CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p.p.s. Justin - Yes, my uber-praise above clearly reflects my self-congratulatory attitude, even bordering on self-love... but it is what it is... incredibly accurate, musical, amazing sound :)

Todd - congrats glad you are happy. Big bucks spent so I'm only glad you have a pleasing result. You genuinely seem well stoked!!!

Graceland sounds just freekin' awesome by default, though. I suppose the CLX just might be able to render it about half as well as a pair of Graz'd Duettas. So you should feel very happy to get as close to the sonic nirvana I experience;)

One day, when you come across a pair of Rich Murray's Duettas or Divas, you'll understand...:) May take a while or it may take longer - then finally, you will have reached The End. The point where further improvement simply cannot be achieved. Just like I have.:ROFL:

Todd - congrats glad you are happy. Big bucks spent so I'm only glad you have a pleasing result. You genuinely seem well stoked!!!

Graceland sounds just freekin' awesome by default, though. I suppose the CLX just might be able to render it about half as well as a pair of Graz'd Duettas. So you should feel very happy to get as close to the sonic nirvana I experience;)

One day, when you come across a pair of Rich Murray's Duettas or Divas, you'll understand...:) May take a while or it may take longer - then finally, you will have reached The End. The point where further improvement simply cannot be achieved. Just like I have.:ROFL:

There's only one way to settle this... sumo-wrestling... no, wait. Fly your monarchical arse over here for a proper listening session... and THEN, with clear conscience (albeit a tragic untruth) you can make extrordinary claims like those above.

Seriously, don't know if/when you ever come to the states, but would be delighted to have you drop by for little sound and suds.

Cheers

Awesome and finally!!!!!

So happy you got it going again.
hmmmm, now I might have to buy me a pair of MW's and compare!!! hahaha

dont forget me and Necropop are coming in July to visit!! Ill bring my MBL's and we will have the shoot out. My amps only weigh 50lb each...easy to move. Cheers again Todd!!!

Thanks Pete!

Can't wait for you and Bob to drop on in for some ear-oggling.

Cheers!

Hey that's the spirit - bake those amps off!!! Much harder for you guys given the size of the country, so respect, but I must admit I have no clue over the distance between the two of you - just assuming it isn't small.

I think it's a 7+ hour drive

Way cool Todd! Only one way to get higher... analog :D:D::D j/k

I can only imagine how awesome your system sounds now. Congrats.

Ray

Art for the Ear

Congratulations Todd!

They look stunning, I am reminded of Robert Persig as he tried to describe 'Quality'.........also this comes to mind........
'Art' or 'craft' is the English equivalent of the Greek root syllable 'techn-'.

Your new technology in the house appears to have aligned with DNA we so seldom see or hear these days, Art.

Now you are free of that dreaded curse we have all experienced, " upgraditis" , enjoy looking for new music and pulling out old favorite loves.

The journey has been clearly worth it and I for one am delighted for you.

Jeff

Way cool Todd! Only one way to get higher... analog :D:D::D j/k

I can only imagine how awesome your system sounds now. Congrats.

Ray

Thanks Ray... and if you throw enough tech at it, it gets virtually indiscernible from analog (IMO) so all's good in the ear canal ;)

Congratulations Todd!

They look stunning, I am reminded of Robert Persig as he tried to describe 'Quality'.........also this comes to mind........
'Art' or 'craft' is the English equivalent of the Greek root syllable 'techn-'.

Your new technology in the house appears to have aligned with DNA we so seldom see or hear these days, Art.

Now you are free of that dreaded curse we have all experienced, " upgraditis" , enjoy looking for new music and pulling out old favorite loves.

The journey has been clearly worth it and I for one am delighted for you.

Jeff

A kind and thoughtful commentary, Jeff. Most appreciated. I've said before elsewhere in this forum that I am quite unashamed of my enthusiasm for both good sound and pleasing aesthetics. I find the MW amps to be beautifully designed in all facets. The chromesque-wrapped transformers within are quite stunning as well. I'll try to get a good picture of that to share. I enjoy a system that looks as good as it sounds, and I think that gap is getting diminishingly small (again, IMO, since this is all in the eye of the beholder. Might look like boring "me-too" to others, and that's perfectly fine... to each his/her own).

And yes, there is MUCH music exploring to be done :)

Cheers

(oh, and on the upgraditus front... there's still some subwoofing realignment to be done - thanks to Necrosuit... stay tuned ;) )

Last edited:
Todd, big congrats on your acquisition of the ModWright KWA150SEs. What a fantastic arrangement of hardware you have their. I would love to have a listen! It’s nice to know to have more them ample clean power under the hood to drive your panels properly, that’s why I love my Pass XA160.5s so much as they put me in the state of nirvana. Again what a system you have their! :music:

Todd, big congrats on your acquisition of the ModWright KWA150SEs. What a fantastic arrangement of hardware you have their. I would love to have a listen! It’s nice to know to have more them ample clean power under the hood to drive your panels properly, that’s why I love my Pass XA160.5s so much as they put me in the state of nirvana. Again what a system you have their! :music:

Thanks George!

