Cones & Spikes?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
Over the years I've noticed that these can confer benefits (or sometimes not) when used to couple phonostages to the supporting surface?
By way of illustration here are 2 fairly recent examples :

Example 1 :Raven 1/Linn Ittok/MMIII with Whest PS0.3 phonostage (MM 47K input) :

Using 3 cones under the Whest resulted in a more tangible presentation. Low frequencies had more presence & solidity giving a greater sense of realism without any sonic penalties.

Example 2 : Raven 1/Graham Phantom II/Lyra Delos :

As you can see same basic foundation (also same 3 shelf rack as used above)
Top frequencies suffered from excessive glare, seeming more artificial compared with resorting to the Whest's normal foam rubber feet.
(...and there was I expecting identical effects!)
In this case the cones were not preferred...

In both cases the cones were operated spikes downward and situated in the same locations (one directly under the transformer, the other 2 positioned for stability)
Each shelf on the table is tri-spiked onto the level below (Steel spike onto embedded steel shoe). Stillpoints are standard on Ravens.

Interesting contrarian results going from MI to MC, albeit with different arms.
I could give other examples going further back in time with other phonostages...and other T/T.
It shows how unpredictable this hobby can be and emphasizes the importance of trialling rather than just assuming everything works to a pattern - even with such simple components as these?

Please feel free to share your own experiences.

Victor,

I am a firm believer in vibration resonance control under all hardware and would underscore your observation that listening to each product is the only way to determine efficacy.

GG

Well said Gordon....

I think the first time my eyes were opened to such possibilities was back in the mid 80s when I swapped high tensile stainless steel headshell screws in place of low tensile aluminium ones.
Nowadays such practices are frowned upon (for reasons that the cart body can become deformed) but the stainless steel provided a much tighter coupling for the solid alum cartridge body. (Anyone who's ever used a Syrinx PU2 tonearm will testify to the deformation warning - carts ended up with a diagonal groove across the back!)

I believe there is no one fix all solution, experimenting with various materials and combinations is necessary.
I recently placed slim damping feet (sorbothane type material) under each 3 stands of my Oracle Delphi. Although I didn't expect great results placing soft compound under a sensitive suspended turntable, they are now there to stay :) It is possible that having Delphi on top of rather thick solid wood plate which is spiked underneath to equipment rack requires additional damping instead of direct coupling of components.

MPS....your experience mirrors a demo I heard in 2010 of a "BlackRavioli" platform placed between an LP12 and the top tier of the rack.
Everyone knows LP12s dislike "additional" suspension components or compliances, preferring light, rigid tables, so the BlackRavioli was introduced with some scepticism. The LP12 sounded demonstrably better with this platform than without (even allowing for brief manhandling of the turntable and any possible mis-levelling that might have occurred - although I doubt there would be much...)

I was very impressed by the transformation. Compared with some of the other hi-End tables it became a more imposing challenger with this "quasi-Trampolin" device.

To the no-compromise brigade who have their Linns set up on the likes of an AudioTech table mounted on a solid concrete floor BlackRavioli might not offer the same degree of benefit, but for those with thick carpets, suspended floors and additional shelves full of equipment, it must be of great interest.
Certainly worth a listen - and fairly easily added. The platform I saw was custom designed for the LP12.

BTW I also learned that the company that manufactures BlackRavioli were originally tasked to find a way of sound-proofing submarines(!)....hence in the true spirit of diversification it eventually became available for the audio market.
I should add it was indifferently received at one audio exhibition, but I felt in the demo I received it was a clear improvement across-the-board. A no-brainer.
The only way to know for sure if it helps is to try some.(With or without relish :D )
Kind regards........

Back