CLX - Problems with Projectors?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJayHache

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I'm a huge ML Fan (and long-term owner) and heard the CLX demo at Absolute Sounds booth at the UK hifi show with every intent of buying a pair - and the sound quality was absolutely superb. However I can see one potential deal-breaker for those of us with video projectors:

If you've demo'd a pair and driven them at any volume will have noticed that the bass panels move back and forward to push/pull air - and this can be easily seen in any reflected light.

My question/concern is as follows :- whenever these bass panels start to move wont they will twinkle / reflect the light from a video projector's lamp? - this could be extremely distracting...

Whilst all ML panels reflect light I think these CLXs are unique in having a visible range of motion (as the panel is full range) so the reflected light will seem to flash/move...

Has anybody seen a Front Projector system using CLXs yet? Preferably in a nice dark room?

Thanks for any pointers
JayJayHache

Hello JayJayHache,

I agree with you the CLX panels do move and cause the light reflecting off of it to shimmer. It is more visible on the bass panels because they move slower and further and I suppose this can be distracting given a darkened room and one light source from the back. My monoliths Mylar also shimmer but only at levels above 75 db. I don’t see it in the dark because I do not use a projector.

I know in the past the Monoliths could be had with a cloth sock to cover the panels. I don’t know if one will be available for the CLX or if one can be made.

Oh just as an FYI I get out to Swindon 2 to 3 times a year. We have an office in Kembery park. Oh, and what is up with that “Magic roundabout”? I still do not get it and I have driven through it many times.

For HT who cares! The little degradation you would get from a sock would not be as bad as the CLX being used as fronts for a HT system.

Jeff, you ask a good question. All I know is that ML did offer a sock for the Monolith. I assume it will impact the sound to some degree. Not sure if it is for the better or not. I have been tempted to call ML to order this sock for the monoliths only to keep my panels cleaner longer.

Last edited:
For HT who cares! The little degradation you would get from a sock would not be as bad as the CLX being used as fronts for a HT system.

I beg to differ with you. For example, my socks would keep EVERYONE out of the room. ;)

I have a front projector and a pair of summits. But the light from the projector does not shine on or through the speakers. In fact I had to reduce my screen size to avoid the speakers when I got them. So no I do not think that the mlyar movement will be distracting in a HT. The problems I see are the speaker size and positioning. Ususally the screen takes up a fair portion of the front of the room. To properly position the CLX it will have to be out from the front and SIDE walls by several feet This will probably be an hinderance in any thing but a theater sized room. To support a 105" screen the room will have to be 15 - 20 feet wide and at least 20 feet long.

Also since buying my Summits I have been watching TV/movies far less and listening to music much more. So I would set the room up for sound and take whatever compromises in screen size/video performance. The CLX is a great speaker but a little overkill for strictly HT usage. just my $0.02

--burke

I'm about 50:50 between music use vs. HT use - and the room is pretty big (5.9m wide 9.1m deep - big for UK standards) however the screen is already installed (ceiling recessed) and can't be changed without enormous investment (and probably my death at the hands of my wife)

Hybrid rooms are always a compromise - but in this case I might be better going with Summits (or similar) rather than having a full range ES speaker. Hohum...

When I heard the CLX's in a demo, the room was darkened, but there was light coming in through the door, and I did notice the bass panel shimmer, and inititally I found it facinating/distracting. But I would argue that it would be less of a distraction when watching a movie where your attention is actually focused on the screen. ;)

Chuck

leave your socks on your feet !

I do not have CLX but there really is no light that reflects from my spires
even if it did I really would not care projectors are very directional anyway I highly doubt this is a real problem.

anybody that puts a cloth anything over their speakers espeacially a sock sould commited to an insane asylum.:confused:

CLX sock

The CLX does come with a stock sock that is very similar to the Summit sock. It would keep you from seeing reflections and visually swaying with the sound on the CLX during use of a bright projector during a Home Theater event.

I currently have the CLXs downstairs in a 5.1 music only set-up. I listen to music in total darkness or low light so panel sway is not an issue for me. Okay, here come the jokes. Yeah light can get in the way of the sound, afterall light waves move at a much high speed than sound waves, right.:ROFL:

And then I have a Martin Logan 7.1 Home Theater setup upstairs. My projector is a Sony VPL VW200 with a DaLite Hi-Power screen. So although I am sure that would qualify, I have not had any issues with the Stylos or Stage upfront with reflections, but I do not have any plans to move the CLX upstairs to check out the reflection issues, for fear of ridicule of using the CLX that way. Just kidding, I am sure some would take issue with running them in a 5.1 system, but the truth is I can't really take them upstairs without running into lots of other issues and some of you know what those are. Anyway, hopefully someone will set up the CLXs in a Home Theater environment with a projector onto a 'big' screen, or for that matter why couldn't one of the dealers that have been demoing the CLXs just set them up with a projector in a HT environment and see what issues the reflectivity bring to light, so to speak. For that matter, maybe someone already has but they are too senstive to HT riducule to tell us.

I did not know the CLX came with a sock or for that matter the Summits. I have only seen pictures of the Monoliths with a sock. I have never seen any of the other ML models with a sock.

This is all news to me.

Thanks

I think they are meant to be DUST covers and not as a Cover to have on while playing music !

Well now that you say that, maybe they are only available on ML models sold in the US. We have them here in the US to protect them from food fights and elections!:ROFL:

Don't you guys listen to music mostly in a dark room with your eyes closed?

I DO!

Hi Jay - I'm just down the road in Bristol... was there in the CLX room on the Friday - check my show report (if you haven't already - it is in the Off Topic Audio/Video section).

Listening to the Killers live on Radio 1 as I type... where you at the show on the Friday? Anyway - if your worried about seeing projector reflections, why don't you try and work out if you actually will?

Just draw a diagram with some paper to scale. It shouldn't be too hard, using likely CLX angles and projector position etc.

If your worried, call Jon Harker at Oxford Audio. I'm sure he'll let you home dem IF you are serious. Don't bother him if you aren't though.

I'm thinking about getting some CLSIIz, because Jon has just said he will get me some CLS panels for a 2nd hand pair. The reason I am thinking about it is because of the CLX dem - CLXs on the cheap, as it were. However, I am sure they won't be as good, but they WILL be a damn site cheaper...:D

When you get 'em, invite me round to comment:):):):)

What gear are you using? Be good to see your system in the member's section.

Last edited:
Back