Conrad Johnson V. Pass Labs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need your opinions yet again. My son is currently running a Pass Labs X150.5 and X2.5 in his system. He came to me and wanted to go to Conrad Johnson LP70 and Conrad Johnson CT5 (well he is not going to get a CT5 but I can swing a CT6). What do you all think would be better? I know auditioning and personal peference matter but what do you think?

Associated Equip:
Dali Helicon 400 Speakers
Esoteric SA60 CDP
Music Hall 7.1 TT
Shunyata Cond
Acoustic Zen Wire
Jolida 9 phono stage

Let me know!!!

Thanks!
D

I would tell him he should've kept the Summits and get nothing. OR do nothing until....you know

I guess I have to through in my 2 cents here.

As some of you know, I do like CJ equipment and have owned several pieces. The CT6 is a great piece and but the CT5 is even better. Having said that there are a few options. You can look for a used one on Audiogon and there are not that many CT5's or he could go for the Premier 17LS2 which was it's predecessor. I have the Premier 17LS2 and it is a great piece. It is the older design looking as to their other pieces where the CT5 has the "new" look. Either piece would be great. The difference as far as I see besides the "look" is minimal and of course the price.

I also own the CJ LP70S. I looked at several and listened to several tube amps although none in my system but most of them were on Wilson speakers or ML's. I was concerned about the load and the lack of power I was trading down for but boy was I wrong!:eek: The LP70S is a great amp and is only 70 watts a side and has no problem at all with my CLSiiZ's. I provides me with the sound quality I was looking for which was a very realistic and neutral sound. The CLS's will let you know right away if there is something new/different in the "chain". :D

I do know that CJ's support is great. Just to let you know I wrote a letter to CJ about how impressed I was with the LP70S driving my CLSiiZ's and I got an email response from Bill Conrad!!. Not bad:bowdown:

I have not had or actually very little experience with Pass Labs and so I will not venture a comment because it will be a shot in the dark. I do know they are well built and others here do have various models.

It does come down to selection, preference, availability and $$.

If you need anything more about CJ let me know.

Good Luck.

Jeff:cool:

Latest posts

Back