CLSIIZs need power!New 600 watt amp makes speakers really sound good!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan17

Reaction score
I was running my CLSIIZs with a 300WPC SDS-470C from CLASSDAUDIO,and it sounded better than many other 300 watt per channel transistor amps.Decided to try a bridged 4 channel amp ,also by CLASSDAUDIO that delivers 600W into 8 and 1200W into 4 ohms.Sound is now much fuller,owing to extended frequency response.

Although I once attended an audition with 2 Kondo Ongakus hooked to a 2z, power is key with the CLS2z. These single ended tubes showed an impressive performance even with 4x27 watts, but I would not recommend this. Under these conditions I would be scared by tube lifetime. Those 211s are really expensive....

I achieved the biggest step forward by bi-amping my CLS2z with 2 professional Tannoy TA600 stereo amps. 300W at 8 ohms each. Best performance I ever had im my listening room.

Johann

I achieved the biggest step forward by bi-amping my CLS2z with 2 professional Tannoy TA600 stereo amps. 300W at 8 ohms each. Best performance I ever had im my listening room.

Johann

I think you meant you used two amps, each in bridged mode (600w @8Ohms) correct?

One cannot bi-amp a single panel ;)

To hear the best a CLS can do, I'd recommend a pair of Sanders ESL Monoblock amps, those will deliver the current needed to really move those big panels.

I think you meant you used two amps, each in bridged mode (600w @8Ohms) correct?
One cannot bi-amp a single panel

Oh yes, its definitely possible to bi-amp a CLS2z. For making the CLS2 an easier load, there are 2 step-up transformers and even a crossover board. By removing 2 jumper wires and providing a second set of binding posts (or soldering speaker cables directly to the board) you will be able to bi-wire and even bi-amp a CLS2z. Got detailed instructions from ML when I did this modification. Worked fine for several years. A very big improvement !

Johann

Could you go into a bit more detail as to how this works. With 3 wires to the panels one to each sator and one to the mylar I don't understand how the biamp theory is possible.

But then there are any number of things I don't understand.

Could you go into a bit more detail as to how this works. With 3 wires to the panels one to each sator and one to the mylar I don't understand how the biamp theory is possible. But then there are any number of things I don't understand.

As I already wrote, the CLS2z has 2 step up transformers and a frequency crossover board. Although the panel itself is connected with those 3 wires mentioned, both transformers are suplied with different signals after the crossover. This is for impedance linearisation. You'll find on the backside of the crossover board 2 wire jumpers that can be removed. The crossover board also provides in total 4 small holes prepared to solder the ends of both speaker cables. So you can connect 4 binding posts or the bare ends of the double speaker cables.

Be assured this works, as I did it in accordance with Jim Power!

Johann

As I already wrote, the CLS2z has 2 step up transformers and a frequency crossover board. Although the panel itself is connected with those 3 wires mentioned, both transformers are suplied with different signals after the crossover. This is for impedance linearisation. You'll find on the backside of the crossover board 2 wire jumpers that can be removed. The crossover board also provides in total 4 small holes prepared to solder the ends of both speaker cables. So you can connect 4 binding posts or the bare ends of the double speaker cables.

Be assured this works, as I did it in accordance with Jim Power!

Johann

I got this back when I had CLSs....might be helpful...you can see the wire 'jumpers' (the two vertical wires on the left of the schematic). Remove those and the two inputs are now seperate.

CLS2z.jpg

Last edited:
Back