Chin Spoiler - fast cheap simple and effective

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Chin Spoiler - fast/easy/cheap/effective

Extra deep garden edging 6" deep x 20 foot long coil purchased at ACE Hardware for approx. $12.00.
Secured straight up though the lip with a dozen Stainless Steel #8 Phillips screws 32 tread count, 1 inch long, lock nuts (nylon insert type) 9mm.

I'll post the fuel savings later in the week. For the first 50 miles driven today I've gone though less than 1/8 of a tank, normal is a hair over 1/8 tank. At 70 mph the engine is turning at 2,050 rpm, I think that is about 200 rpm less than before. So it's like I'm driving 5 mph slower than actual speed on the highway, and that is bound to add up. It only took a couple of hours to install.

Photo Gallery
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/S10 4x4 Pick Up/
SP10.jpg

I have enough material left over for two more trucks.
SP11.jpg

Automotive plus fill the binding holes, first securing point is centered.
SP13.jpg

SP12.jpg

Curb clearance is reduced from about 13 inches down to 7 or 8 inches, still double of my old Porsche 911 which has more of an overhang. I'm used to not pulling all the way up to a curb, don't do this modification if you are a curb knocker, or at least use a standard 4 inch PVC lawn edging in lieu of the deeper 6 inch one shown.
SP1.jpg

SP2.jpg

Some air gets in through the tow hooks, I'm not going to block these off until I can test engine temp's in summer while towing.
SP3.jpg

SP4.jpg

SP5.jpg

Compare it to my neighbor's stock S-10 4x4, from mid bumper down all that air gets compressed then sucked up under the vehicle by the vacuum/neg air pressure under the floor and tumbles around in drag causing vortexes.
SP6.jpg

SP7.jpg

SP9.jpg

SP8.jpg

Latest posts

Back