Coming close to pulling the trigger

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Hey boys,

I've heard a number of Logan's during my time in this audio gig, and I've always enjoyed what I heard. Now I am thinking about making my first foray into wearing Logan stripes by bringing home a set of Vantage's. A store located a few hours from me has them on sale/clearance for a pretty good price - to the point to where I feel its stupid not to highly consider picking them up. Before I make the move and fork over the green, I have a few questions and concerns that I hope the helpful members of this community can assist me with!

First, I listen to a massive variety of music - and I wonder how the Vantage will fair with genre's like electronic and rock. Naturally, I do not expect a slim line ESL panel to punch and thumb like an equal sized/priced cone and dome - but that's fine. To be honest, while I've always owned cones and domes, the speakers have always been fairly compact (with the exception of a large pair of Polk Audio SDA SRS's). Any rockers care to comment? I would bring some music with me before the purchase - but all things considered, its something I'd rather do at home.

Second, I'm concerned about room positioning. While I have plenty of GIK panels - the most distance I will be able to bring the Vantage from the wall will be 2ft.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated. I hope to do the deed tomorrow.. meanwhile, I look forward to your words and wisdom!

You'll find a lot of rockers here on the forum, myself included. The Logans won't lie when it comes to the quality of the recording. A good recording will sound awesome whatever the genre. I also listen to a fair amount of electronic and find the Vantage to be more than capable. If you were looking at any other ML without a powered woofer, you'll definitely want a sub for rock and electronic. The Vantage will do quite well without one though. You might want to peruse the "Off Topic Audio/Video" forum and especially the "Sunday Morning Music" thread to read what other owners are into musically and see if that helps give you an idea what to expect.

I have my Vantage about 2' from the back walls (measuring from the wall to the front of the panel) and I'm happy with it.

Good luck with the purchase!

I will have owned my Vantages come next month for three years, combined with a Velodyne DD-15 sub I am very satisfied. My musical taste range from Classic rock, jazz, blues, classical, new age......no rap or opera. will the Vantages crank out the SPL's of their dynamic driver counterparts...no, but they play plenty loud IMO and do so with speed accuracy and excellent tonal balance.

With regards to the distance from rear wall. While two feet might be acceptable to some it wouldn't be for me. No matter what, two feet will NOT give you the soundstage depth the speakers are capable of. Not that it can't sound 'good' it's just that the full potential will not be realized. To me a min of three ft, with the ideal 4-6 ft being the rule. Remember the closer to the rear wall the more you need to absorb rather than diffuse.

Good luck !

Last edited:
I second Dave's (Twitch's) recommendation about pulling the Vantages out a bit if you can. I recently borrowed a pair of Vantages and correctly set up (about 4 feet from the front wall, and just over 3 from the sides), the soundstaging was breathtaking.

As for volume, when powered by my 70W tube monoblocks, the Vantages went as loud on AC/DC as I wanted--which was pretty loud! :rocker:

First, I listen to a massive variety of music - and I wonder how the Vantage will fair with genre's like electronic and rock. Naturally, I do not expect a slim line ESL panel to punch and thumb like an equal sized/priced cone and dome
You're going to be hugely disappointed! In every box speaker you ever hear for the rest of your life. The only single issue with rock music that you'll have is if it's poorly recorded. You'll be able to hear every error that they missed (or even did on purpose) mastering it with their "studio monitors." There are a few of my old favorites that I'm not happy with since I got the MLs, such as Hootie & the Blowfish's first album, but it's not the speakers' fault. Outside of poor recordings, drums, guitar, cymbals... pretty much everything comes through so much cleaner and "authentic" that you'll more likely be disappointed in live music than that in your home.
Second, I'm concerned about room positioning. While I have plenty of GIK panels - the most distance I will be able to bring the Vantage from the wall will be 2ft.
This might be a problem. Probably not, having treatments, but 3' is probably going to be better than 2'.

First and foremost, a biggg thanks goes out to all of you! The information you’ve given me has been very helpful!

