CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd, when I sic'd SoundHound on my iPhone on that second track, it came back with Japanese characters.

In any case, it is Albinoni's "Adagio". The version I have is by "I Musici", but on that second sample it is played much slower and more profoundly than the version I have, perhaps just a bit too slow for my taste, though (yes, I know I'm a tough cookie!). Maybe Mischa Maisky does it on the cello?

Thx. Yes, I got only Kanji as well - thus the cry for help. I'll d/l shazam and see if it can solve the mystery. I must have a half dozen recordings of Adagio but none as profound (good descriptor).

... downloaded Shazam... worthless. Couldn't identify it at all. Now I'm on a mission.

Last edited:

Attachments

• r2d2beep.jpg
    r2d2beep.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 275
Then it must sound like R2D2!

I know, right? What the hell is he saying "it's just analog all the way through"... gotta be some "cultural barrier" or something going on. Unless he's talking about some new approach to Delta-Sigma conversion? Or maybe his box doesn't play redbook CDs at all but instead some sort of medium that can store direct analog recordings - holographic or something. Or maybe he uses magnetism... yeah. Some sort of magnetic "tape" that somehow stores audio signa.... hey, wait a minute.

Or maybe he's just trying to provoke gullible idiots like me to ponder what sort of mystical (b.s.) he's managed to harness. Yeah, probably this last thing.

My pleasure, Todd; glad I could help!

Now I just need to find a copy for <$45 clams... this one ain't cheap. Still, at least it's obtainable. Thanks again Rich... this Forum is great!

Attachments

• 373718158_e440aa65b5_o.jpg
    373718158_e440aa65b5_o.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 233
Family Reunion

Hey Guys,

So... some of you may recall my trials and tribulations with the JL Audio F112 subs (i.e. low level hum). After much debug, I was able to reduce the hum, but never completely eliminate it. The fact that I could swap in a Velodyne SPL1000 with zero hum finally convinced me that the JLs simply did not want to play nice in my 2-chan setup. As such, I sold one and the other was "banished" to the HT downstairs (where the hum can't be heard... hmmm).

So, what to do, what to do (about LF augmentation in 2-channel land). I did a lot of reading and almost pulled the trigger on one of Paradigm's new Subs (the Sub 1 in this case). But after visiting a local shop and hearing one of Paradigm's other reference subs (forget which model... big one with alien looking feet etc.), I realized that it too had some low level hum as well, even in the shop's setup. Not wanting to risk it, I shifted away from Paradigm :p

OK, now what? Well, I figured I might as well "come home" to Martin Logan, so after much reading and chatting with a pal who owns the Depth i, I rolled the dice on a pair of Maple Depth i as well. They just got here today... didn't take long before I had them both set up and dialed in to the CLXs... guess what. Zero hum. Absolutely dead quiet (until of course they thunder to life when called upon).

I find them every bit as satisfying as the F112s wrt quality bass and integration with the CLXs... but better obviously as they run silent and deep, like a good sub should (marine or otherwise).

Just thought I would share this ML "family reunion" with y'all.

Cheers

Attachments

• depth i 006.jpg
    depth i 006.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 174
And quite frankly look incredibly cool with your setup.

Todd,
Did you get the CLX filter for them?

I love my Depth i, its flawless, powerfull and the blending (after time & tweaking) is amazing too. I had some friends over and they didnt even realize at first that there was a sub, then after explaining how it all works they admitted that they cannot tell that the sub even exists. they wondered how the clear panel can produce such powerfull hitting lows....

And quite frankly look incredibly cool with your setup.

Gracias... yeah... I was a little worried that the Maple veneer wouldn't really match the CLX trim, but they match almost perfectly (tough to tell in the picture... but it's true... cross my heart etc etc)

Todd,
Did you get the CLX filter for them?

I love my Depth i, its flawless, powerfull and the blending (after time & tweaking) is amazing too. I had some friends over and they didnt even realize at first that there was a sub, then after explaining how it all works they admitted that they cannot tell that the sub even exists. they wondered how the clear panel can produce such powerfull hitting lows....

No filter... I have the Low-pass roll-off set to "CLX" (which appears to be at about 30Hz). Not sure I really need the special filters... what do you think? Did you try without the filter cards but with ther CLX setting on the top control?

Let me add that I realize the "CLX" setting actually selects the special filter when installed... It just sounds good at 30Hz right now in my room. I would like to look into the filter though. I don't see it listed on MLs site as a separate item. Is that something I would need to get through a dealer?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

So... some of you may recall my trials and tribulations with the JL Audio F112 subs (i.e. low level hum). After much debug, I was able to reduce the hum, but never completely eliminate it. The fact that I could swap in a Velodyne SPL1000 with zero hum finally convinced me that the JLs simply did not want to play nice in my 2-chan setup. As such, I sold one and the other was "banished" to the HT downstairs (where the hum can't be heard... hmmm).

