Center recommendation for Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broussar88

Reaction score
I am running a pair of Ethos in my theater. I have an AT screen but I usually keep the left & right wide of the screen. I am looking to upgrade my center and I am debating 3 options.
My screen is a Silver Ticket with WAB material.
1. Find a single ethos or a pair and have a spare. I think a single is the best option as it will match the closest to L/R. The only difference being it will be behind the screen. Will I notice a difference of the center being behind the screen?
2. ESL-X single. There are a few singles for sale on eBay. Would be cheaper and easier to find than an ethos. Would there be a noticeable difference in sound compared to the ethos? Will that even matter if the biggest factor will be having it behind the screen?
3. A center speaker like the ESL-C or an older model like the stage. Cheapest option but likely the least optimal solution for matching sound.

Thanks

1. Find a single ethos or a pair and have a spare. I think a single is the best option as it will match the closest to L/R. The only difference being it will be behind the screen. Will I notice a difference of the center being behind the screen?
This would be my choice.
There is a minor HF drop-off behind the screen, but the DRC (Audyssey typically) will compensate when you re-run the DRC setup with the new speaker behind the screen.

Where in the world are you?
I have a 'spare' SL3 with a brand-new panel I might be willing to part with, even though it is part of the decor at the entrance to the HT

As for the smaller centers, I'd not bother since you can host a full-sized ESL there. Even an older model with refreshed panel / woofer is going to do better than even a C18.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I currently have a sequel II for the center so I'm probably ok with that until I find an ethos or sell my sequel pair.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I currently have a sequel II for the center so I'm probably ok with that until I find an ethos or sell my sequel pair.
The panel of the Sequel is the same as an SL3, and it does a good job of keeping up with larger speakers, such as the Monoliths.
You could pair a refreshed Sequel with a JBL C1000E woofer line-array for something pretty close to my SL3XC center.

Back