CLS and Linn LK 280/Spark?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArneW

Reaction score
My CLS'es (early CLS I model) have been sitting in my parents' attic for some years - I switched to "normal" loudspeakers for a while since I didn't want my toddlers to poke holes in the diaphragm with a pencil or sth. I now want to bring the CLS magic back to our living room, but do no longer have a dedicated amp for them.

The only one that I still have which may have enough power is a Linn LK 280 stereo power amp with the corresponding Spark PSU.

A weird combination, I know (I searched the web but no one seems to drive ML speakers with Linn electronics.)

Should I look for a more powerful modern amp or will the vintage Linn do? Any opinions welcome.

Arne

P.S. I did drive the CLS with VTL Triode amps in the past, but we have moved since and our actual living room has around 650 sq. ft. so an amp with only 25 or 30 wpc is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
The original CLS1 was flippin awesome in regards to transparency.

That encounter sold me on the ML's.

Had the 2A's and never felt they were the equal.

To your question, buy as much high current SS power, that can handle the impedance load, as you can afford.

The Sanders amp is a good place to start since it was designed with stats and impedance issues in mind.

What's the specs on the Linn amp?

GG

PS Just read a couple of reviews on the amp. Try it but, IMHO, you would be much better served with a higher powered amp.

Last edited:
Back