Center chanel for Martin Logan Ascent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloebel

Reaction score
Hi at all,

I'm new in this club and I come from Switzerland (please excuse my bad english)

I have already a pair of Martin Logan Ascent.

Now I looking for a center chanel speaker to complete the front of my surround system.

I have the possibility to buy a Martin Logan Cinema i or a Martin Logan Theater i.

The problem is I have no possibility in Switzerland to hear this both together.

So I have not the possibility to recognize the sound difference between this both.

The Martin Logan Cinema i is about $2300 cheaper than the Martin Logan Theater i. (Martin Logan Speakers are very expensive in Switzerland :( )

Now my question is: how big ist the sound difference from the Cinema i to the Theater i? Is the sound difference so big that it's worth it to pay the price difference of $2300 from the Cinema i to the Theater i and buy the Theater i?

Can anybody help me at this problem?

Thanks and kind Regards

Mathias

I also have the Ascents for mains. I have owned a Cinema center channel speaker for years and have been somewhat happy with it. At the time I purchased the Cinema, I didn't really have the extra money for a Theater. There have been many times when I've regretted not waiting and saving up for the Theater. If the Theater is within your budget....I say go for it.

I also have the Ascents as mains. I was able to audition both the Cinema and Theater when I bought my center channel. I thought the Theater was way better than the Cinema, so thats what I got. I have never regretted my decision for a minute. If you can swing the Theater I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Hi at all

thanks for your answers!

@KCWolfPck

I see that you have upgradet your center chanel with the Stage.

Why you have upgradet whit the Stage and not with the Theater i?

My dealer says that the Stage not match good with the Ascents because the Stage have the Xstat technology and the Ascents not, is that true? My dealer says also that the sound difference between the Cinema i and the Stage is to slight for pay the price difference. ($1000) ist that also true?

Otherwise the Stage would also a possibility, because the Stage is cheaper than the Theater i.

I haven't received delivery of the Stage yet. From what I read here before ordering, the Stage is as good as or better than the Theater i.

The reason I got the Stage w/ Xstat is because I plan on upgrading my mains to the Vantages real soon. I am upgrading as my current speakers sell.

I have Ascent i's with the Theater i and I think it's a great match. The Theater is full and natural sounding and blends perfectly with the Ascents. I have not once regreted my decision to buy the Theater of the Cinema. Good luck with your decision!

I've talked about this before, and I would highly recommend the Theater over the Cinema. Back in 2002 I upgraded my home theater/music system to Ascents with a Cinema center channel. My audio guy talked me into trying the Theater center for awhile. I was hesitant because, like you, I wasn't sure the difference in sound would warrant almost doubling the price (something like $1250 to $2500 at the time). But he insisted it would be worth the try and, boy, was he ever right. I was blown away at the difference that it made when playing movies. I knew that the center speaker is supposed to be the most important one in a home theater, I just hadn't realized how much different it would be. The Cinema is an excellent center speaker; the Theater is just that much better in a home theater. (I never plugged the Cinema back in, by the way. It only took a few 'reference' movies and an hour or so for me to tell them to take it back.)

Hi

Thanks for your many answers!

Ok i see now that the Theater i and also the Stage is better than the Cinema i.
When I compare optically the Stage with the Theater i, then I see that the Theater i is many bigger than the Stage. The Theater i have two bigger bass Speakers and three tweeter also the Theater i have more panel than the Stage. Now I ask me how can the Stage be as good as or better than the Theater i?

Hi

When I compare optically the Stage with the Theater i, then I see that the Theater i is many bigger than the Stage. The Theater i have two bigger bass Speakers and three tweeter also the Theater i have more panel than the Stage. Now I ask me how can the Stage be as good as or better than the Theater i?
Hola...first of all, trust your ears, and get the one that you liked most. Now, my liking is the Stage and it is more coherent because the tweeter is "time aligned" with the stat panel. The voices are more natural balanced and due to the stat panel type, it has better dynamics and better resolution. The micro-perf stat and the Xtat (and extra ML process that makes better diaphragm uniform shape) allows to have more panel to be exposed, making this to be more efficient than the panel at the Theater i. Listen as an example, the voices of the artists in "Shrek III", Antonio Banderas, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy. O course the other actors are trully with us too. Again, trust your ears and choose the one that you did liked most. If you are listen too much the center, adjust the level -3dBs and listen again. You will make any ML model to blend with your FL and FR, regardless of what model you are using. Hope this could help, happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi

The Stage is made with the newer generation "x-stat" panel, which puts out more sound from a smaller size panel than the older gen. panel. The Stage is likely to match better sonically with the newer generation MLs, such as the Summit, Vantage, Vista, Source, & Purity. The Theater i will probably match better sonically with the older generation models like the Prodigy, Odyssey, Ascent, Clarity, etc. They are both great speakers, but if you are not planning on upgrading your Ascents to Summits or Vantages, I would say save the money and get a Theater i, as it will match better with your Ascents.

The Stage is made with the newer generation "x-stat" panel, which puts out more sound from a smaller size panel than the older gen. panel. The Stage is likely to match better sonically with the newer generation MLs, such as the Summit, Vantage, Vista, Source, & Purity. The Theater i will probably match better sonically with the older generation models like the Prodigy, Odyssey, Ascent, Clarity, etc. They are both great speakers, but if you are not planning on upgrading your Ascents to Summits or Vantages, I would say save the money and get a Theater i, as it will match better with your Ascents.

I have the Ascent I and Theater I. Can't comment on the Stage, but I would agree with Rich - tonal and timbre matching is key! Especially with home theater and having sounds cross from left to centre to right. It really makes a difference.

There has been substantial increases on content crossing the centre spkr vs 8 - 10 yrs ago, hence have become more important. I auditioned the Theatre / Cinema. Huge huge difference. If you can afford, I recommend Theatre I, but both are still good regardless!

Henry

Back