CLSII amp possibilities....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadof4

Reaction score
Hi again. I am trying to decide on a proper amplification setup for a recently acquired pair of CLSIIs. (Based on their serial number they were built in 1988). I went to a local audio shop today and much to my dismay they said that several of the amps I thought would be solid choices, VTL and other tube amps, would be inadequate. While I understand somewhat the challenges the CLS presents, namely the low impedence, I am at a loss as to why this would relegate tubes to the sideline, especially when I see the systems of so many here! Anyone and everyone, help me out! What is the wattage I need? Amps to avoid? An audiogon classified that is local has an Aragon 4004. Is this a solid choice? Thanks ahead of time. I await your wisdom!!:bowdown:

Currently I'm using a Threshold Stasis S550e with great success with my Original CLS speakers. I've heard Krell with Martin Logans many, many times and it's always a great combination. A nice big Krell would probably do nicely

As MrLowrey said. CLS need a HIGH current amp. I run Krell and love it. Many will say other .
What ever you choose make sure its stable to at least 2 ohm better 1 . This I can tell you the CLS with the right set up will blow 95% of what is out today !

OH YEAH GET THEM ON STANDS ! It is the single biggest improvement in sound for the CLS

An audiogon classified that is local has an Aragon 4004. Is this a solid choice?

yep, one of the 'bargin powerhouses' of the last fifteen years.

With regards to your local shop saying tube amplification won't work ????
if that statement was made 'carte blanche' then get away from those idiots as fast as you can for there are plenty of tube choices available that would do nicely, including VTL !

A few that come to mind are from the likes of ARC, BAT, CJ, Rouge, Mac, to name but a few. Keep in mind tube amplification may not be YOUR ticket to heaven but it is for alot of us !

On the SS front, depending on your budget, I've heard wonderfull music from CLS's being driven by a Plinius SA-102. Also many members of this forum swear by the Sunfire stuff for their performance to cost ratio.

Read the many members systems with CLS's for more insight, good luck !

As both of my CLS bretheren above have said, a good quality, high current amp is best with the CLS. I'm running a Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200, but either of the amps they have mentioned seem to work well too, as I suspect would the Aragon you had mentioned.

BTW, there is absolutely no reason why a good tube amp wouldn't pair well with the CLS (some would say it is the absolute best type amp for the CLS), again, provided it can deliver sufficient current and is of high enough wattage. I would think a 40 watt tube amp might run out of gas, but a 100 watt tube amp would be an entirely different story. There are of course exceptions in both cases.

Absolute best scenario is to be able to bring it home and hook it up for an evaluation.

I have a Aragon 2004 I used with my SL3's for a quite a few years. I was always very happy with the sound and it had no problem driving them.
A couple of years ago I decided to see what tubes sounded like and bought a pair of ARC 120 Classics and used them with the SL3's until I purchased CLSIIz's. I have since changed to another ARC amp but still use the 2004 for HT with the CLS's.
For 2 channel music listening I prefer tubes with the SL3's and CLS's in my system.

For the cost of the 4004 that is a great amp and should be good match with your CLS's.

Let us know what direction you decide to go.

Nice to see more CLS's on the forum

Thanks for the help! I have a ....

get together planned for the individual that has the 4004 for later this week. I presently am letting the speakers get back into listening mode after what appears to have been a long period of little usage. They came with an NAD 2600A that has them loafing along at low output, just playing the local jazz station using the 4300 monitor series tuner and adjusting sound level with the dials on the amp. If I don't hear much of a difference with the Aragon I could always stay with the NAD. We have a new baby, 3 months as of tomorrow so any listening is pretty easy to take:music: BTW: baby likes the stats! Now if I can just get Mom to agree. I told her when I was going to look/buy..."these are big" ....at least I have em in the house!:D

Im with MiTT. The tube amp thing is a case by case basis. You'll know the minute you hook it up. You will either have some high frequency extension and bass control or you won't. It's that simple.

Another good amp in the tube side of things are the Prima Luna Monoblocks...

They have a 2 ohm tap!

Good luck on the hunt.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back