CLX ART - risks of buying used?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpaulyn

Reaction score
Hello to forum members.

I’m hoping to get some opinion on whether it may get be a good idea or not for me to go ahead with purchase of a used CLX ART. I am considering upgrading from Montis.

My concern is with expected panel longevity, as the original owner had purchased it end of 2012. Assuming it was well looked after, would it be likely to have some years of life before service might be required?

Thank you.

First off....Welcome !

As to your last question, should have plenty of years left.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Dave. Makes me feel better about upgrading from my Montis.

You are really going to like the CLX. I had Summit X’s and it was like from going backwards to going forward in a rocket. Obviously subs will be needed some say not but I certainly think they are essential.

GW1800 - thanks. Right now I’m vacillating between buying used CLX ART or used ESL 15A. Same price. Decisions decisions.

I listen to primarily classical and opera.

Great forum. Thanks to all

Dimitri

GW1800 - thanks. Right now I’m vacillating between buying used CLX ART or used ESL 15A. Same price. Decisions decisions.

I listen to primarily classical and opera.

Great forum. Thanks to all

Dimitri

If this helps any. I have had two totally separate people come to my place like a year apart with the exact same question. They heard the CLX's at my place first and the 15's at Shawn's like an 1 1/2 hour later. Both within a few minutes decided on the CLX's and both are real happy with their choices.

Also curious why a pair of 15's are up used already? Do you know what the seller is replacing them with?

Last edited:
Hi GW1800. Yes, I’m gravitating towards CLX ART.

Consideration is: CLS ART is 6 years old; 15A is two years old (both same price).

Oh my - I am seriously conflicted. Looking to make a purchase next week!

As I look at his seller history, the 15A seller appears to be a serial upgrader - and a seems a really nice guy when I spoke with him - and in a position to try different components. I can get it for equivalent of USD 12,000.

I’m starting a new thread: buying used: CLX ART 6 years old vs 15A 2 years old

I've had my CLX ART for several years (since 12/2013), and they are the most unfussy speaker ever for electrostatic panels. The sound is simply divine where it really matters, upper bass on up. Yes, I use 2 x BF212 subs but that won't add the dynamic driver SLAM. I find the lack of ultimate (it isn't near terrible) easy to compromise as everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING else, is so darn good for the price. Listen to these speakers awhile and then try anything else, half the sound seems stuck in time before it hits your ear. These speakers just do it right at an incredible price. Oh, go to the CLX ART product page and click on the reviews, yes, I'm the rower30 that wrote that review (Hemmingway is certainly still safe) and I read it again after someone mentioned it was posted, and I still agree 100% with what I said after all these years.

The CLX are played A LOT, and show zero issues at all. I keep trying to "replace them" but it has been fruitless. Maybe the Persona 9H, but I'd need to see if the added mid bass punch and dynamics cones are good for mess up the incredible vocal rightness of the CLX. People that come over are stunned when I flick the CLX on. They expect glassy, thin and strident sound as that's the party line. No, you get rich, uniform and fast as lightening edge detail that solidifies the sound stage like no other. What box? Just a wall of sound in proper perspective.

To that end, the soundstage, these are ONE PERSON speakers to hear the magic. No big deal as this is my set-up. But it is a point. To maximize the soundstage, I use ZERO toe in after several other set-ups. So straight across and eight feet apart from the inner edges. I sit 11 feet back and Peter Paul and Mary sound like a vocal orgy several feet to the side of each speaker! If you truly cherish the sound of the human voice and acoustics you KNOW the sound of go listen to the CLX. A properly treated used pair? OMG yes.

[email protected]

With any used ML purchase, factor in the cost of new panels. You may not need them now or for a long time. Good luck to you - but you need to factor in that cost. You don't know how they've been treated.

I’m starting a new thread: buying used: CLX ART 6 years old vs 15A 2 years old

Haha. Why? I think you got your answer!! Lol. So how big is your room? This is more important with CLX than the 15a I think. I have a tendency to go with best speaker regardless. I have Maggie 20.7s and love them to death.

My monolith III panels are 22 years old and still sound great. If well taken care of should get 20+ years from a panel.

A year or so ago there was a guy just North of Montreal who had a pair of CLX Art advertised at CAD$23K, as he wanted to upgrade to Neoliths. I watched in despair (could not afford them, but I’m close enough to rent a truck and pick them up) as they steadily dropped in price until they sold at $12K!

Back