So, what to do, what to do (about LF augmentation in 2-channel land). I did a lot of reading and almost pulled the trigger on one of Paradigm's new Subs (the Sub 1 in this case). But after visiting a local shop and hearing one of Paradigm's other reference subs (forget which model... big one with alien looking feet etc.), I realized that it too had some low level hum as well, even in the shop's setup. Not wanting to risk it, I shifted away from Paradigm :p

OK, now what? Well, I figured I might as well "come home" to Martin Logan, so after much reading and chatting with a pal who owns the Depth i, I rolled the dice on a pair of Maple Depth i as well. They just got here today... didn't take long before I had them both set up and dialed in to the CLXs... guess what. Zero hum. Absolutely dead quiet (until of course they thunder to life when called upon).

I find them every bit as satisfying as the F112s wrt quality bass and integration with the CLXs... but better obviously as they run silent and deep, like a good sub should (marine or otherwise).

Just thought I would share this ML "family reunion" with y'all.

Cheers

I love living ML-cariously through you.

No filter... I have the Low-pass roll-off set to "CLX" (which appears to be at about 30Hz). Not sure I really need the special filters... what do you think? Did you try without the filter cards but with ther CLX setting on the top control?

Let me add that I realize the "CLX" setting actually selects the special filter when installed... It just sounds good at 30Hz right now in my room. I would like to look into the filter though. I don't see it listed on MLs site as a separate item. Is that something I would need to get through a dealer?

Thanks

Hola...we are using the filters here and are a joy to use. I love what I listen...the truth is, really feels there are no subs. We are using the Descent I. I just ordered two weeks ago, two Depht I and two pairs of CLXs...one is for me at last!!! I am a not too much bass man. Love the deepest notes, but I like no booming bass. With the music that I usually listen, I don´t think a sub is needed...this is my liking and not necessary yours...I wish to all of you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola...we are using the filters here and are a joy to use. I love what I listen...the truth is, really feels there are no subs. We are using the Descent I. I just ordered two weeks ago, two Depht I and two pairs of CLXs...one is for me at last!!! I am a not too much bass man. Love the deepest notes, but I like no booming bass. With the music that I usually listen, I don´t think a sub is needed...this is my liking and not necessary yours...I wish to all of you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Roberto and CONGRATS on your CLX acquisition!!! Please keep us informed with thoughts and photos once they arrive.

Cheers,

-Todd

the filter is a circuit board that will plug into 4 connections on the controller board, underneath the top. it retails for $180 and a dealer may order it for you. Once the board is installed, it replaces the 30 hz X over point. In my multiple set ups with the speaker, I have always achieved the best results using the board. Joe V has never been too open about the specifics but he does say it is very specific to the CLX needs. As for getting good results now, I beleive you can with plenty of trial and error so am not suggesting you run out and get one. One day, when you are bored perhaps.

the filter is a circuit board that will plug into 4 connections on the controller board, underneath the top. it retails for $180 and a dealer may order it for you. Once the board is installed, it replaces the 30 hz X over point. In my multiple set ups with the speaker, I have always achieved the best results using the board. Joe V has never been too open about the specifics but he does say it is very specific to the CLX needs. As for getting good results now, I beleive you can with plenty of trial and error so am not suggesting you run out and get one. One day, when you are bored perhaps.

Thanks Peter... I appreciate you weighing in on this.

Hola Roberto and CONGRATS on your CLX acquisition!!! Please keep us informed with thoughts and photos once they arrive.

Cheers,

-Todd

Thanks...Is is about time to do it!! Some time ago, at Las Vegas Show, Peter Soderberg showed me some pics of the new electrostatic model with no dynamic speaker for low frequency...and all he said: it is not a CLS it is a CLX!!!... when I did listen it, another cupid angel, using a bigger arrow, pointed again, direct to my heart!...since then, the sound of the CLX is in my brain, singing all the time in my head. Do not get me wrong here. I love my CLSIIZ. And when I have a chance to listen different brands, like I just did at the Vegas Show, I was so content saying to myself,.." boy, it is good to have any Martin Logans..." There are good sounding speakers out there...but you have to spend a fortune to buy them. And what you pay and what you get, Martin Logan is the best buy!!! Back again with Peter...at the Show, I said to him that I was ready for the CLX...and he said: You are going to re-discover again all your recordings. The harmonic texture and dynamics with these babies, you are going to have tons of fun!...well done with your decision. The CLS are very critical with their set up. Whit the CLX not so. Since I fired them up, the first thing that I noticed was their magic! It a kind of magic that I had never listen to any other speaker, not even the so famous Magico M3 with a price range similar to the CLX Limited Edition. Everything is a matter of liking. My ears are very demanding I think. I listen the tweeters and listen the midrange...I think I am spoiled by ML CLX. The sound from them is so articulated, that there is no gap between the piano key board. I understand the fingers so well with them...listen to Bladimir Horowitz at Chopin Polonaise in A-flat major. Op. 53. Or Mitsuko Uchida playing Mozart concerto NO. 20, the Romance. In jazz, listen Chris Botti in Boston, here the trumpet shines in every track. or Four Play live in Cape Town. Any kind of music you can play with the CLX. Also it is easy to drive than the CLS...and put your listening pleasure at other different level. I wish too all of you, a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back