Clarity vs. Scenario vs. Aerius i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Skyline

How do these three MLs compare both sonically and reliability wise? If you had to choose one, which would you prefer? The Aerius i seems to be the best performer of the bunch but might not be as reliable since it's a bit odler than the rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-David

I have owned the Scenario and now own the Clarity..

As much as I loved the Scenario's, the Clarity's were a significant ungrade in a number of respects: With the Scenarios, there was a very tight sweet spot no matter where I positioned the speakers. The Clarity's provide a wider soundstage and better, richer, dynamics in the mid's and high's. When I'm walking around, I turn on the NAC's to fill the room. For any critical listening, the NAC's are off. This is definitely a nice option. The Clarity's also provide tighter bass and are not as demanding on the amp. The fans in my Rotel reciever almost always seemed to come on with the Scenario and rarely come on with the Clarity's. For me, the Clarity's were a significant upgrade from the Scenario's and I never looked back. (Thought, from the front, I liked the looks of the Scenario much better)

From a bass perspective, both speakers are lacking. They will require some sort of subwoffer and I finally broke down this weekend and got the. I'll post later on this.

Given what I have seen on this forum and talking to other Martin logan owners, I would not worry about reliability nor the longevity of Martin Logan's. If you can go for the Aerius i's (since they're i series, they are relatively new), I would go for them. I had a chance to audition them years ago but could not afford them. They were, still are, quite an incredible speaker.

I own (4) Scenarios and use them in conjunction with a Depth sub and a Cinema center in my HT setup. I agree with Mark the Scenario have a very small sweet spot. If I shift my head one inch it can throw the imaging off center. Also the Scenario will need to be coupled with a good Sub. The bass out of the Scenario is inadequate for good 2 channel enjoyment. On a positive note the Scenarios can be had for as little as $900.00. This is a great buy in my opinion. Again for my little condo this is more that enough. When I get a bigger place I will get bigger MLs.

Last edited:
Clarity...

However, I did hear Cherian's Scenarios and they sounded very good also! They had the typical ML open, boxless sound.

Joey

I'd go the Aerius - provided the panel has been replaced recently, or that you can factor panel replacement into the cost should it be necessary.

Failing this, the Clarity - which should give a more extended top end but possibly not as refined (to my ears anyway).

Have not heard the Scenarios, but they would be my last choice.

How goes the search, David?

Joey :musicnote:

I've been looking and I think I'm going to sin and just purchase a pair of regular dynamic speakers until I can afford to build a rig around a higher end pair of MLs, either the Claritys or something higher, anything less seems to have too many problems with either panel replacement & reliabillity or SQ. :banghead: I've been looking into the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 floorstanders and they look like they might be able to hold me up until I can afford a full esl system.

I've been looking and I think I'm going to sin and just purchase a pair of regular dynamic speakers until I can afford to build a rig around a higher end pair of MLs, either the Claritys or something higher, anything less seems to have too many problems with either panel replacement & reliabillity or SQ. :banghead: I've been looking into the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 floorstanders and they look like they might be able to hold me up until I can afford a full esl system.

I would say buying a set of ML's off ebay or Audiogon will cost you very little compared to new, they will more than likely be FINE and NOT need a panel replaced, and you will be able to sell them in the future for what you paid for them. They are a decent audio investment when bought used. I have Aerius i's that still sound GREAT, take up little room, and I think you can get a set of those for right around $1000. You will be able to REALLY enjoy some great sound and still sell them for more than $750! You just can't beat that.

Honestly, I got a pair of SL3s from a guy that took IMMACULATE care of them and an extra set of panels for $1500.

I can understand where you are coming from though. I was very concerned about buying used but once I walked into his place and saw a SubZero refrigerator and how everything was perfect I realized that he took extremely good care of them.

I realize you're in a somewhat different situation but I would not give up on them. Perhaps you can find someone here *cough*Joey*cough* that is going to upgrade and get a pair from them. :D

Buying my reQuests used was a similar experience. I walked into this guy's house and it was pretty sweet! Everything was in it's place and he had some UBER high end equipment including Krell monoblocks, some gi-normous cables, a turntable system that looked like it came from the future and a TacT system. I immediately knew this guy takes good care of his personal belongings and I had no qualms about buying his speakers.

With that being said, I don't think I would EVER purchase used MartinLogans without seeing and hearing them first, unless it was a fellow member of our club.

Buying my reQuests used was a similar experience. I walked into this guy's house and it was pretty sweet! Everything was in it's place and he had some UBER high end equipment including Krell monoblocks, some gi-normous cables, a turntable system that looked like it came from the future and a TacT system. I immediately knew this guy takes good care of his personal belongings and I had no qualms about buying his speakers.

With that being said, I don't think I would EVER purchase used MartinLogans without seeing and hearing them first, unless it was a fellow member of our club.

Other than my bought new Ascent's, and Descent, all my ML stuff was second hand and I have to say I can't complain about any of it! All of it was great! Maybe I just got lucky, but that is Cinema, Script, Aerius i, Theater, AND the big dog...PRODIGY! The arrival of the Prodigy was something...they had to be sent by truck on a pallet in three HUGE boxes! Crazy!

Anyone have some used MBL 101e's? Cheap?! :D

Count me Lucky AND Greatful!

We got out Aerius i's used as well in 1999 for $1400, OMB. The rail was cracked, but frankly, I didn't care. I wanted a set of MLs! Dammit! :rocker:

After 7 years, they're still awesome. When I started dating my now wife, she commented the speakers were so clear, she had to listen in the wake of the sweet spot because the sound was so overwhelming. :D A bit harsh, sure, but oh the clarity.

Don't be afraid of looking second hand. Ask the usual questions: why are you selling, OMB, associated equipment, stat power down, surge protection, etc. People generally aren't good liars. So if it smells fishy, it is and move on. If the responses sound perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find something in Houston, I'll be happy to go look at them for you and take pics.

Back