CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why, yes that is a tat on my hand, Done by none other than Paul Booth. Google the name.
Damn snow! just checked the tracking # and it says on delivery dock!
In the words of Stewie, Blast!

I surfed Paul Booth... otherworldy would be putting it lightly.

When exploring Booth's work, I found this photo of some hapless bespectacled soul in extreme anguish and can only assume he's listening to Apogees - Someone must have photoshopped out the blood trickling from his ears. ;)

Attachments

• imagesCA5CFC2J.jpg
    imagesCA5CFC2J.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 244
ha-ha, yea!
I used to be buddies with Paul years ago when I was a Drummer for hire.
I played the NYC circuit every weekend then hit Europe for a few years...
I met that guy in the picture, yea he mentioned something about a bad day with Apogees:p
Ahhhh.... the good ol days before a career...hehe. but now I can afford CLX! :D

No - he's just spent the day in Detroit, and knows American is broken. He's miffed. Badly. He couldn't find a single Apogee in the rubble. Oddly, there was lots of spent mylar around...:D

No - he's just spent the day in Detroit, and knows American is broken. He's miffed. Badly. He couldn't find a single Apogee in the rubble. Oddly, there was lots of spent mylar around...:D

Hey Guys.... jocularity aside for the moment, I think we can all agree that whether it be Apogees of CLXs, they both very much excel at speed, articulation, and detail, yes? To that end, I humbly recommend this live recording of Tommy Emmanuel. Check out the samples on Amazon if you don't already own this. The guy is Hercules unchained (on a 6-string). Plenty of snap and crackle for the panels... fretwork transients and harmonics galore. One of my favs.

Cheers

Attachments

• 41I4087TazL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41I4087TazL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 235
Todd , I thank you for a well thought out complete review .

I am now confident that I will be ordering the WFS Dac for sure.

I need to speak to the folks at Olive one last time and your input has addressed a lot of my concerns.

I appreciate the contributions you have made to this site and I enjoy the humorous style of your posts.

I hope you enjoy your new COHERANCE it sounds like you have your system almost where you want it congrats.

Larry

Hi Larry,

So what's the 411 on these potential purchases? Did you pull the DAC2 trigger? I'm still unreservedly in love with mine. What about the Olive? Did you end up calling Matt (at Olive) for any final q&a? Even with it's few idiosyncrasies and feature failures, I still can't get over the wonderful convenience of operation (via iPhone) and it's readiness to decode virtually every single FLAC file I've flung at it. I do not regret the purchase and see this component remaining in the line-up for quite some time to come.

Cheers

Hey Guys.... jocularity aside for the moment, I think we can all agree that whether it be Apogees of CLXs, they both very much excel at speed, articulation, and detail, yes? To that end, I humbly recommend this live recording of Tommy Emmanuel. Check out the samples on Amazon if you don't already own this. The guy is Hercules unchained (on a 6-string). Plenty of snap and crackle for the panels... fretwork transients and harmonics galore. One of my favs.

Cheers

In the interests of planar peace it's playng via Spotify as I search for 2nd hand Accuphase powerhouses and room treatments:D

as I search for 2nd hand Accuphase powerhouses and room treatments:D

Keep us posted on both... amps are like candy, always fun to consume... and on treatments, I've spent more than a few cranial-cycles lately on that concept (and how I might implement). There are a few other threads where planar backwave pros/cons are being discussed. Good stuff.

Cheers

Hi Larry,

So what's the 411 on these potential purchases? Did you pull the DAC2 trigger? I'm still unreservedly in love with mine. What about the Olive? Did you end up calling Matt (at Olive) for any final q&a? Even with it's few idiosyncrasies and feature failures, I still can't get over the wonderful convenience of operation (via iPhone) and it's readiness to decode virtually every single FLAC file I've flung at it. I do not regret the purchase and see this component remaining in the line-up for quite some time to come.

