CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations. They are the best speakers I have ever owned. Mine were originally set up without the use of a sub for 2 channel. They sounded fantastic. I now use them with a jl113. It adds the little extra base without sacrificing the mid-range and highs.

Hi Ron,

Thanks... yes, they are pretty damn amazing! I feel the same way wrt the JL subs, but I got me a lot more dialing in to do (which is where a good part of the fun is anyway). BTW, I love the slave feature JL offers... makes tweaking multiple subs a lot less painful!

Cheers

YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I am really happy for you ... I am a bit unfamiliar with the CLX -- are there multiple terminals in the back for bi-amping -- or just one set? I would think with the multiple panels there might be a way to bi-amp? Not sure -just curious...
One more question... the 2 JLaudio subs (think thats what you have....is that out thru the pre-amp - and then are they daisy chained together? what do you have the frequency at currently? I would think you would get a lot of bass out of that room.....)

They look fantastic in that room - and the dialogue 7s....egads....what a fantastic setup.....

But, this thread has been fun... at least for us anyway :) Thanks for sharing - tim

Hi Tim,

Many thanks!! The CLX have just one set of terminals - no option for bi-wiring or bi-amping (at least not without some end-user tomfoolery anyway). But that's all-good IMO as I've always gravitated toward single-amp and single wire setups. I've tried bi-everything (well, not EVERYthing - but horz and vert stacked, bi and tri-wired, you name it), and I've just never found it to be a preference. To each his own I guess.

on the subs... yes, exactly as you said. The Dialogue Three has two pairs of pre-outs. I run one pair to the amps and the second pair to one of the JL112 subs (the "Master"). I then have the master connected to the "Slave" sub via a a 12 foot balanced (XLR) subwoofer cable. Makes for pretty painless tweaking. I don't have things all dialed in yet, but once I do, I'll report back with the settings that seem best for my room.

Thanks again and Cheers!

speaking about subs you might want to drop anchor on that sailboat,
A few weeks back a friend brought over his sub.

It flipped over one of my knives in a table about 15 feet away, and knocked a picture off the wall in the next room.

Hate to see you have a shipwreck

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 248
speaking about subs you might want to drop anchor on that sailboat,
A few weeks back a friend brought over his sub.

It flipped over one of my knives in a table about 15 feet away, and knocked a picture off the wall in the next room.

Hate to see you have a shipwreck

That's a pretty intimidating sharp-edged collection you have there... If the sub actually flipped one of those things over, what did the shockwave do to your spleen?

I appreciate the very humorous :) nautical safety tip. Consider the yacht dry-docked.

Cheers

And yes... while my room isn't huge, it is somewhat volumetrically plump
You have a voluptuous room ? :eek:

Congratulations on the CLXs......I think (green with envy).

Please do keep us informed if you play with room treatments.

Please do keep us informed if you play with room treatments.

or knives/hand axes - that kind of thing...:devil::devil::devil::D

Actually, the knife with the visible folding in the blade is a very nice piece of work I think.

Necropete... your CLX delivery can't be much longer? What's the latest 411?

You must be tracking it like a Russian backscatter-radar technician in eastern Siberia.

Do tell!

Attachments

• radarScreen-719485.jpg
    radarScreen-719485.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 301
hahah brilliant!
Yes guys, just confirmed today that the CLX are enroute and are expected to land in my home state on Monday. Which of course then they will call and schedule the delivery, so Im looking at mid next week. I spoke with the Shipping company several times today and asked for my shipment to be watched, tracked, cleaned, dusted off and to have whip cream on top ;) But there is that 1 week time line of who knows what could happen, but since Im living through Todd right now, Im kind of at peace.

Last edited:
Also,
My dedicated audio room is very small and will be going through some mod's over the next year or so to get it to a proper CLX size.
This weekend I will be tearing down the closet which will gain me 5 FT in Length but still the room will only be 10x19.
I plan to have the CLX at 5ft from the front wall (where the closet wall used to be) and 8" off the side walls.
Next year I plan to have the room blown out another 5-8ft major recon, which will get me 19x 16-18ft. then after that I sell the house and upgrade. heheh :rolleyes:
I know this room is not ideal for a speaker like this, but I had to buy while I could.

hahah brilliant!
Yes guys, just confirmed today that the CLX are enroute and are expected to land in my home state on Monday. Which of course then they will call and schedule the delivery, so Im looking at mid next week. I spoke with the Shipping company several times today and asked for my shipment to be watched, tracked, cleaned, dusted off and to have whip cream on top ;) But there is that 1 week time line of who knows what could happen, but since Im living through Todd right now, Im kind of at peace.

whipped cream... nice!

