Cheater plug on Cary slp98p

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I recently got my tv out from between my speakers and have made a seperate HT around the corner from my now dedicated stereo listening area. I added two carver amps for the HT and am using my sunfire amp center channel for the ht via a long interconnect. The problem is that now whenever I plug my Cary slp98 in I get a nasty hum. A cheater on the Cary power supply fixes the issue all around.

I know this issue has been touched on but does anyone see any issues with this with the Cary pre? Thanks all

I just went through 2 months of "ground loop hell" since getting my new C-J preamp (see thread... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10648)

It's most likely that your ground loop is derived from having multiple A/V components all interconnected, but plugged into more than one power circuit. I would invest some time trying to isolate the source, which is most commonly a video cable, but not always.

I would spend some time reading all the great tips in the thread referenced above.

In my case, daisy-chaining everything from a single dedicated 20A line only eliminated 50% of the noise. My ultimate solution was to add a cheater plug to my C-J amp, which eliminated 100% of the hum from all other sources. According to C-J, keeping either the amp or preamp grounded is sufficient to eliminate the risk of a lethal shock, should one, or the other, develop a major electrical fault.

I sent Cary a note. They actually recommend it in the manual in one of their other preamps. I've got so much down here now. 3 amps , stereo tube pre, sunfire ht processor, bluray player , big screen, logans, descent, second sub for ht. But two seperate spaces. Trying to figure this out will be a challenge. The cheater is simple and if Cary says no sound degradation and no issue for the pre - I'm all in. Finding out that disconnecting the Cary removed the problem and then trying the Cheater on it was an act of god. :D

fyi -- the people from Cary say there are no issues related to using the cheater plug on the slp98p.... just wanted to follow up...

I ended up resorting to a cheater plug with my Pass X-250. I was unable to isolate the problem without it.

Lee

Back