I sooo wanted the tubes to work in this syetm... and the PL amps were wonderful, but they simply ran out of steam (politely, but unmistakebly). And in retrospect they could not compete with the noisefloor of the MWs either. And in further restrospect, they really aren't even in the same class wrt articulation, fluidity, and listenability. The MWs are close to perfect IMO, or at least as close as I've heard in 35 years of playing this foolish game ;)

I'm 100% in your camp now. Big, well designed SS amps are pure gold - at least with my CLXs. BTW, I occasionally go back and check out your system pics... a really gorgeous setup!

Cheers :)

There's only one way to settle this... sumo-wrestling... no, wait. Fly your monarchical arse over here for a proper listening session... and THEN, with clear conscience (albeit a tragic untruth) you can make extrordinary claims like those above.

Seriously, don't know if/when you ever come to the states, but would be delighted to have you drop by for little sound and suds.

Cheers

Of course the reverse offer applies. I usually threaten to go to Denver around the time of RMAF but keep going elsewhere instead. But you never know... this year is possible:D

Watching USA coverage of the Royal Wedding was amusing, and some of the assertions that were being made were making my wife smile, to say the least. I'm not sure the American media understands UK culture that well.

When I Google Greate State O'Maine it isn't recognised. Where is it? Miles from Denver I bet... so you're safe from me telling you the truth about your CLXs:D;):eek:

I'm not sure the American media understands UK culture that well

The American media has their collective head up their collective ass 99% of the time. It's beyond tragic.

Oh, and the southern border of Maine is about 1 hour north of Boston. I assume you've heard of Boston? ;)

I trust you will continue to somehow tolerate those inarticulate monstrosities you call speakers whilst I will bask in the ethereal vibrational radiance of my transcendent transducers.

And what does one say to a British citizen re: the royal wedding? Congrats? ... if so, then Congrats. I will say it is very, very nice for the world to share a happy event (something like 2B viewers!) once in a while versus all the meaningless bloodshed and natural disasters that seem to be spiraling upward at a rather breathtaking pace these days.

Cheers

Oh, and the southern border of Maine is about 1 hour north of Boston. I assume you've heard of Boston? ;)

I trust you will continue to somehow tolerate those inarticulate monstrosities you call speakers whilst I will bask in the ethereal vibrational radiance of my transcendent transducers.

And what does one say to a British citizen re: the royal wedding? Congrats? ... if so, then Congrats. I will say it is very, very nice for the world to share a happy event (something like 2B viewers!) once in a while versus all the meaningless bloodshed and natural disasters that seem to be spiraling upward at a rather breathtaking pace these days.

Cheers

Boston? You are safe then, Todd.:)

Inarticulate monstrosities, hey? Well, if we were to bake-off just your CLXs sans sub, versus by hot-rodded Duetta Sigs, in the bass dept, you would LOSE. 100% definately. No doubt about it. Nup. I would hasten to add they have better slam/punch than a CLX too. Just IMHO, of course:) No need to cry, though. The CLX does do good things. It really does. Honest. I heard a pair once.;)

Re wedding - she is a looker. She really is. Let's hope the paps don't kill this one, hey?

Re wedding - she is a looker. She really is. Let's hope the paps don't kill this one, hey?

I caught a little replay today... and at the risk of sounding like a ~50 yr old letch who should really be locked away, her little sister is a bloody goddess!

I caught a little replay today... and at the risk of sounding like a ~50 yr old letch who should really be locked away, her little sister is a bloody goddess!

Yeah Pippa I was just checking her out as my wife mentioned it and said she was even better.;)

Yeah Pippa I was just checking her out as my wife mentioned it and said she was even better.;)
I had insomnia so ended up watching a lot of it. During the coverage they mentioned that Pippa's nickname was "Sexy Pippa" in her home town.

I was amazed to hear an English TV reporter refer to "The Ma-hl", and wondered what it was, until I realized that he was referring to "The Mall".

Of course the reverse offer applies. I usually threaten to go to Denver around the time of RMAF but keep going elsewhere instead. But you never know... this year is possible:D

What was I saying? Hm... decided Munich is closer so I'll be there instead. Got me a nice hotel booked;)

Munich Hi-End 2011

Go on Todd - fly over. You know it makes sense.:)

Back