CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was I saying? Hm... decided Munich is closer so I'll be there instead. Got me a nice hotel booked;)

Munich Hi-End 2011

Go on Todd - fly over. You know it makes sense.:)

Very, very, very tempting. Would greatly enjoy sampling all that tech-candy and maybe hitting a bier cloister or two with you, but reality has a fairly tight grip on me these days. If I were a single non-Dad, I would be over in a femto-second. Been several years since I've trod about in Munich.

As it stands, I may well be in Europe this September - most likely Italy.

At any rate, enjoy the show and I know you'll do what you can to keep those of us under house-arrest apprised.

Cheers

Yup, I figured the chances were about 0.00003% of you getting there, after some fairly advanced theoretical mathematics and mega-distance remote brain wave sensors were utilised prior to the post.

I'll take the camera... it'd be rude not to post a few pics. But there will be better photographers than me there, with much better cameras.

Hey Sleepy,

As a transport via HDMI, it's doing just fine so far. Responsive, fast loading, attractive, and seems to send out all the bits in the right order ;) I'm using it almost exclusively for SACD playback (internally converting DSD to 24/88.2 LPCM). Sounds glorious. Really, I have no regrets at all in making the purchase.

Let us know what you think of the 95 once you get'er up and runnin'. And good luck with those relatives of yours ;)

Cheers

Have you tried going direct DSD output via the analog outs, I also have the bdp93 and the sound is noticeably better. I did a blind test with my wife and she picked the DSD output 100% of the time. you can use HDMI for video and analog for 2 channel audio. Also, if you have multichannel you can have it going through the hdmi at the same time and just switch via the Preamp.

Speaking of shows, is anyone going to the one in June in Newport Beach, California ?
Probably, as I want to hear the Scaenas, at least. Are you considering attending, Bernard?

Probably, as I want to hear the Scaenas, at least. Are you considering attending, Bernard?

The Scaena's are extraordinary.

We hung out for a few hours after the Axpona show and listened with Alan Eichenbaum one of the owners of Scaena (very nice guy.)

They are on my short list of a speaker I would love own.

Have you tried going direct DSD output via the analog outs, I also have the bdp93 and the sound is noticeably better. I did a blind test with my wife and she picked the DSD output 100% of the time. you can use HDMI for video and analog for 2 channel audio. Also, if you have multichannel you can have it going through the hdmi at the same time and just switch via the Preamp.

Hi,

What did your wife compare (and prefer) the DSD (analog) outs in comparison to? Are you saying you use a receiver that's able to decode 24 bit 88.2KHz audio from the HDMI output of the 93 when playing SACDs?

To answer your question, no, I have not listened to the analog outs of the 93 because I use a W4S DAC2 for D/A duties... plus, I use the DAC2 as my pre-amp, so I don't currently have a pre-amp (volume control) function to listen to the analog outputs of the 93.

Cheers,

-Todd

Hi,

What did your wife compare (and prefer) the DSD (analog) outs in comparison to? Are you saying you use a receiver that's able to decode 24 bit 88.2KHz audio from the HDMI output of the 93 when playing SACDs?

To answer your question, no, I have not listened to the analog outs of the 93 because I use a W4S DAC2 for D/A duties... plus, I use the DAC2 as my pre-amp, so I don't currently have a pre-amp (volume control) function to listen to the analog outputs of the 93.

Cheers,

-Todd

This is from the Oppo website with regards to a recent firmware update:

From the website:

"For users who only use the analog audio output, setting "HDMI Audio" to "Off" and "SACD Output" to "DSD" in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the setup menu will now maintain DSD output to the analog audio D/A converters. The previous firmware will force a conversion to PCM if the connected HDMI TV or A/V receiver cannot support DSD."

TSV,

I don't want to thread hijack, but to answer your question from my introduction thread, I have had maggie MG12's, 1.7's and currently have 3.6's. I am using them with Wyred4Sound sx-1000's(which I love) and will be fortunate enough to have both the Spires and 3.6's at the same time for a head to head comparison. I will share my observations with you guys for sure.

(oh, and on the upgraditus front... there's still some subwoofing realignment to be done - thanks to Necrosuit... stay tuned ;) )

Ha! Let me know when you get the Decents! you will likey....

I also just traded one of my Dk amps for a Analog setup. Got the Clearaudio Concept, Clearaudio Basic phono Stage and Clear Audio Meastro cartidge coming.....well see....

Amp shootout is coming!!!!

Yeah, me too. I saw and listened to the video on my second system with M.L. Vistas. Looks like a few others watched that vid. Great job on that Todd. Did you mention who was playing that guitar?

How about another vid with upright bass... :)

Ray

Yeah, me too. I saw and listened to the video on my second system with M.L. Vistas. Looks like a few others watched that vid. Great job on that Todd. Did you mention who was playing that guitar?

How about another vid with upright bass... :)

Ray

Glad you enjoyed the vid... I'm still quite surprised the sound came through as well as it did given iPhone/youtube. And yes, Ray, I mentioned the artist (Tommy Emmanuel) in the youtube vid description pull-down.

I do intend to shoot another "high production value" movie now that the ModWrights are installed. I have a nice Holly Cole tune with upright bass which I could use.

Thanks again guys :)

OK, Today's test question for Todd, and possibly Larry, concerns the Olive. Any updates on performance, convenience, quirks, odd behaviors, audio quality, etc? Would you purchase again given your experience with the unit?

Curious minds want to know!

Back