Cheers

Todd , thanks for asking I have decided that I am definitely going for the DAC2
I have not had an opportunity to call Olive yet a week of branch 2011 budgeting
I am 90% sure that is the way to go for me I will most likely have both on order by Friday:D
I appreciate the help I will keep you posted as I incorporate these into my system

Cheers
Hi Todd,
If you like guitar work you may want to check out Al DiMeola. I have many of his cd's and he is my favorite. Try Elegant Gypsy. I took Necropete to see him and he will tell you what he thought as well. His music has a lot of percussion as well and will get your speakers singing:music:

Best,
Bob

Hi Todd,
If you like guitar work you may want to check out Al DiMeola. I have many of his cd's and he is my favorite. Try Elegant Gypsy. I took Necropete to see him and he will tell you what he thought as well. His music has a lot of percussion as well and will get your speakers singing:music:

Best,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try elegant gypsy... I could use a little more elegance in my life. Coincidentally, this is one of the first SACDs (below) I ever purchased - back when BestBuy starting selling them years ago, oddly, from a small out-of-the-way rack over by a maintenance door... where few shoppers ever dared venture... and they were clearly mispriced at around $12 a disc. I bought as many as I could. Got some great Mahler, Mozart, Wagner, and a few others too. OK, now I'm starting to sound like my wife... bragging about my incredible shopping finds. Uhg and sorry.

Cheers

Attachments

• 519H1K9RNBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    519H1K9RNBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 210
Hi Todd,
If you like guitar work you may want to check out Al DiMeola. I have many of his cd's and he is my favorite. Try Elegant Gypsy. I took Necropete to see him and he will tell you what he thought as well.

Al Di Meola has been one of my favorite artists for years, his guitar work is amazing and he always has top notch musicians playing with him, the gig I went to with necropop was amazing. He plays in CT every year, you should make it down one time.

Closet Gone

BobF came over today and removed the dreaded closet!
Sheetrock and paint still needs to be done but I just gained 5FT to the audio room, thank you very much Pop!

I also just installed the CLX Filter into the sub. There is one broken tab on one of the grills, hope it doesnt vibrate...:(

Attachments

• closet_gone.jpg
    closet_gone.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CLX_filter.jpg
    CLX_filter.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 203
BobF came over today and removed the dreaded closet!
Sheetrock and paint still needs to be done but I just gained 5FT to the audio room, thank you very much Pop!

I also just installed the CLX Filter into the sub. There is one broken tab on one of the grills, hope it doesnt vibrate...:(

I can almost smell the fun! What's your plan when you finally take delivery? Will you be able to set them up right away or keep them cocooned until you're 100% done with the remodel? Sorry to hear about the tab. Super-glue maybe?

Hahaha. I love it. They even diss Detroit in England. I thought this guy was just sick of hearing about the 'royal wedding'.

I can almost smell the fun! What's your plan when you finally take delivery? Will you be able to set them up right away or keep them cocooned until you're 100% done with the remodel? Sorry to hear about the tab. Super-glue maybe?

yes! BobF came over again today and the room is now sheet rocked and taped, just needs the final sanding and paint. So since we are this close to having the room done, I will accept the CLX (if undamaged) set them up on the other side of the room and start breaking them them in until we finish the closet paint/sanding in the next 2 weeks.
The part that is broken is replaceable, so I will just get a new one.

Uggghhh. You are going to sand Sheetrock with CLXs in the room? DUST!!

One thing I have done and you can take it or leave it. I have taken a 12" 2x4 and wrapped a wash cloth around it. I get a bucket of water and clean off the rag and continue to rub back and forth with the cloth wrapped wood. It melts the mud and the dust is trapped in the bucket. Just a thought. It works better for me than sanding - but I'm no expert!!!

One thing I have done and you can take it or leave it. I have taken a 12" 2x4 and wrapped a wash cloth around it. I get a bucket of water and clean off the rag and continue to rub back and forth with the cloth wrapped wood. It melts the mud and the dust is trapped in the bucket. Just a thought. It works better for me than sanding - but I'm no expert!!!

along with trying to keep dust down I suppose the plastic shipping sleeves could just remain on during break-in...

QUOTE]

Yea, Ive thought about this, Most likely I will either seal the CLX with the covers and then the plastic and then seal that side of the room with painters plastic and tape and I also have an air purifier in there. Or I will just move them out of the room when the work is done, that seems to be the safest choice. hmmmm...

Check if your local tool rental has a Porter Cable 7800 drywall sander. It sands and vacuums at the same time.

Last edited:
Now that is an option. Thanks for the advice!

Damn, just called the freight company, if things keep going the way they are I wont get these till the end of the week!
They are still on the delivery dock in New Jersey 2 hours from me. They are set to move to another New Jersey location today, that location will call me to schedule the delivery. Now we have that big snow storm coming in tomorrow night...uhggg...Unfortunatley I cannot break away from my job to go pick these up in Jersey.

Latest posts

Back