classical Chinese music?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefchowmein

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but I though I might ask anyways.
Not sure if anyone can actually recommend any classical Chinese music? Especially with classical Chinese instruments?
I picked up a couple from the local Chinese book store. But with CD title Tea drinking Chinese Music, it makes me question the quality of the recording, though it does sound pretty good. Just curious if there are any reference level cd of this genre so I know what to compare to.

I only have one "Voice of Cloud" by Yun Su. It sounds great on my system, clear as a bell. And yes Yun Su has the voice of a cloud.

Have you tried any soundtracks? The soundtrack from house of flying daggers and crouching tiger hidden dragon are excellent. I can listen for hours. I would also look into picking up some Yo Yo Ma. The man is a genius with a cello.

Though using a traditional orchestra, Wu's "Little Sisters of the Grasslands" features the Pipa as the solo instrument. I don't know if it is on CD however. Philips 9500 692 BSO cond. by Ozawa with Liu Teh-Hai, Pipa.

Soundtracks are a good idea. Didn't even think of that.

I recently heard the Twelve girls band. They just had a concert in the Bay Area not too long ago.
In case anyone is interested here is the wiki for the band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Girls_Band

But the music was a little too fusion for me. I still like the classical Chinese music especially with the Guzheng (Zither) instrument better. It really brings out the Martin Logans.

Latest posts

Back