...

Even at reviewer accommodation pricing, I don't think I can afford to make the jump, but it is a fantastic experience. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of tables in the 5-20k range and the Continuum is really special.

With all of the other tables I mentioned, I felt that digital playback on my Naim CD555 was as good as or better than analog, but with the Continuum, analog takes about five more steps towards musical reality!

Too bad this damn thing costs so much. But if you have the dough, it's worth every penny!

Is it twice as good as the Avid Acutus Reference or the SME 30? I don't doubt for a moment that it is very, very good, but at this level you are deep into the territory of diminishing returns and value for money becomes an important issue. Not that I could afford it regardless of whatever value judgement it receives:music:

With all of the other tables I mentioned, I felt that digital playback on my Naim CD555 was as good as or better than analog
Well, that certainly strains credulity, doesn't it? :D

Well, that certainly strains credulity, doesn't it? :D

Well, considering you don't own a CD555 (or any of the other components I own...) I don't think you've got much of an opinion to offer here.

Not that it ever stops you..

But back to matters at hand.

Having quite a bit of seat time with the SME 30, which is an awesome table, it's up to you whether the Continuum offers 15 thousand dollars more worth of performance.

It's a relative question. It certainly does reveal more music than the SME, and it has the best bass performance I've ever heard from an analog source in terms of weight, definition and texture. I had a long chat with Michael Fremer over the weekend and confirmed pretty much what I'm hearing.

I've also chatted with a couple of other Continuum owners over the weekend and though we all have different systems, we are hearing pretty much the same improvements.

As for the worth of the Continuum, it's just like buying a Porsche GT3RS or a Ferrari F430. (and yes, I've driven both...) Is the F430 worth 70 thousand more than the GT3RS? It depends. If you want the F430, it's immaterial, that car costs 70k more. Doesn't mean the Porsche is a bad car.

Because this is such a limited production item, I'm sure part of the extra dough for the Continuum buys exclusivity, but it also delivers the goods.

I've spent plenty of time with a lot of great tables in the 10-40 thousand dollar range and own a few decent tables myself, but the Continuum is definitely a step up.

What I've also noticed with the Continuum, even though I've only got about 40 hours of listening time under my belt is that just like any other premium table, if you don't have the system and ESPECIALLY a collection of pristine recordings, it's probably not worth the money.

It does a great job with average recordings, but the good stuff is where it really shines. As my record collection is probably only about 25% primo stuff, I probably won't be buying the Continuum unless they make me a killer deal on it. I'll be just fine with my P9 and an SME 20.

Whether you've got an extra 56k to drop on a table is up to you. However, if you are someone with an extensive collection of great records, I would definitely put the Continuum on your short list of tables to audition. We have three people on the staff that have much more collectable records than I do and the two that have already heard the table came away very excited by what they experienced.

I just wish this kind of turntable performance was only about 4000 bucks, so a lot more people could have this experience!

Well, considering you don't own a CD555 (or any of the other components I own...) I don't think you've got much of an opinion to offer here.

Not that it ever stops you..

why don't you and nsgarch get along? I'm confused....did I miss something?

Obviously there is more to it. I will say this, everybody on this forum is entittled to their opinion. That's exactly what it is, an opinion. That's it! We all have them just some are stronger then others. This is a very, very good forum (great actually) why make your strong disagreements public (rude) and not make new members feel like they can join without being "jumped"?

Treat others with respect.....PLEASE.:D:

Back