CJ, Krell or?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cherian, welcome to the musical magic of tubes. I have always advocated that if you want a great introduction to the sound of tubes the place to start is at the preamp.

Enjoy re-doiscovering your music collection my friend!

Cherian, Congrats ! I too concur with both Jeff's !! for I was a proud owner of the PV-10 before my move to ARC. One thought though to keep in mind..... depending on the build date it could be getting close to twenty years old, so cap replacement / updating might not be to far away ?

I like the CJ sound so much I have a 6 year old PV14L pre on its way. I will be selling the PV10AL on e-bay next week. I have read some very good things about the PV14L. I can not wait till it gets here. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get it.

Cherian, I thought you'd probably prefer the tubed unit over the SS. Preamp tubes usually do not last over 5000 or so hours, so be prepared to retube. I think it is worth the hassle and preamp tubes aren't that pricey unless you go NOS.

Jeff I covet your Premier 17LS. That is one good looking pre. I bet it sounds awesome.

The cost of new tubes is not that bad seeing I have spent $2,100.00 on 3 pre amps.

Cherian, I thought you'd probably prefer the tubed unit over the SS. Preamp tubes usually do not last over 5000 or so hours, so be prepared to retube. I think it is worth the hassle and preamp tubes aren't that pricey unless you go NOS.

I figured he'd like tubes.... he's the one who got me hooked on these glass domes in the first place.

Whuduthunkit?

:)

I will keep one CJ SS (PFR) pre and one CJ tube (PV14L) pre. No need to have two tube pre so the PV10AL must go.

You sell all three and find a used 17LS2 :D

Just a thought.

Actually I have friend who has the PVL14 and really likes it and he could have his choice of any of the CJ stuff since he works in a store that sells it. He got a great deal on the CJ because it was traded it and in such great shape.

Jeff :cool:

As a huge CJ fan (currently own an ACT 2/series 2, Premier 350 and the original PV-1 that I bought 30 years ago...) there is an Older CJ sound and a newer one.

You are right that the older models like what you have are a bit more romantic and I would also call them a touch dark compared to the new stuff.

However, talk to Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio for some tubes. CJ will give you the standard stuff. It will cost you a bit more to go to Kevin, but if you tell him what you have and that you would like a bit more punch out of your preamp, he will hook you up.

I did just that with my PV-10 in my other system and the tubes made a world of difference.

CJ is fantastic about taking care of their old gear. I asked Lew Johnson about reworking my PV-1 and he said "if it doesn't hum, it's just fine. call us when it starts to hum and we'll rebuild it for you!"

Enjoy!

I have been reading a ton of things on the web regarding CJ. I will say this is one company that has a very good fan base and an even better reputation. I have chatted with a few CJ owners and it seems like you would have to pry the CJ equipment they own from their cold dead hands. It is good to know companies like this are around. Companies that support their legacy products. I hate when I call for support and I get “Oh we don’t make that anymore you will have to buy the new one".

The sound is amazing, the build quality is very good and the company stands behind their product. Cannot ask form more.

Just one question why no XLR connections on any of the CJ stuff?

The newest CJ, well, new to me anyway (PV-14L). What a beautiful pre both in the looks and sound category. I have now moved a few rungs up the ladder towards audio bliss.

Attachments

• PV14l.JPG
    PV14l.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 90
  • PV14l 2.JPG
    PV14l 2.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 86
Absolutely Awesome, Cherian! Now just match that puppy up with a tube or ss amp from CJ and you will have arrived at audio nirvana.

Looking for a CJ MV60SE Tube amp. Missed out on one on Audiogon by a few hours. Im still looking.

Back