CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!
Did you bring the coffins upstairs or just the speakers?
Im curious because mine are going upstairs as well.

So out of the box, the sound is amazing?

The boxes are BIG... I took the CLXs out first before lugging them skyward.

And YES... the sound right out of the gate is EASILY the best I've every heard here in this room. Absolutely amazing! The thing that I find most hard to wrap my head around immediately is how effortlessly the music comes through. It's hard to latch onto the idea that 6 foot tall speakers can just "disappear" but that's what they're doing. And the articulation is unearthly. Every string plucked, every breath nuanced , every attack/decay of every percussive event... all laid out like some delectable audio buffet (without the sneezeguard). And I'm not hyperbolizing here (well, maybe just a little)... but these things really are absolutely stunning! And that's all just out of the box without any real dialing in yet. I remember being in awe of the Summit-Xs when they were first fired up... but these things are in a whole different galaxy.

I'm going to do a little more futzing around and I'm sure the euphoria/adrenaline will taper off a bit over the next few hours, but initial impressions are obscenely positive... in the best/filthiest possible way.

Cheers

WOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown:

Did you have your subs hooked up and adjusted to the CLX?

And...what day did you say you invited us to your party? ;)

Did you have your subs hooked up and adjusted to the CLX?

And...what day did you say you invited us to your party? ;)

I switched the subs off initially and was surprised at how satisfyingly "present" the bass sounded... and again, this is right out of the box. I then switched the subs on and yeah, there's an improvement IMO, but not a huge delta in performance, but still, better with the subs. I still need to dial things in more... probably take some time before things are truly blended.

Every day is a party here now :) and anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to contact me to arrange a visit.

Cheers

The Great State O'Maine sounds like the place to be right now. Maple CLX's, I love Martin Logans in Maple. hahaha... I have maple Spires and maple Vistas. :) I just need a bigger house so I can rock some maple CLX's!

So glad NOT to hear another horror story about shipping.

Satch

Congrats on the new twins, I hope they bring you years of sonic bliss !!!

They look like they always have been there. I am sure you will enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Just wondering, Why did they have to make a stop in Chicago instead of being shipped direct to you?

Thanks again folks for all the congrats. I feel like this is a team win more than anything :)

I switched the system on again this morning, selected Boccherini's Symphonies by the London Mozart Players (Chandos 10604)... yep - still awesome! It wasn't all just a nocturnal emission after all. ;) Next a little Keb Mo, just to change things up a bit.

Also, the wildly controversial silver ICs were shipped out yesterday... should see them in a day or two and will report back on impressions - impressions as unfiltered as the cables themselves are advertised to be.

Cheers

Just wondering, Why did they have to make a stop in Chicago instead of being shipped direct to you?

I asked my dealer the same question back in November... "why not just have ML drop ship?"... he said it's ML policy to always ship to the dealer first - drop ship is verboten. Heck, what's 7 weeks between friends, right? :rolleyes:

I asked my dealer the same question back in November... "why not just have ML drop ship?"... he said it's ML policy to always ship to the dealer first

Yes, I was told the same thing from my dealer. ML will only ship to the dealer because of too many claims/ issues with home drops.

I can understand the rationale behind shipping to the dealer, the dealer is usually local to the customer, and if the speakers get damaged getting to the dealer, it has to be dealt with by the dealer, not the customer. Presumably the dealer can deliver without any damage occurring. And of course, no exceptions to the policy.

That and I am sure they do not want dealers from other parts of the country drop shipping into another dealers territory. That way they supposedly protect the dealer network however that does not stop a dealer from receiving it in Chicago and selling it outside his territory he will just have to pay the freight from his shop or have his customer pay it

Todd,

What brand / model silver cable did you buy?

Also, make sure you give them time to break in before making any judgments.

My sense is this silver is bright phenomena all started with Siltech and the rumor mill took over.

GG

Next a little Keb Mo, just to change things up a bit.

If you're talkin' "Peace - Back By Popular Demand" - Kessler's favourite - well that's just gonna sound awesome by default.;) Try some Napalm Death, for heaven's sake!:) Well, maybe not.

I heard the CLX in a huge room - and was just so impressed by their ability to fill it effortlessly. You have some space and should be experiencing the same. Better in fact as you have some subs to fill them out with.

Rock on, dude:rocker:

Congratulations. They are the best speakers I have ever owned. Mine were originally set up without the use of a sub for 2 channel. They sounded fantastic. I now use them with a jl113. It adds the little extra base without sacrificing the mid-range and highs.

Todd,

What brand / model silver cable did you buy?

Also, make sure you give them time to break in before making any judgments.

My sense is this silver is bright phenomena all started with Siltech and the rumor mill took over.

GG

Hi Gordon,

I bought the El Chupacabra ICs from White Zombie Audio... I know, right?

I spoke to Tom at WZA and was impressed with his take on why he chose silver as well as his specific design/construction philosophy. For the money spent, I won't be heart-broken if they're mediocre (or worse), but I have reasonably high hopes that they'll sound just fine (perhaps even great) after a decent break-in period.

Cheers

YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I am really happy for you ... I am a bit unfamiliar with the CLX -- are there multiple terminals in the back for bi-amping -- or just one set? I would think with the multiple panels there might be a way to bi-amp? Not sure -just curious...
One more question... the 2 JLaudio subs (think thats what you have....is that out thru the pre-amp - and then are they daisy chained together? what do you have the frequency at currently? I would think you would get a lot of bass out of that room.....)

They look fantastic in that room - and the dialogue 7s....egads....what a fantastic setup.....

But, this thread has been fun... at least for us anyway :) Thanks for sharing - tim

Last edited:
If you're talkin' "Peace - Back By Popular Demand" - Kessler's favourite - well that's just gonna sound awesome by default.;) Try some Napalm Death, for heaven's sake!:) Well, maybe not.

I heard the CLX in a huge room - and was just so impressed by their ability to fill it effortlessly. You have some space and should be experiencing the same. Better in fact as you have some subs to fill them out with.

Rock on, dude:rocker:

I cued up Keb Mo's "The Door" ... the guy is non-negotiably brilliant! I went with a good friend, maybe three years back now, to see Keb at a local theater (smallish venue, maybe 200 people) and it was easily one of the best live musical performances I've had the privilege of attending in a long, long time. About the only other session I can recall that even came close was when I caught Colin Hay last year at another local venue... just him and his guitars (and his little nymphlike wife with some occasional accompaniment). That's a show (Hay) I very highly recommend to anyone and everyone at anytime anywhere... anyway, where was I? Oh, on the death metal thing... my son has a bit of a collection (of course mostly compressed MP3 on his iPod), but maybe I'll slowly wade into those waters via some Nickleback or Hoobestank... you know, something more prognathically aristocratic to begin with... before diving all the way in with Napalm etc :D

And yes... while my room isn't huge, it is somewhat volumetrically plump and the CLXs have absolutely no problem generating an incredible sonic presentation - handed to my ears with love and care, as if on a satin pillow. (OK, that's borderline insane, sorry)

I'm guessing the KT88s under the hood (bonnet) are partially responsible as well ;)

Cheers

Back