CLX, Summit, Spire, Vantage Parts Cost - Anyone Want To Guesstimate?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I still find it highly commendable that ML takes care of their older customers and makes the parts available...

I think the prices being charged for replacement panels are absolutely beyond belief good stateside... and to MLs complete credit. Whilst I have to pay a lot more over here, I understand WHY I have to pay a lot more. But even then, I still think it's a good deal, even though I personally have had to replace twice after about 6-7 years.

I think the prices being charged for replacement panels are absolutely beyond belief good stateside... and to MLs complete credit. Whilst I have to pay a lot more over here, I understand WHY I have to pay a lot more. But even then, I still think it's a good deal, even though I personally have had to replace twice after about 6-7 years.

You in Engaland are probably paying about as much as I in Australia. I'm not as understading as you about that cost - sorry, raw nerve.

To the contray, I don't understand why I have to pay a lot more.

The importer for a start - they simply take goods from ML and pass them to a retailer here - why oh why do they need such a big cut (or why are they needed at all?)

...and why won't ML sell directly to me if I don't want to deal with those idiots? It's almost like saying "We know they're shafting you something major and if given half the chance you'd buy directly from us, but we're going to protect them." WTF?

Case in point - A few years ago when the $AUD was worth $US0.60 or so the Benchmark DAC1 sold here for $AUD1,899. In the intervening years, the $AUD has gone up to $US0.96 and do you know what the Benchmark DAC-1 sells for here? - you guessed it, $AUD1,899!

Last edited:
Yup, amey01, when the exchange rate goes in their favour, the importers suck the profit. When it doesn't, the price goes up. Exactly the same thing happens here. It's kind of like a peak VU meter that never resets!

Anyway, tonepub, thanks for your contributions to this thread. I felt they were the best!

USR211, you should have been a cost accountant, based on this question. However, cost accounting does not take the entire economic and sociological picture into account. The parts don't really cost a lot, but that's not where the value is. In fact I hope the parts cost very little, so ML can make as much profit as they need, part of which they would revert back into R&D for other great products.

If a tornado were to sweep through Kansas and the ML plant were to be blown away, ML can probably rebuild the factory in a couple of months and produce the same quality products. The knowledge is in people's heads. It is also embedded in the social networks between employees and their suppliers.

I do not know, but I sure hope that the price ML charges is based on value, not on a markup of cost. (It is not for most manufacturers.) If I want a house on the beach by the ocean vs. 20 miles from the ocean, I pay more for the same house on the water because of the extra value of I receive living near the ocean. It should be the same with speakers and other audio equipment. How much difference is there between the Vantage and the Summit? Costwise, there is probably not much. But for someone with a big room, the value difference is huge.

It's kind of like a peak VU meter that never resets!

hahahaha - good way of describing it!

It wouldn't normally bother me - it's almost laughable - except that Benchmark (and people like them) don't want to know me - "Deal with your country's distributor" they say. So much for free market.

Umm. ML is in business to make money. They are NOT a non profit company last time I checked. When I worked for Ferrari the markup was also crazy. It's amazing what something can cost with demand.....

you guys should quite while you are ahead

oh it's too late for that now!:mad:

Back