It looks like this will all boil down to luck/fate. I would have pulled the trigger on a set today, but unfortunately – I have no vehicle that’s large enough to comfortably transport the vantages from the store to my home. The soonest I will be able to procure a large enough vehicle (likely my dad’s F-350), will be on Friday. Unfortunately, I cannot purchase them now and pick them up later – so here’s to hoping they won’t be sold by then! I’ll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed! In fact, I may just have to bribe a friend today to take the trip up with me, since their truck would be suitable.

Brian_74 - I’ve become used to ‘tell it like it is’ components. I tend to enjoy the sense of honesty they provide, particularly in transducers, because they enable you to add or subtract flavors to the sound – enabling you to tune everything to your taste. Much thanks for the advice!

Twich54 – Thank you for your honesty! I really am not too concerned about SPL. I will readily admit that I have a pretty low threshold for high volumes anyway. Yep, the distance from the rear wall does concern me – and unfortunately, it may be a compromise I’ll have to live with – but only temporarily! The idea is to get a capable speaker that will work alright in my current situation, and be versatile enough to fit into a bigger space – something I am confident that the Vantage can/will do.

RichTeer – Ahhhhhh tubes and Martin Logan’s.. It’s like seks for de ears! Haha

MotorToad – I actually feel that there are a number of exceptional box designs out on the market. However, there is certainly something to be said for the panel sound! My ears have always perked in that direction anyway – so I’m excited to bring the experience to my home, versus someone else’s!

Tonepub – The room is fairly compact (with slightly odd dimensions). It’s roughly 13.5ft wide by 10ft deep by 8ft in height (I recently busted out the measuring stick)While I concede to it being a small space, the Vantage’s will only spend a moderate amount of time in it. They will be treated to a larger space soon enough!

It looks like this will all boil down to luck/fate. I would have pulled the trigger on a set today, but unfortunately – I have no vehicle that’s large enough to comfortably transport the vantages from the store to my home. The soonest I will be able to procure a large enough vehicle (likely my dad’s F-350), will be on Friday. Unfortunately, I cannot purchase them now and pick them up later – so here’s to hoping they won’t be sold by then! I’ll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed! In fact, I may just have to bribe a friend today to take the trip up with me, since their truck would be suitable.

Your dealer might deliver them for you; and I guess renting a truck is always an option if friends can't be persuaded!

Thanks boys! Well, I managed to persuade the friend to accompany me for the trip. It turned out he wanted to go up that way anyway! So, here I am tonight, listening to my new set of Vantage's. Woot!! I can't wait for tomorrow - as I'll have time to play with em' then!!!! :)

Enjoy! I borrowed a pair of Vantages a few weeks ago, and was very impressed. I tried a few other (admitedly, a bit cheaper) brands of speakers, but none came close to the Vantage.

Don't worry about rocking with the loagns. However the 2ft from the wall is a bit of a problem . The ideal would be 5 ft to the stator. You could probably get away with 4 ft but I have my doubts at 2 ft. They really need space behind them.

Hey Zero, congrats ! I'm sure you will be pleased, keep in mind if you have to tuck them close to the wall, acoustic absourption (on the wall behind them) will help.

Me thinks you will be wanting more space ...ASAP !!

Well, I can safely say I didn't accomplish a thing today! Damn you Vantages! :music:

After spending a better half of the day messing with placement, I think I've found their 'happy spot' for this room. Strangely enough, I prefer them at 2ft from the rear wall versus a little over 3ft. Weird, no? :confused:

So, after some vacuuming, floor-spike adjusting, and a whole lotta' toeing in, I've got the Vantages where I want them. Of course, I really don't have to tell any of the converted here about the beautiful music that they make. That's a given! :D Although my situation is far from ideal - they seem to work better in this space than my set of Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Sig's (which need quite a bit of space to do their thing). I'm also incredibly impressed by how easy the Vantage's are to drive - the amp doesn't even get luke-warm with em'.

Here's to a lot more listening!! :)

Back