CLS placement doubt

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radioman

Reaction score
Hi to everyone
now i'm listenin with sl3 and no placement problem in room.
but with CLS? the right corner seems critical for CLS'size?
what's your opinion?
thanks
IMAG0034.jpg

Hello radioman.

The SL3 in the picture above seems to be in very good condition. Very impressive and futuristic
looking stereo power amp. The SL3, subjectively speaking, need a high quality and powerful
amp to sound their best. Looks like you have got this area covered well. i would advise you
against keeping a preamplifier inside the beautiful wood cabinet though. Amplifiiers need
ventilation. I know you know about space for heat dissipation.

Narrowing my response to the issue of CLS placement. I have the CLS 1 and many thanks
to TomDac and C.A.P. for their help in bringing to the foreground info. needed to precisely
set-up the CLS inside my listening room.

I have no idea of the dimensions of the room in which you have placed the CLS. However,
first, straighten up to 90 degrees the CLS. No back tilt whatsoever. Second, A very slight
3 to 5 degree toe-in. Third, in my room the CLS is placed forward one third of the length
of the room into the room. Fourth, keep equipment table minimum 3 feet behind the
horizontal line joining the front panel of the two CLS.

Fifth, keep the CLS away from the side wall and close together but not too close together.
With regard to the this last point i performed a small calculation which i will now explain.

Step 1: Measure the horizontal line distance of the line which is parallel to the front and
back wall. This distance is from the left to right wall. Denote X.

Step 2: Measure the base of the CLS panel and multiply by 2. Denote Y.

Step 3: Subtract Y from X. Denote Z.

Step 4 : Divide Z by 4. Denote D.

This calculated distance D is the in my case the ideal distance of the CLS outer edge
from the side wall. Placing each CLS D distance away from the side wall gives 2 D
distance between them. 4D + Y = X.

Conclusion:
Now Both CLS have equal room to breathe in the room.
If the right CLS seems critical then keep toe-in and location as described above.
Subjectively speaking, epecially due to age of CLS 1 optimum positioning of the CLS
in the room is very very critical if amazing sound is desired.

Last edited:
Hi Rah
and thanks for your suggestions.
i've made 2 cartoon forms with cls size, and result is that right cls would be too near to library.
at the moment i must stop cls'dream...

Can you push the entire setup to the left a bit? This would give you some room away from the bookshelf and you could have enough room for the CLS.

no I can't, 'cause there is VPR screen on the ceiling centering with system.
only thing I can do is move library on the back wall.
the distance will be about 27" from right wall and 22 from back library.
is it enough?

I think you will get good sound from your system. The more room the better. What you can do is to play some music and start pulling the speakers out in 6 inch increments and you should be able to see what performance vs distance benefits you get. Then you can settle on something that gives good performance yet will be "doable" in terms of room aesthetics.

Back