Concerts booked for the Season

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Proms at Royal Albert Hall
At Barbican
At Royal Festival Hall
At Cadogan Hall

16 Aug, Proms - Sibelius 3, 4 and Violin concerto
3 Sep, Handel Arias at the Proms
7 Sep, Schehrezade at the Proms
10 Sep, Vienna Philharmonic at the Proms

15 Sep – Bernard Haitink/LSO, Bruckner 9
20 Sep - Bernard Haitink/LSO, Mahler 4

Wed 23 Sep - Mahler 7, London Philharmonic
Thu 24 Sep BBC Symphony Orchestra, Mahler 3
Sun 27 Sep – Beethoven 9, again
Sep 29 - Operatic Arias
Sep 30 - Operatic Arias

Oct 2 - Natalie Dessay Arias
Oct 4 - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1
Oct 9 Valery Gergiev/LSO Stravinsky Rite of Spring
Wed Oct 14 – Bostridge sings Handel arias
Thu 15 – Rachamaninov Piano Concerto 2
Thu 12 Nov Beethoven 3, Philharmonia
Fri 20 Nov Academy of Ancient Music, Loads of baroque arias
Tue 24 Violin Concertos, Bach, Telemann, etc
Wed 25 Mahler 1, London Philharmonic
Joseph calleja Friday 22 Jan
Thu 3 Mar Sibelius Violin Concerto
Tue 12 April Mahler 2
Thu 14 April Rachamninov Symphonic Dances

The cost of those tickets is still less than my used High Fidelity RCA

I had to book concerts in different halls because all concerts in Barbican sound the same, as they have the same frequency response. Festival Hall sounds different to Barbican, as different frequency response. And so on. So I effectively have only 4 concerts

I am a slack dog with regard to concert attendence by your example Kedar. You are truely an avid music lover. I salute you sir!

I'm have tickets for the following on Sept. 19th at our Betcher Hall:

SHOSTAKOVICH Festive Overture, Op. 96
TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 5 in D minor, Op. 47

And am hoping to be able to go to this program on Nov. 7th:

KABALEVSKY Overture to Colas Breugnon, Op. 24
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 16
RACHMANINOFF Symphony No. 3 in a minor, Op. 44

Andrew Litton will be conducting both.

Why do I feel somewhat ashamed of myself?

Shouldn't. Kedar is just pounding his chest.

Why not, I already did that with Lampi and Mooks, now with Concerts. Though that doesn't mean I will stop on Lampi and Mooks, just in case you were hoping

I am a slack dog with regard to concert attendence by your example Kedar. You are truely an avid music lover. I salute you sir!

I'm have tickets for the following on Sept. 19th at our Betcher Hall:

SHOSTAKOVICH Festive Overture, Op. 96
TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 5 in D minor, Op. 47

And am hoping to be able to go to this program on Nov. 7th:

KABALEVSKY Overture to Colas Breugnon, Op. 24
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 16
RACHMANINOFF Symphony No. 3 in a minor, Op. 44

Andrew Litton will be conducting both.

Why do I feel somewhat ashamed of myself?

It's easy for me, living in central London, all my concerts are on the way home from work, starting at 7.30pm, ideal, and I think UK concerts are subsidised so cheaper relative to elsewhere. Costs of tickets are only 40max, and I can get early and bulk discounts. Only Opera is expensive. Any decent seat is 150 or so. The Tchaikovsky piano concerto I am looking forward to

Last edited:
Why not, I already did that with Lampi and Mooks, now with Concerts. Though that doesn't mean I will stop on Lampi and Mooks, just in case you were hoping

I wonder how much better the concert would sound if they placed Mooks in front of the orchestra?

I wonder how much better the concert would sound if they placed Mooks in front of the orchestra?

Actually, at Barbican a lot of cellos and double bass are performers are on large wooden blocks that look like ebony wood. I will upload a pic next time

What I would like to do is listen to each of these pieces a bit before I go to the concert, then listen live, then come back and listen to them again, to properly understand the music. But that before and after takes a lot of commitment

Last edited:
Actually, at Barbican a lot of cellos and double bass are performers are on large wooden blocks that look like ebony wood. I will upload a pic next time

So are you saying that a large block of wood would have the same effect as a "Mook"? You could save yourself a lot of money!!

Psst - it probably serves no [intended] purpose other than to raise the instrument a little for the player.

So are you saying that a large block of wood would have the same effect as a "Mook"? You could save yourself a lot of money!!

Psst - it probably serves no [intended] purpose other than to raise the instrument a little for the player.

No, because his chair is on the block too, so both go up

It's easy for me, living in central London, all my concerts are the way home from work, starting at 7.30pm, ideal, and I think UK concerts are subsidised so cheaper relative to elsewhere. Costs of tickets are only 40max, and I can get early and bulk discounts. Only Opera is expensive. Any decent seat is 150 or so. The Tchaikovsky piano concerto I am looking forward to
Who's the pianist in the Tchaikovsky (nice piece of music)?

So far, all concerts at the Albert hall were poor. Sound just sucks there.

Bruckner 7 at Barbican with LSO and Bernard Haitink was phenomenal - loved the symphony, especially movements 1 and 3. Haitink has been brilliant in all 3 concerts I have seen him - Mahler 1, B's 9th, and Bruckner 7.

Mahler 7 yesterday had so much brass - the symphony is very hard to replicate live. Mahler 3 today with BBC Symphony Orchestra was excellent, the first movement had possibly the best brass tonality I have heard - there is so much brass solo.

These will make excellent auditions for brass.

I regret missing Haitink's Mahler 4 and Brahms 1. I have B's 9th again on Sunday and 3 aria concerts next week plus Tchaikovsky's piano concerto

Back