One thing to note when they do arrive, they are not super-easy to lift out of the boxes (especially if you draw the short straw and get stuck with the base/heavy end). The cave-drawing caricatures on the box illustrate three, uh, humans (I guess that's what they're supposed to be) holding the speaker horizontally above the coffin (sorta weirdly ritualistic now that I think about it...) anyway, they show two creatures dealing with the base end and a third handling the top. If you have ANY back issues at all, I recommend you follow the cave-drawings to the letter - or - hieroglyph in this case.

Todd, are there any sacrificial virgins in that cave drawing?

Oh I'm pretty sure all three of the "audiophiles" depicted on the box are virgins.

Reminds me of a quick funny story... remember a few posts back when I was bad-talking freight in general (I know, which post? there are so many)... the one where I mentioned we received an item for my wife and the box had water damage (though the item inside was OK). I had mentioned to that freight guy that I would probably see him again in a few days as I was expecting two very large boxes... coffin sized. He said he'd look out for them and then, without being prompted, he went on to tell me about a recent delivery in town where he helped the owner bring a very large box upstairs, but the owner wouldn't allow anyone to look inside (to check for damage or whatever). But in the end, the freight guy did get a peak and he described it (mostly with his wide eyes) as "anatomically correct". That's all he said... and I didn't ask for any further details.

Sometimes I feel like the audio fetish is a bit over the top... but I don't think any of us are even scratching the fetish surface... not even close.

Last edited:
Also,
My dedicated audio room is very small and will be going through some mod's over the next year or so to get it to a proper CLX size.
This weekend I will be tearing down the closet which will gain me 5 FT in Length but still the room will only be 10x19.
I plan to have the CLX at 5ft from the front wall (where the closet wall used to be) and 8" off the side walls.
Next year I plan to have the room blown out another 5-8ft major recon, which will get me 19x 16-18ft. then after that I sell the house and upgrade. heheh :rolleyes:
I know this room is not ideal for a speaker like this, but I had to buy while I could.

My front left speaker is only 10" off of a Sliding glass door. I have no problem with that with my McIntosh MX150 processor/room perfect. There are pictures of my set-up in the members Systems #358. CLX Stage Motif. The 12,000 spent is way less than a home remodel.

Last edited:
Hey Ron,

Well thats good to know!
The room is still a bit small but I am hoping for the best. Either way I am going to enjoy these. Nice setup by the way.

A better way to get them out of the box. back in the Apogee days they recommended after removing the top and packing material, standing the box up with the speakers still in them and walk them out. I was able to stand them up within a foot of their final resting place. Or course the only steps were up to my porch.

A better way to get them out of the box. back in the Apogee days they recommended after removing the top and packing material, standing the box up with the speakers still in them and walk them out. I was able to stand them up within a foot of their final resting place. Or course the only steps were up to my porch.

The cover lids (both top and bottom) of the coffins are thickish in that they protrude beyond the body of the box itself by a good inch anyway. If you were to stand them upright, the coffins (and contents) would inherently want to lean significantly forward... i.e. the lids don't allow for flush floor contact. If you have at least two people, it's do-able but with much caution. I considered the vertical jettison method and the thick lids had me quickly reverting back to the ML recommended sacrificial hieroglyphs.

I also briefly considered JL's recommended subwoofer deboxing method... but flipping the box upside down and dumping the contents out onto the floor seemed, I don't know, less graceful somehow.

Nothing much more scary than moving an Apogee about with no stands on. It's just plain heavy amd downright freaky - period.

Nothing much more scary than moving an Apogee about with no stands on. It's just plain heavy amd downright freaky - period.

I recall that very same psyche scarring fear when man-handling my Duetta Sigs in (and eventually back out) of the system. Terrifying!

Just catching up after several days without internet due to travel and...never mind.

Just a quick Congrats Todd on finally receiving your CLXs and getting them set up. Musical Nirvana, I am sure.

Your experience sorta reminded me of the two buzzards sitting on a dead limb, one saying to the other: "Patience, Hell! Lets go out and kill something!"

My hearty Congrats. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Just catching up after several days without internet due to travel and...never mind.

Just a quick Congrats Todd on finally receiving your CLXs and getting them set up. Musical Nirvana, I am sure.

Your experience sorta reminded me of the two buzzards sitting on a dead limb, one saying to the other: "Patience, Hell! Lets go out and kill something!"

My hearty Congrats. Enjoy!!!

Thanks Much Len! My wife often refers to me as a "buzzard"... or maybe it's "bastard"... I can never tell with her ;)

Back