Considering a VPI Aries 3/Ayre p-5xe/Dynavector

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice. Mine has allowed me to play records that I thought would never be listenable much less enjoyable. You will get your money's worth out of it when you are about to throw away lp's that have grunge in the groove and clean it on the 16.5 or something similar. Of course some are beyond saving, but it has definitely lowered the noise floor on many a vinyl for me.

Glen

this thing is really worth it?
some of my records I know would be good if I could get the crap out of them they crackle a lot does it help with that?

Yes it is .

Not only essential for getting good sound from your vinyl. Without it you are slowly destroying your records by grinding dirt into the grooves.
Gregadd
:afro:

I was just kicking the can around. Did you remember to get your VPI 16.5 or other record cleaning machine? It is essential.
Gregadd
:afro:

In fact, I am about to, but still looking at options, but did get an SDS speed synchro and another MIT Z-Strip. Thanks for the suggestion - it will probably narrow down my search.

Turntables, Arms, Phono preamps

In fact, I am about to, but still looking at options, but did get an SDS speed synchro and another MIT Z-Strip. Thanks for the suggestion - it will probably narrow down my search.

I have an original Aries (upgraded to flywheel, TNT HRX Platter, and 10.5i arm). Phono playback equipment is a matter of very personal preferences because so many variables can affect the sound you receive. My first principle is to buy equipment that is basically well built, trouble-free, and well supported by the company should a problem occur. VPI tables are solid and meet all of these requirements. Further, they have a unique upgradeability that few others offer so when a new table comes out, older units can get upgrades that approach the new table standard. VPI arms are also simple to install and work well with a wide range of cartridges. If you have a speed controller you are already ahead of the curve. Regarding cartridges and preamps, I would recommend you think about the preamp first and get one that is flexible with the ability to adjust impedance and gain. That way your choice of cartridges is very wide. For cartridges, a rule of thumb is to consider a product line and start with the lowest price model that has the "sonic signature" of the line. Both Benz Micro and Clearaudio are good examples of companies that offer a wide range of cartridges that allow you to trade up for credit if you decide to get a pricier unit.
Unfortunately, there is no way to know how everything will sound until you have had it set up in your home. Reading reviews helps to know how a cartridge/turntable/phono preamp will sound with the reviewer's personal equipment. In the end, it is a bit of a pig in a poke.

Reading reviews helps to know how a cartridge/turntable/phono preamp will sound with the reviewer's personal equipment. In the end, it is a bit of a pig in a poke.

Agreed. In my case, I've had a lot of experience with Dynavectors in the 1980's, but my analog experience has been frozen since then... Curiously enough, I had not only bought and piled vinyl back then, but also bought (and still have a virgin) Stanton 881S too from back then! It will be fun to see how it sounds today and compare it with the XX-2...

So here's a new question - isolation

So I am not thrilled about the Seismic Sink or Ginko Could 12 solutions - squishy balls for isolation? I assume such solutions cannot guarantee perfect leveling of the table as the weight of the table cannot be perfectly distributed and the center of gravity cannot possibly be at the exact center, correct? On the other hand, a lot of people are apparently using them, so I am must be missing something...

So what I am thinking (and I have experience with) is a granite or marble slab sitting on top of a cork layer and the whole thing resting on top of the equipment rack. HRX stands use a granite slab as well, and I am not sure what's underneath them. But I had used this technique in the 1980's with marble and a Thorens table and it reduced rumble to a very large degree.

Thoughts?

So I am not thrilled about the Seismic Sink or Ginko Could 12 solutions - squishy balls for isolation?

Thoughts?

IMO, if you have issues / concerns relative isolation of your tt then the 'sand box' method is one of the best solutions.

I believe several of our members our using this approach with good results.

I know Tim's(MiTT) system incorporates it quite well.

IMO, if you have issues / concerns relative isolation of your tt then the 'sand box' method is one of the best solutions.

I believe several of our members our using this approach with good results.

I know Tim's(MiTT) system incorporates it quite well.

I am drawing a blank here... what's this 'sandbox' method? Thanks.

Yep, I'm using the Bright Star units under my Aries. It's a box full of 80 lbs of sand. There are two top sections, one for the table and one for the motor. They don't touch the sides of anything else nor one another. The motor is isolated from the table (save for the drive belt) and the whole shebang is isolated form the outside world. Between the mass and the isolation rendered by the sand there is no such thing as problems rendered by anything from foot falls on my suspended floor to microphonics translated up through the rack. It works very well.

I believe Jeff Zaret constructed a home brew version of what I have.

Attachments

• Analog08.jpg
    Analog08.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 941
Back